mikeadams

Best Surfcasting Tackle Shops in CT?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Awesome. I'll check it out.  

Right in my area!   

Anyone remember a shop in Milford on Rt1. Down towards the road to Silver Sands.  I think it was called Sportsmans Rendezvous.  Had hunting and fishing stuff IIRC.  

Also there used to be a small shop in West Haven. Right across the street from the piers.  Any chance that is still there?   I haven't been there since the late 90s.  

Walts bait shop in WH has been gone for sometime now. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

35 mins ago, Mark L said:

Walts bait shop in WH has been gone for sometime now. 

I loved that place as a kid.  

My mom would drop me off right there. She'd do stuff with my grandma. I'd buy sandworms then go on the piers.  I remember the last time I stopped in there. My father had died recently I skipped school and went fishin.  

I'm sure CPS would be called today for leavin a 10year old on their own.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

5 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I loved that place as a kid.  

My mom would drop me off right there. She'd do stuff with my grandma. I'd buy sandworms then go on the piers.  I remember the last time I stopped in there. My father had died recently I skipped school and went fishin.  

I'm sure CPS would be called today for leavin a 10year old on their own.  

Haha yeah I know, my grandmother used to drop me off there now again. I used to get fluke off the pier back in the early 80’s and I bought my first penn reel from Walts. Still have it today, it was a used Z720 and he told me it would last forever. He was right still use it occasionally use it, paid like $25 back then. Ah he good old days. 

9 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Awesome. I'll check it out.  

Right in my area!   

Anyone remember a shop in Milford on Rt1. Down towards the road to Silver Sands.  I think it was called Sportsmans Rendezvous.  Had hunting and fishing stuff IIRC.  

Also there used to be a small shop in West Haven. Right across the street from the piers.  Any chance that is still there?   I haven't been there since the late 90s.  

That was it! Bought a bunch of guns from them. Became K5 guns, bought from them too. Wish I had some of them back . Fox Model B single selective triggers. Winchester Model 42. Both in .410.

Remington 1187 Turkey gun. Wild Turkey Federation Commemorative From K5. Had to pay up front before they'd order one, then had to deal with every excuse in the book as to why it took so long for this gun to arrive. I wonder why they went out of business?

As long as we're talking guns, Sportmen's Den on Boston Ave in Bridgeport.

All these places, not just a place to buy our " stuff", but a place to stop and BS with the guys for an hour or two. Every story was a new edition of "Can You Top This"? Most of the whoppers told in these places were bigger than the fish. Not too many places left to do that. I guess all these places were like Cheers. Everyone knew your name.

On 1/9/2021 at 7:33 PM, Mark L said:

I go to Bobby J’s good variety of tackle and the owner and staff are good people. 

Just a hop skip and a jump from me, When my son got his first turkey, he wanted to get it weighed. Ran over there. Tony was working. And the old man rest his soul was there. Saw the turkey, saw the young hunter, and couldn't move fast enough to get the bird tied up and weighed, all the while congratulating my son who was maybe 12 or 13 at the time. Talking a mile a minute. I think he was more excited about the whole thing, than either my me or my son!.

Some things you never forget.

Frank from K5 was a regular customer when I cut meat.  He and his wife were always tryin to get me to work in their store. 

He moved to Texas I think.  

Never went into K5.  

On 1/9/2021 at 6:34 PM, PaulS said:

I used to spend the majority of my money at Rivers End but will have to rethink that after one of their long time employees was part of the mob in Washington this past week.

Hey Paul:  is this public record?  Can you message me?  I am a new part time resident of guilford and stopped in there more than I ever have this year.  Will have to rethink going forward as well.

I can vouch for Fisherman's Paradise in Devon/Milford. The owner is friendly, staff is composed of folks who seem to live to fish. Prices good, selection good. Not a huge store but they stock a nicely curated selection for local conditions and it seems they can order just about anything. I was in there once when two staff from nearby Bass Pro had stopped by. Older guy wanted to show younger staffer what a "real fishing store" was like.

Fisherman's World in Norwalk is good. Large inventory, big store, long history in the area.

I had a good experience ordering from Saltwater edge in RI. Ordered a rod and had it in two days despite pandemic problems. Beautifully packed in a heavy wall cardboard tube that I can't bring myself to throw away :-)

On 1/14/2021 at 8:57 PM, PSegnatelli said:

Frank from K5 was a regular customer when I cut meat.  He and his wife were always tryin to get me to work in their store. 

He moved to Texas I think.  

Never went into K5.  

Was Frank a "larger" fellow? I remember Jeff from Sportmans Rendezvous, he went over to K5,. The only other guy at k5 I saw was this pretty chunky fellow. Didn't like him, didn't trsut him. Struck me as a BS artist.

Jeff knew my likes in guns. He'd always have some new ones to show me.

1 hour ago, The TideRunner said:

Was Frank a "larger" fellow? I remember Jeff from Sportmans Rendezvous, he went over to K5,. The only other guy at k5 I saw was this pretty chunky fellow. Didn't like him, didn't trsut him. Struck me as a BS artist.

Jeff knew my likes in guns. He'd always have some new ones to show me.

Yes.  Frank was quite portly.  His wife was a doll thou.