RAW

Best 4-6 lb braid for ultra light lures?

58 posts in this topic

Trying to refine my trout plug fishing, Using a good quality 6.6 rod, with mono,. Thinking braid might work better? Throwing Yozuri 2.5" pin minnows

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use only braid.  For trout I still go with 10lb because anything less is a wind knot I will never win lol.  

Just use a long light leader like 3 to 5 foot of 6lb or even 4lb floro.  I cast those 2" plugs just fine

I guarantee my 10lb braid will out cast your 4 lb mono

Edited by Captain Ahab

I like 6# Berkely Nanofil to long cast a bubble and fly with a 9'6" rod and Stradic 1000.  The slick coating really adds distance with a filled bubble.

26 mins ago, Mike Mendez said:

I like 6# Berkely Nanofil to long cast a bubble and fly with a 9'6" rod and Stradic 1000.  The slick coating really adds distance with a filled bubble.

I’ve been doing the same thing, what rod are you using?

I was a big fan of 6 pound Fireline, I’ve also used five or 6 pound power pro with excellent results

I’m looking into the suffix nano braid for this season

1 hour ago, makomania said:

I use a G-Loomis IMX STR1141 and a 1.75" to 2" bubble with a 6' fluorocarbon leader.  The long rod makes casting a lot easier.

My buddy has a GL3 STR1141 and the action is lighter than my IMX.  Not sure why.

3 hours ago, RAW said:

Trying to refine my trout plug fishing, Using a good quality 6.6 rod, with mono,. Thinking braid might work better? Throwing Yozuri 2.5" pin minnows

Great question. I'd like to know as well.. Thanks for posting this.

3 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I use only braid.  For trout I still go with 10lb because anything less is a wind knot I will never win lol.  

Just use a long light leader like 3 to 5 foot of 6lb or even 4lb floro.  I cast those 2" plugs just fine

Nice!

2 hours ago, makomania said:

Good question.... I'm in the market for a G. Loomis trout rod myself!

1 hour ago, Mike Mendez said:

I use a G-Loomis IMX STR1141 and a 1.75" to 2" bubble with a 6' fluorocarbon leader.  The long rod makes casting a lot easier.

My buddy has a GL3 STR1141 and the action is lighter than my IMX.  Not sure why.

That's interesting. Is the GL3 that "Fiber Blend Blank"? I've read many reviews saying these are too slow, mushy, to the point that casting stinks. 

I'm struggling to find an IMX that fits my specs and GLX or above would really push my budget, as I need to buy three rods this spring.

JD

Just now, jjdbike said:

Nice!

That's interesting. Is the GL3 that "Fiber Blend Blank"? I've read many reviews saying these are too slow, mushy, to the point that casting stinks. 

I'm struggling to find an IMX that fits my specs and GLX or above would really push my budget, as I need to buy three rods this spring.

JD

I’m using a GL3 for float n fly now, I’ll get the model, and can confirm the graphite blend is soft. 

im looking at some st.croixs or a used loomis IMX if I can find one 

Possibly a North Fork Composites, a friend has the ST 962-2 and it was fun with stockies. I’d go up a power for F&F 

7 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Nice!

JD

you do not need anything beter then 6'6" or 7' rod ,medium,medium or medium,light, i have 100 rods and i can cover that with one rod Saint croix 7' medium ,light with 20# braid,casting,troling,jiging and bober fishing,fish up to 50#.6'6" is moust acuret rod,pricision casting.

1 min ago, snag777 said:

you do not need anything beter then 6'6" or 7' rod ,medium,medium or medium,light, i have 100 rods and i can cover that with one rod Saint croix 7' medium ,light with 20# braid,casting,troling,jiging and bober fishing,fish up to 50#.6'6" is moust acuret rod,pricision casting.

I like long ones to cast a float n fly. Using a 6’ leader. 

8 mins ago, makomania said:

I like long ones to cast a float n fly. Using a 6’ leader. 

i use that 7' all year around for every fish,only if i go steelie fishing i use noodle rod 10'6",this rod prevent the steelie to trow hook,it is all time loaded like noodle.

Thanks for replies, I fish this 6.6 as most areas are in and under trees, small creeks. Do not remember maker, but thinking it was Lamiglas. Micro Penn reel, And yes I am getting, wind loops?

19 mins ago, RAW said:

Thanks for replies, I fish this 6.6 as most areas are in and under trees, small creeks. Do not remember maker, but thinking it was Lamiglas. Micro Penn reel, And yes I am getting, wind loops?

to solve the wind knut problem,go to biger reel and put less line on spool,like BG 300 it is light reel,whot you looking for ? longer cast.i use 20# or 30# braid all time with swivel and 24" mono leader,if you need longer cast ad jig to swivel and lure on end mono leader.

I really like the original fireline in 6lb.  It’s a little stiffer than the other braids.  I tried the crystal once and after 5 casts losing two plugs I pulled if off my reel never to use again.  The original is like steel cable. 

I am also really careful about keeping an eye on a sloppy cast to make sure a lazy loop doesn’t end up over the top of the spool to prevent wind knots. 

23 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I like 10 lb braid. I have a hard time with handling, knots, etc, any lighter.

Like the Capt. says...