Seabassplug

FSC rods news in the spring

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

That was their FB post not long ago, been fishing my predator for the past 2 years and happy with it, also made in USA. anyone has any info if they will come back with new line of rods or else?

Edited by Seabassplug

I thought he was all done, but I could be wrong. I used a friends and loved it, wouldn’t mind getting one if they did come back!

2 mins ago, FV Solitude said:

I thought he was all done, but I could be wrong. I used a friends and loved it, wouldn’t mind getting one if they did come back!

Yes you are correct they stopped in january 2019, lets see what they come up with

Would love to see a reborn FiberStar Composites. Is it too much to hope for a 1 piece 10' true canal jigger in the new FSC world future? 

giphy.gif

Guys, you can still get these rods, but not shipped. You can pick them up in Pa, I believe somewhere near Philadelphia.  They still have blanks and built rods.  I have his contact information somewhere if you need it..

Yes he still is sitting on blanks. So are a few tackle shops. He should just come back with blanks only. He was getting murdered on shipping fees and Rods were not his full time job. High quality product and even higher quality service. 

15 hours ago, FV Solitude said:

Talked to him a few weeks ago, and they are not all done. This is new and no details yet, but FSC will be back in action soon.

Please.....for the love of god do some marketing...

Yeah I know people here hate social media...think it's worse than going to the dentist right after the proctologist....But it's needed to gain market share.  

Someone tell them to stockpile hundreds of pics...Then post 4 pics per day along with 5 to 10 stories every week.....for a year.

Give 200 rods to 50 social media peeps....

and coordinate giveaways with their audiences.  

Run flash sales on IG if they aren't doing the whole tackle shop thing.

(Just checked them out on instaface....Found it funny that I'm friends or took the pics of 10 percent of what they've posted)

And yeah....they're gonna have to step that game up something fierce.

Did they sell to dealers when they were at full tilt?

Scoobydoo, I am missing something here, exactly what are you looking for?

I am not sure the issue with FSC was in their marketing. With the striped bass fishing being what it is now and surf fishing in general bad, especially in NJ, the overall market is not good.  I heard from a reliable source that a few years ago, Van Staal's business was off by 30%-40%. 

FSC had rods at dealers when they were running the business full time. Like any business it's all about profit margins.  When shipping costs went through the roof, his margins were slashed to the point where it just wasn't viable for him to keep the business running.  Now I have no idea what it costs to manufacture a spinning rod in the USA, but at the price point he was selling at, I don't believe his margins were great, but this is just a guess.

14 mins ago, 27conch said:

Scoobydoo, I am missing something here, exactly what are you looking for?

I am not sure the issue with FSC was in their marketing. With the striped bass fishing being what it is now and surf fishing in general bad, especially in NJ, the overall market is not good.  I heard from a reliable source that a few years ago, Van Staal's business was off by 30%-40%. 

FSC had rods at dealers when they were running the business full time. Like any business it's all about profit margins.  When shipping costs went through the roof, his margins were slashed to the point where it just wasn't viable for him to keep the business running.  Now I have no idea what it costs to manufacture a spinning rod in the USA, but at the price point he was selling at, I don't believe his margins were great, but this is just a guess.

Looking for?  

I want to see an american company succeed.

If marketing sucks....no brand can survive.  

In 2020/21 with all the garbage companies out there selling garbage..............and THRIVING.

It all comes down to 1 thing......getting gear in the hands of people that get people to open wallets in as many markets as possible.

Did they only sell 1 piece rods?  Did they only sell rods for marketing to the NE?  What about the snooksters down in Denny's turf.

Rate hikes hit lots of companies in the wallet...I can only imagine how hard it must have hit FSC if they dealt primarily with 1 piece blanks....

But what prevented them from adapting?  

I'm not knocking them...but if they plan on a 2021 resurgence.......They gotta do something different... NO?

I think it's safe to say 2020 was the best year for the tackle industry in the history of the tackle industry........2021 3 days in is proving to be more of the same.  

I mean... @BrianBM bought a fishing reel yesterday.......that's a better indicator than the stock market and the groundhog.

I know one of the shops I work with did more VS volume than they ever did this past year.

Fair enough SD. 

I don't know anything about the inner workings of FCS to answer most any of your questions.  I have no idea what their overall costs were, how much financial backing they had or even their employee base.  I do know that their 8'-9' rods were all one piece.  Above this they were offered in two piece. I also believe that their products were versatile enough to cover a wide range of applications.  It would be interesting to take a poll and see what products guys are actually fishing with?

As far as your other statement about the overall tackle business being robust last year, I am not sure.  Granted there were way more people fishing because they were either out of work or working from home and taking liberties with their schedules. Whether this translated into new gear purchases, I do not know.

@scoobydoo  I am not sure how big FSC is planning on doing business but if they come back I am sure they learned a lot from their previous years.  I agree marketing as much as PR and social medias is a no brainer nowadays, all companies need it strong, but what get me to buy one of those was the fact that so many fishermans were happy and highly recommended the product here on SOL before I even heard of them, Word of mouth especially in a fisherman community is a very powerfull tool,  am sure they have a plan and figured out shipping and many other things,  as for the selection I hope they just stick to surf rods, I couldnt care less if they dont provide a snook or tuna rod. At then end am happy they are coming back, wishing them well 

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I mean... @BrianBM bought a fishing reel yesterday.......that's a better indicator than the stock market and the groundhog.

And that was a reason for rain yesterday.

I was expecting big snow storm after reading that he purchased new reel for fluke fishing.

10 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Looking for?  

I want to see an american company succeed.

If marketing sucks....no brand can survive.  

In 2020/21 with all the garbage companies out there selling garbage..............and THRIVING.

It all comes down to 1 thing......getting gear in the hands of people that get people to open wallets in as many markets as possible.

Did they only sell 1 piece rods?  Did they only sell rods for marketing to the NE?  What about the snooksters down in Denny's turf.

Rate hikes hit lots of companies in the wallet...I can only imagine how hard it must have hit FSC if they dealt primarily with 1 piece blanks....

But what prevented them from adapting?  

I'm not knocking them...but if they plan on a 2021 resurgence.......They gotta do something different... NO?

I think it's safe to say 2020 was the best year for the tackle industry in the history of the tackle industry........2021 3 days in is proving to be more of the same.  

I know one of the shops I work with did more VS volume than they ever did this past year.

LOL.