RAW

Best 4-6 lb braid for ultra light lures?

58 posts in this topic

30 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I've settled on 6lb .003 berkley x 9

very thin...far thinner than sufix 832 6lb

Handles beautfully.  Ordered a second 300 yard spool the other day. (i don't buy many follow up spools as I'm cycle through so many braided lines.)

You need to try YGK Upgrade x8 in 14 or 16lb!

Used to do a lot of mini-jigging for planter trout.  10-12 years ago I settled on 1 lb. competition fireline crystal and never looked back.  Ease of management was good as compaired with other true braids with older reels.  Typical jig weights used were between 1/80 and 1/32 oz.  Typical setup was 3 ft. of 4 lb fluoro tied to a home made closed S links made out of .020" stainless wire.  No-knot quick clip on the business end.  1 lb competition fireline crystal attached to home made S clip with a double line improved trilene knot yielded a knot break strength of 3.3 lb.  2 lb Fireline crystal yielded 5.6 lb knot break strength.  Very manageable and a pleasure to use even on reels like a Tica SB500 which isn't known for good line lay.  All of a sudden those dinky toy like  PITA 500 series reels actually became real serviceable tools.

I may have made a post of two about this in more depth a few years ago just in case anyone may be interested in searching.

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

You need to try YGK Upgrade x8 in 14 or 16lb!

It's almost double the diameter..I'll pass.  

1 min ago, bass11 said:

Used to do a lot of mini-jigging for planter trout.  10-12 years ago I settled on 1 lb. competition fireline crystal and never looked back.  Ease of management was good as compaired with other true braids with older reels.  Typical jig weights used were between 1/80 and 1/32 oz.  Typical setup was 3 ft. of 4 lb fluoro tied to a home made closed S links made out of .020" stainless wire.  No-knot quick clip on the business end.  1 lb competition fireline crystal attached to home made S clip with a double line improved trilene knot yielded a knot break strength of 3.3 lb.  2 lb Fireline crystal yielded 5.6 lb knot break strength.  Very manageable and a pleasure to use even on reels like a Tica SB500 which isn't known for good line lay.  All of a sudden those dinky toy like  PITA 500 series reels actually became real serviceable tools.

I may have made a post of two about this in more depth a few years ago just in case anyone may be interested in searching.

I recall you mentioning your s links a looong time ago.  Good stuff :)

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

no wayyyyyy

I use overhangs as a backboard to mimic stuff falling.

I created a trout blitz in one of the most beautiful stretches of water I've ever seen.....there was a monster brown chasing a smaller brown in a riffle too...

@Jay Blair   Remember that!!!

Then the giant boulder around the bend.   I'll never forget zombie twitching a bait..not paying attention...thought it hung on a rock....gave it steady pressure....then there was a monster head shake...I turned to look and saw the head of a yardstick brown just rolll and out came my bait......

I do, one of the largest freestone brown trout I have ever seen woofed your lure on that trip. 

Lets go back this year for those Jurassic Browns.

Edited by Jay Blair

5 hours ago, Jay Blair said:

I do, one of the largest freestone brown trout I have ever seen woofed your lure on that trip. 

Lets go back this year for those Jurassic Browns.

Dude I still remember before I hooked that fish.. We were standing on top of a Boulder the size of house trying to figure out how to continue down the river lolol.... And we came up with no solution lol

50 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Dude I still remember before I hooked that fish.. We were standing on top of a Boulder the size of house trying to figure out how to continue down the river lolol.... And we came up with no solution lol

Well, we were a little tired at that point and the river gorge is like that.

Maybe we can land one this year.

Edited by Jay Blair

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

40 mins ago, Jay Blair said:

Well, we were a little tired at that point and the river gorge is like that.

Maybe we can land one this year.

Oh man, that sounds epic!

I hope you can get some photo or video footage to share.

JD

5 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Oh man, that sounds epic!

I hope you can get some photo or video footage to share.

JD

It was one of the craziest beats I've ever fished.

String of islands.....only the one side of the river was bone dry because beavers dammed it at the first island.......damned the gaps between the islands then dammed the last one....so we waded through 6" of water....walked right up to the backside of the beaver blockades between the islands...then cast into 6' of water on the other side.   

We had browns coming to the rod tips standing in inches of water which should have been almost chest deep.....

To this day that river stands out as the most challenging water I've ever waded.

Crazy boulders wood and rock, current....a surprise in every step :) and an epic pool around every blind spot.

4 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

String of islands.....only the one side of the river was bone dry because beavers dammed it at the first island.......damned the gaps between the islands then dammed the last one....so we waded through 6" of water....walked right up to the backside of the beaver blockades between the islands...then cast into 6' of water on the other side.   

We had browns coming to the rod tips standing in inches of water which should have been almost chest deep.....

To this day that river stands out as the most challenging water I've ever waded.

Crazy boulders wood and rock, current....a surprise in every step :) and an epic pool around every blind spot.

Sweet!

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime and incredible memories.

JD

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

We tease folks and call it the dead river, because you can fish for hours and swear nothing is in there and then you round a bend and you are surrounded by big trout.

Gorges are tough areas to fish and when you have the limited access you are hoofing it a long way.

Tough place to fish, but worth it IMO. 

From the Upper Gorge area:

IMG_9294.JPG

IMG_9308.JPG

IMG_9301.JPG

20161114_161254_001.jpg

IMG_9311.JPG

8 mins ago, Jay Blair said:

We tease folks and call it the dead river, because you can fish for hours and swear nothing is in there and then you round a bend and you are surrounded by big trout.

Gorges are tough areas to fish and when you have the limited access you are hoofing it a long way.

Tough place to fish, but worth it IMO. 

From the Upper Gorge area:

IMG_9294.JPG

IMG_9308.JPG

IMG_9301.JPG

20161114_161254_001.jpg

IMG_9311.JPG

I'll still never forget that brown that waked off the bank right by where that pic of me was taken.....that was insane.  I've never seen a trout do that...hell I've never seen a trout try to eat another trout in a river before..lolol

Then there was that crazy brown that charged a bait right off the rod tip....missed it...swung around...I almost jumped clear out the water and it still hit my leg on the way back...then smashed the bait.