zak-striper

Winter trout 2021

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yesterday I fished the last couple hours of daylight at my favorite trout pond.

I had a slip bobber with shiners on one rod. I threw metals and lures on a 2nd rod.

The bite on lures at this location has been slow the last couple times I've been out. I got my one fish, a brown, on the bait rod, a little after sunset. 

My first fish of 2021! Hopefully it's a good season. 

20210102_164620.jpg.274de408d8dac30aed20138b0b3df0c3.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

20 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Yesterday I fished the last couple hours of daylight at my favorite trout pond.

I had a slip bobber with shiners on one rod. I threw metals and lures on a 2nd rod.

The bite on lures at this location has been slow the last couple times I've been out. I got my one fish, a brown, on the bait rod, a little after sunset. 

My first fish on 2021! Hopefully it's a good season. 

20210102_164620.jpg.274de408d8dac30aed20138b0b3df0c3.jpg

That would be amazing smoked.  :drool:

8 hours ago, bob_G said:

That would be amazing smoked.  :drool:

If I get 3 'bows or a mix of browns and 'bows, I'll be giving you a call!

The smoked steelhead from Boston Smoked Fish is amazing. I want to see you work your magic on some trout. :)

Edited by zak-striper

Stuck in limbo here locally. Skim ice blocking open water, ice not safe for walking on.

My kid was pestering me to take him to try some Christmas gift gear. We spent some time tossing rocks on the ice from shore. He wanted to try to cast a line out to the holes made by the rocks going through. 

Kid's hard-core. Reminds me of young me. That's a scary thought. 

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

Stuck in limbo here locally. Skim ice blocking open water, ice not safe for walking on.

The trout ponds near me iced over during the cold snap the 1st week of December.  They opened back up when we had the 50° days and rain around Christmas. One was 1/4 covered with ice on New Year's day. Yesterday the NW wind blew any ice on the pond on to the south shoreline making that shore unfishable at spots. They might ice  back over this week with temps only in the 30s all week so I might not wet a line in a while.

So my take on the trout is the fishery may be best late evening, even into dark this time of year.  You guys feeling it the same???

4 mins ago, Tfole said:

So my take on the trout is the fishery may be best late evening, even into dark this time of year.  You guys feeling it the same???

Mornings or evenings. Recently, mornings have been below freezing.  I have braid on my reels which sucks when temps are near or below freezing. The line freezes to the reel which can create some nasty wind knots. Iced guides cuts braid pretty easily as well if there is a lot of ice. The couple times I recently went out it was around 40° the last couple hours of daylight.

43 mins ago, Salt and Fresh said:

Took these on the fly rod January 2nd. Biggest bows I’ve caught, had a nice day with 6. 

The one on the left is a nice fatty. Did you get the weight?

I went out last weekend to a pond on the cape.  Mid day after shellfishing.  Lots of people fishing but not much catching.   We were throwing spinners without a hit.

Edited by pogie_boy
catching not casting you idiot!

Haven’t fished since October. Yesterday was a good trip. Got this freak of a brookie, a decent ‘bow of maybe 2 1/2 pounds, and another of average size. 

EDEF2F60-DBD3-47C1-9798-D8D8266D207F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

Haven’t fished since October. Yesterday was a good trip. Got this freak of a brookie, a decent ‘bow of maybe 2 1/2 pounds, and another of average size. 

EDEF2F60-DBD3-47C1-9798-D8D8266D207F.jpeg

Trophy!