Skunkoff

American Legacy

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I have bought some rods and reels from them but never used any of their used equipment offerings or services. 

They are a major source for one manufacturers rods which I own quite a few of and never a complaint. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just got my quote to trade in a brand new Abu Revo X.  $35 and $10 for a shipping label brings it to $25.  20% off promo adds $7.  Total trade-in of $32.  Anyone think this is low balling?

They had a $10 gift promo too but expired before I received my quote (of course).

Edited by Skunkoff

Seems low but I'm not too surprised. They're selling as low as $60 shipped on eBay. Even if it's brand new they can't sell it for retail, figure 20-30% off. To make it worth their time they probably want to pay 50% of what they can sell it for unless it's something in high demand.

Assuming they're giving you store credit I'd definitely want to get more than that before considering trading something in rather than selling it myself.

Not very surprised, just like iPhones, usually can sell it $100-150 above trade-in.  At least, they gave you a warning first on the trade in page

Values

Depending on make rods typically are appraised at 25% – 45% of current MSRP. Reels range in value from 20% – 40% of current MSRP. All values depend greatly on the condition, age, and brand of rod or reel being traded. Our goal is to offer you values that reflect the current resale value (what you would expect to sell it for) of your equipment less a 10% fee for handling, etc.

We expect the condition of all rods and reels to be honestly and accurately described. If we receive the trades in lesser condition than described, we will re-evaluate the values and call you back to discuss possible options. This very rarely happens, but we do greatly appreciate accurate descriptions of your trade-ins.