RAW

Best 4-6 lb braid for ultra light lures?

58 posts in this topic

I always used mono. I could be wrong but I think the line visibility plays a role. Plus I think the stretch of the mono puts less stress  considering trout have really soft lips. My biggest thing was with all the rocks where I fish I change out the line once a week. 4lb mono is dirt cheap.

If I don't bring the fly rod, I use 10# Yo-Zuri Superbraid 8 strand- easily my favorite braid on my Stradic FL 1000. That combination casts like a dream! @aquaholik made a good video to highlight the 8 strand:

The video is the 15# but you will get the gist. It's not the ABS that makes it a great line anyway. As a bonus I love the Camo and White colors for stealthy presentations- Camo for intermediate/deep fish or White when fishing on top.

15 mins ago, Sir Defyable said:

If I don't bring the fly rod, I use 10# Yo-Zuri Superbraid 8 strand- easily my favorite braid on my Stradic FL 1000. That combination casts like a dream! @aquaholik made a good video to highlight the 8 strand:

The video is the 15# but you will get the gist. It's not the ABS that makes it a great line anyway. As a bonus I love the Camo and White colors for stealthy presentations- Camo for intermediate/deep fish or White when fishing on top.

How much does your Stradic hold? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use 6 lb. Daiwa 8X J- braid with light leaders for light and ultra light trout fishing. It handles well, casts further than many of the braids, doesn't fuzz, has enough body to handle well, ties good knots, and resist line twist which can be a real problem with the super light thin braids.

If the line gets twisted while you are using it it will significantly weaken some of super thin braids and most of them are not a round as J-braid.  

Nothing like a few break offs to ruin your fishing day in a hurry.

I know a few folks that like 4lb. and 3lb. braids and Nanofil, for trout fishing but I am not a fan. Too many line management and knot issues. I can cast 1/32 oz. micro jigs with 6lb. J-braid and that is good enough because I don't cast anything lighter with spinning tackle. Most ultralight trout lure fall are in the 1/16 to 1/12th oz. range. Once you move up to a 1/8th oz, and above it it light to medium light tackle depending on the rod rating and the manufacturer.

Edited by Jay Blair

4 hours ago, makomania said:

How much does your Stradic hold? 

Not quite the 150, but about ten yards short. I have five or six wraps of mono under there too but that's only two yards worth

1D248553-E187-4A0B-AD6D-FB0FB054074D.jpeg

The line was spooled on after reversing off of a reel with yellow braid backing, if you were curious as to the tint. It will wipe off but it's something to consider.

Edited by Sir Defyable
Tint clarification

I would stick with a copolomer line such as pline flouroclear.  Trout are line shy, so i always used the lightest/clearest line possible and minimal terminal tackle.  The only reason i would consider using braid would be for fishing artificials in a reservoir where long casts are paramount.  Other than that Pline flouroclear is my go to.  Why deal with wind knots and twisted braid from spinners or spoons if there is no benefit??

Edited by MikeK
Spelling

45 mins ago, MikeK said:

I would stick with a copolomer line such as pline flouroclear.  Trout are line shy, so i always used the lightest/clearest line possible and minimal terminal tackle.  The only reason i would consider using braid would be for fishing artificials in a reservoir where long casts are paramount.  Other than that Pline flouroclear is my go to.  Why deal with wind knots and twisted braid from spinners or spoons if there is no benefit??

I agree that braid has its place, and I like 4# mono just fine for a lot of applications. Throwing spoons and spinners with braid leads to less issues with twisting in my opinion. Using the example of small Yo Zuri plugs, or another example is my go to LC Wanderer, using braid and a long leader really helps with casting such light weight projectiles. If I hook into a mean brown or a bass I have more chances of keeping the fish from structure (and saving a $20 plug) compared to my 4# light setup.

As far as fish being shy, if I can catch them with an intermediate fly line I can probably catch them on braid- I use a longer rod to allow for a longer leader too. Loosening the drag to protect the fish's mouth on the hookset would be a good suggestion as well.

Either way, I do like fluoroclear also. It's good, inexpensive line. It's all I use for tying fluke rigs in the summer too (in heavier test obviously)

On 1/3/2021 at 0:30 PM, Captain Ahab said:

I use only braid.  For trout I still go with 10lb because anything less is a wind knot I will never win lol.  

Just use a long light leader like 3 to 5 foot of 6lb or even 4lb floro.  I cast those 2" plugs just fine

I guarantee my 10lb braid will out cast your 4 lb mono

On 1/4/2021 at 0:19 PM, Lateral Line said:

I like 10 lb braid. I have a hard time with handling, knots, etc, any lighter.

Like the Capt. says...

Thinking about trying this....

You guys using knot or swivel for the braid to mono?  What knot if your not using swivel?  

Why I don't know.  I think I'm sitting on 30k yards of mono atm. :why:

4 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Thinking about trying this....

You guys using knot or swivel for the braid to mono?  What knot if your not using swivel?  

Why I don't know.  I think I'm sitting on 30k yards of mono atm. :why:

I always use a knot - usually a modified 5 turn alberto style.  Because of the longer leader, it is often going through the guides, not usually on the cast but definitely on the set up to cast while I adjust the length 

2 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

I always use a knot - usually a modified 5 turn alberto style.  Because of the longer leader, it is often going through the guides, not usually on the cast but definitely on the set up to cast while I adjust the length 

I use a shorter leader and not go through the guides with the knot. 

Works for me. But I do use longer rods, so my leader is about 24" to 30".

On 1/4/2021 at 5:43 PM, hobobob said:

Braids sticks to brushes and overhang like snots. 

no wayyyyyy

I use overhangs as a backboard to mimic stuff falling.

I created a trout blitz in one of the most beautiful stretches of water I've ever seen.....there was a monster brown chasing a smaller brown in a riffle too...

@Jay Blair   Remember that!!!

Then the giant boulder around the bend.   I'll never forget zombie twitching a bait..not paying attention...thought it hung on a rock....gave it steady pressure....then there was a monster head shake...I turned to look and saw the head of a yardstick brown just rolll and out came my bait......

I've settled on 6lb .003 berkley x 9

very thin...far thinner than sufix 832 6lb

Handles beautfully.  Ordered a second 300 yard spool the other day. (i don't buy many follow up spools as I'm cycle through so many braided lines.)