BrianBM

If you need some tackle now ....

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

J&H almost certainly has it.

 

I was there today, and bought a small spinning reel for this summer's fluke. There is absolutely no shortage of anything that this customer could see. Every space in every rod rack was full, no space to be seen on a shelf, not an empty hanger. Harry was there, Josh was there, and business was booming. They now carry Black Hole, and I put a Calcutta 400 on a Challenger 761 MH, just to see. The rod is rated 3-6; it felt fine to me with 8 oz., 10 was do-able, and at 12 I'd want a different stick. Kilsong likes the lighter Challengers for Challenger Bank fluke; de gustibus non disputandem. I suspect he's slow-lift jigging, with the rod pointed straight at the jig a lot of the time.

 

J&H was busy. The gun store next door was jammed. You'd've thought that the world's last boxes of ammo were on sale there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, BrianBM said:

J&H almost certainly has it.

 

I was there today, and bought a small spinning reel for this summer's fluke. There is absolutely no shortage of anything that this customer could see. Every space in every rod rack was full, no space to be seen on a shelf, not an empty hanger. Harry was there, Josh was there, and business was booming. They now carry Black Hole, and I put a Calcutta 400 on a Challenger 761 MH, just to see. The rod is rated 3-6; it felt fine to me with 8 oz., 10 was do-able, and at 12 I'd want a different stick. Kilsong likes the lighter Challengers for Challenger Bank fluke; de gustibus non disputandem. I suspect he's slow-lift jigging, with the rod pointed straight at the jig a lot of the time.

 

J&H was busy. The gun store next door was jammed. You'd've thought that the world's last boxes of ammo were on sale there.

Didn't get to spend any time at the adult store? LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Darn. It's an odd name and only carries their own house brand of firearms. I assume it's part of a chain ... it'll come to me.

DSI ??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Darn. It's an odd name and only carries their own house brand of firearms. I assume it's part of a chain ... it'll come to me.

I’ve never noticed one there. I’ve been to a different shop in Massapequa. I’ll check it out next time I go to JandH next summer.

Edited by ThirstyOwl III

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absently wandered in. Normally I'd stay and BS with gun store personnel, today I had a small spinner for shallow water fluke on my mind. Josh was there; despite recent coverage here and on FB, the Vissers are selling well. Given the experiences some posters have had, I wonder if some vissers will be coming back in late spring, when people start using them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Odd note ... in a day, age and State where guns are regarded with suspicion by many, it's always interesting and pleasant to go into a gun store and be welcome. Any white male geezer who comes in is greeted like a brother (fair enough, I like firearms) and the sense of fellowship is palpable.

Edited by BrianBM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been stopping in once a week to buy a plug. Damn things arent cheap. But if i buy one a week through the winter, it wont hurt too bad and by spring ill have a nice new collection of plugs. At least thats how i justify it to myself

 

The gun shop next door is nice but id avoid them as much as possible. Theyll tell you if you buy any AR other than their store brand youre violating SAFE act and are gonna get in trouble. To them theirs is the only legal one. Everything in there is also crazy over priced, including their "legal" ARs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, BrianBM said:

in a day, age and State where guns are regarded with suspicion by many, it's always interesting and pleasant to go into a gun store and be welcome.


Ha! Now you have an idea of what it's like to go into some stores and get a weird look or followed around because of your skin color. :bigeyes:

Just the other day I was remembering the time 20  years ago when I went into a junk shop in supposedly liberal California, wearing a $1,700 Omega watch, and the proprietor of the store followed me around. At first I thought, maybe he's trying to be helpful. So I told him, I'm just browsing, thanks! :)

But dude kept following me around. He said that he didn't trust me and so I left and rejoined my wife who was across the street buying several hundred dollars worth of furniture for my pending newborn.  

That doesn't happen to me so much in New England, most people treat me like anyone else nowadays. In fact, a woman in a Trump t-shirt bought me a beer once.

The only time I get some weird looks is when I walk around Whole Foods wearing a camo baseball hat and jacket.

But some weird racist stuff did happen on my birthday recently where a woman was very aggro with me, rude and inconsiderate. I didn't get upset, but felt pity for her, because she clearly had personal issues that made her an angry person.

Most people are cool in New England and have been to me for a long time.

Sorry you get the hairy eyeball about the guns. But at least it doesn't happen to you because of the color of your skin.   

Edited by TroutGhost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, TroutGhost said:


The only time I get some weird looks is when I walk around Whole Foods wearing a camo baseball hat and jacket.

To be fair, I get the same weird looks wearing camo in Whole Foods as a 34 year old white guy. They see no issue with a 50 year old housewife wearing army camo yoga pants or camo clogs, but for some reason I feel like a leper wearing a realtree sweatshirt or digital camo hat. God forbid I actually use the camo to go harvest my own organic meats - that would be absolutely ridiculous, since it’s for sale at the meat counter for $29.99/lb.

 

Also got called a racist in Shaw’s the other day for choosing to wear a thin blue line sweatshirt (which is a logo I’ve proudly been wearing since just after 9/11). She was wearing a gas mask, safety goggles and thick rubber gloves, yet apparently I’m the nutcase. 
 

Moral of the story I guess is that grocery stores are apparently ground zero for weirdos. Makes sense in some way.... everyone has to eat.

 

By the way, I’d gladly buy you a beer any time. We can shoot the **** about how whacko people are.

Edited by JTR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TroutGhost said:


Ha! Now you have an idea of what it's like to go into some stores and get a weird look or followed around because of your skin color. :bigeyes:

Just the other day I was remembering the time 20  years ago when I went into a junk shop in supposedly liberal California, wearing a $1,700 Omega watch, and the proprietor of the store followed me around. At first I thought, maybe he's trying to be helpful. So I told him, I'm just browsing, thanks! :)

But dude kept following me around. He said that he didn't trust me and so I left and rejoined my wife who was across the street buying several hundred dollars worth of furniture for my pending newborn.  

That doesn't happen to me so much in New England, most people treat me like anyone else nowadays. In fact, a woman in a Trump t-shirt bought me a beer once.

The only time I get some weird looks is when I walk around Whole Foods wearing a camo baseball hat and jacket.

But some weird racist stuff did happen on my birthday recently where a woman was very aggro with me, rude and inconsiderate. I didn't get upset, but felt pity for her, because she clearly had personal issues that made her an angry person.

Most people are cool in New England and have been to me for a long time.

Sorry you get the hairy eyeball about the guns. But at least it doesn't happen to you because of the color of your skin.   

Whats with the color of your skin? I only see humans not colors 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woman walks into home depot yesterday after slushy mess still on the ground wearing pajama bottoms and slippers. To me thats saying I give up!!! Imagine what the inside of her house must look like if she can't dress herself to go out.  What a catch she must be. But you get a look when you wear camo:laugh:

I'm wearing camo today just because....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.