RAW

Best 4-6 lb braid for ultra light lures?

58 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I'll still never forget that brown that waked off the bank right by where that pic of me was taken.....that was insane.  I've never seen a trout do that...hell I've never seen a trout try to eat another trout in a river before..lolol

 

Then there was that crazy brown that charged a bait right off the rod tip....missed it...swung around...I almost jumped clear out the water and it still hit my leg on the way back...then smashed the bait.

 

The Big Trout hold insanely shallow in that river and they make their living eating stocked trout.

Edited by Jay Blair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jay Blair said:

We tease folks and call it the dead river, because you can fish for hours and swear nothing is in there and then you round a bend and you are surrounded by big trout.

 

Gorges are tough areas to fish and when you have the limited access you are hoofing it a long way.

 

Tough place to fish, but worth it IMO. 

 

From the Upper Gorge area:

 

 

IMG_9294.JPG

IMG_9308.JPG

IMG_9301.JPG

20161114_161254_001.jpg

IMG_9311.JPG

It’s soooo coool that you’re wife joins you on these adventures!

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

⁴The GL3 rods are a bit higher modulus than IM6 with superior resins. It's superior for many things like light action steelhead rods and are also the superior choice for hot shot type rods, they have a much better durability record than IMX with not that much of a difference in modulus. GL2,3,4 were introduced sometime around '92, GLX in '94. NRX maybe 14 years ago. Took them a while to reintroduce IMX and drop GL4, IMX was their high end material for sometime before '92, .the first graphite scrim material used in rod building. When it was reintroduced it had a high grade glass scrim for better durability.

Edited by spoonplugger1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, spoonplugger1 said:

⁴The GL3 rods are a bit higher modulus than IM6 with superior resins. It's superior for many things like light action steelhead rods and are also the superior choice for hot shot type rods, they have a much better durability record than IMX with not that much of a difference in modulus. GL2,3,4 were introduced sometime around '92, GLX in '94. NRX maybe 14 years ago. Took them a while to reintroduce IMX and drop GL4, IMX was their high end material for sometime before '92, .the first graphite scrim material used in rod building. When it was reintroduced it had a high grade glass scrim for better durability.

Hey Spoonplugger,

This is interesting info, but if, curious if you didn't accidentally post this in the wrong thread.

This info about rod black quality seems out of place in a discussion thread about braid.

There are several other threads about rods that might have been your intended target.

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2021 at 0:01 AM, scoobydoo said:

I've settled on 6lb .003 berkley x 9

very thin...far thinner than sufix 832 6lb

 

Handles beautfully.  Ordered a second 300 yard spool the other day. (i don't buy many follow up spools as I'm cycle through so many braided lines.)

No issues with "wind" knots as others have suggested?  also,,according the specs I just pulled up it says the X9 is .003 in (8lb),not 6... Am I incorrect? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spoonplugger1 said:

jjdbike, look at page one, you were also in the conversation. 

Oh yes.... Thanks.

I'm still trying to pinpoint my new replacement rod. I', guessing it'll be setup for braid.

Best regards.

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2021 at 9:45 PM, cashews121 said:

No issues with "wind" knots as others have suggested?  also,,according the specs I just pulled up it says the X9 is .003 in (8lb),not 6... Am I incorrect? 

I could be entirely wrong, but... There are 2 versions of the X9.. the jordan Lee version comes in 6lb listed at .003...

 

The 8lb I see advertised at .004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I could be entirely wrong, but... There are 2 versions of the X9.. the jordan Lee version comes in 6lb listed at .003...

 

The 8lb I see advertised at .004

Wasn’t aware of this. I am gonna guess,is Jordan lee is a freshwater guy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, cashews121 said:

Wasn’t aware of this. I am gonna guess,is Jordan lee is a freshwater guy?

:shrug:... I don't follow "pro" anything.. so I honestly couldn't tell you who the dude is..

All I knew was I have used the X9 in 6lb so I was sure it was available.. and when I checked their site I noticed they had 2 variants of the same braid..

 

At the time, I chose that box because I preferred the color.. i had no idea 6lb wasn't available in the other color options..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member