kid_just_wants_to_fish

Fishing Backpacks

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Dry Case backpack.  Got during a penn reels promotion.  Best waterproof bag I ever owned.  I have beat the hell out it for the last several years and still going strong.  

I see consistently good reviews for the EGO Kryptek backpack, bit over your budget though and has an uneccesary tactical look to it IMO. Piscifun makes a well rated one with a ton of storage I think it's around $100. I just bought the bass pro advanced angler backpack but hasn't arrived yet, was $90 with the usual mix of ratings.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just got one for my kid.   He loves it,  seems sturdy with good storage options.  After lots of research this seemed to be the best value,  not waterproof though.   

Samurai Tactical Seigyo Slim Tackle Backpack 

FEATURES:

• 2 large main compartments
  • Laser-cut MOLLE on front
  • Side compression straps
  • Bottom lashing straps
  • 2 external pockets with zipper closures
  • Side hypalon loops can hold two fishing rods
  • 2L hydration compatible
  • Includes 1 medium utility box
  • Brand : Samurai Tactical
Edited by Sawzall

19 mins ago, BG_NJ said:

I see consistently good reviews for the EGO Kryptek backpack, bit over your budget though and has an uneccesary tactical look to it IMO. Piscifun makes a well rated one with a ton of storage I think it's around $100. I just bought the bass pro advanced angler backpack but hasn't arrived yet, was $90 with the usual mix of ratings.

Disclaimer - The only experience I have with any tackle backpack is the research I did in finding one for my kid. 

The big issue I had with the EGO was the design,  having the top/bottom option limits the size box you can put in it, and the Plano version (very similar design) gets lots of complaints about that setup.   I have the EGO 55L duffel,  and they are bombproof,  but expensive,  and the actual volume includes the third of the bag that you have to roll down to make it work as a dry bag (misleading) I got a steep discount on that otherwise it would have been returned.

Edited by Sawzall

I like my Spiderwire pack.

Holds much more than you need, enough pockets to access stuff quickly, has held up well, pretty water resistant (not going to swim with it) and most importantly...comfortable.

Well south of $100.

$0.02

If you want something durable and waterproof, SealLine makes a number of waterproof packs.

They're designed to bounce around in the bottom of a canoe or kayak on extended expeditions.

I've used their strapless sacks for years. The pack version should be about as tough and waterproof as anything out there.

No boxes or other accessories - just a big sack with straps.

They have a 65 liter bag for about 120$ 

I've had several fishing packs over the years.. none were waterproof.. most I'd spray with tent waterproofing spray a few x a season, as I do my boat bags... I just give them a good rinse after use as w all my gear.  And some silicone spray on the zippers a few x a year.

You may want to take a look at the hart tool backpack from wallyworld... I think it was $30.. not many pockets on the outside but tons of spaces to fill inside.. it fits several plano cases (I prefer the watertight locking model) but there are pockets inside that fit individual tubes nicely as well.. Just like my surf bag tubes, but with caps (amazon)... There is a place to put everything inside this pack.. 

After storage boxes/tubes and whatever else you may need, and it's totally customized for under +/- $60

With a little tent spray its very water resistant..

If waterproof is an absolute must, maybe for wading?, Then that fishpond thunderhead is really nice.. but for $300 I'd be mindful of my hooks in the dark..

There are a ton of bike commuter backpacks that are 100% waterproof and durable. I used to commuter to work in in downpours and the contents were bone dry (including my laptop). They are highly functional, with easy access pockets, heavy danier and streamlined for biking (thus fishing). 
they can be expensive, but I remember using a Banjo Commuter bag that was under $100 that worked for years. 
it obviously doesn’t come with boxes, but if they’re not 3700’s , there too small anyway, and none come with big boxes.

Edited by Jason B

Have an old Jan sport  for the beach ...and decanter what I need into my surf bag ....and an old Orr bag for boat fishing heavy plastic bottom .....if I don’t catch fish with what I have with me so be it ...can’t take the kitchen sink with you ,it’s still a nice day 

I, too, am/was on the hunt for a good fishing backpack.  

I do not like the current trend of backpacks where they have the stack of 4 boxes on the bottom.  Stuff in the compartment over them will push down and make it a pain to put the boxes back in.  Plus, the pack deforms if there isn't 4 boxes on the bottom.

Yes, I can use any old backpack, butt a fishing specific backpack has all kinds of pockets for gadgets and things.  The best backpack I ever had was the Penn Fishing backpack.  It was big and roomy and had all kinds of pockets for stuff.  I wore that thing out.

The replacement was a Calcutta backpack....this thing.

IMG_9360.JPG.68bc448f08b41c14e41062204ce71c6d.JPG

They don't sell them anymore.  Its no where as big as the Penn one, butt its a decent replacement.  Lots of little pockets.

IMG_9361.JPG.91ceb782e12a7f80586c62cd3e0ab6ee.JPG

I wish they would make the Penn backpack available again.  I would buy two.  As for all the other backs available out there, I find it amazing that they don't show pics of the inside of the little pockets.  I find a fishing backpack with little or no little pockets fairly useless.

Sorry for not posting a specific recommendation.

17 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

I agree with this

I would look at back-country back packs, there are some mid-range hiking packs that offer a lot, or a little storage, support and durability in a better price than name brand fishing markted equipment, as previously stated.  Go to an REI store if you can, they have an enormous selection of backpacks that you really need to handle to make the right choice. Lots of other cross-over applications for fishing as well....

I work part time at REI in the camping department. As DeepBlue mentioned we have a really good selection of packs ranging in size from 15 liters (Day hikes) to 70 liters (Through hiking) with all kinds of pockets and storage possibilities. Most packs are water repellent vs waterproof. Some come with a waterproof rain cover that slips over the pack like a shower cap making it water proof. These can also be purchases separately. There are a few packs that are made for skiing and snowboarding that are waterproof. They're huge thou. We also carry different sizes of dry bags that can be put inside a pack to protect your contents from rain or water. 

There are a few backpack style dry bags as well. We had one in our store recently from Sea and Summit about 30 litters w/ a roll top dry bag, backpacking straps and a shock cord lace on the outside for extra storage. I little pricey but a nice bag. Would easily hold a few boxes, extra hoodie, lunch and water. I had my eye on it for a couple weeks now. 

Edited by PeteA

16 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

I was also looking at the Piscifun backpack. I think it's a good pick.

1 hour ago, KenY said:

I, too, am/was on the hunt for a good fishing backpack.  

I do not like the current trend of backpacks where they have the stack of 4 boxes on the bottom.  Stuff in the compartment over them will push down and make it a pain to put the boxes back in.  Plus, the pack deforms if there isn't 4 boxes on the bottom.

Yes, I can use any old backpack, butt a fishing specific backpack has all kinds of pockets for gadgets and things.  The best backpack I ever had was the Penn Fishing backpack.  It was big and roomy and had all kinds of pockets for stuff.  I wore that thing out.

The replacement was a Calcutta backpack....this thing.

IMG_9360.JPG.68bc448f08b41c14e41062204ce71c6d.JPG

They don't sell them anymore.  Its no where as big as the Penn one, butt its a decent replacement.  Lots of little pockets.

IMG_9361.JPG.91ceb782e12a7f80586c62cd3e0ab6ee.JPG

I wish they would make the Penn backpack available again.  I would buy two.  As for all the other backs available out there, I find it amazing that they don't show pics of the inside of the little pockets.  I find a fishing backpack with little or no little pockets fairly useless.

Sorry for not posting a specific recommendation.

no worry