FISH REPORT 2021 Cape Cod Bay to the Back Side of Province town "sand eel c

Rate this topic

codfish

3 hours ago, beerdoh said:

Took my 90 year old mother on a drive to Wellfleet yesterday. She’s always wanted to see a whale from shore and happily she finally did. There were several Right Whales sounding off shore, their tail flukes coming clear out of the water as they dove. She was able to see them clearly with my binoculars and was so excited she almost fell over!

That sounds like a wonderful day.

was at the pamet this morning helping float some docks at the yacht club 3/4 in to high tide. took some exploratory casts for schoolies after the tide turned. nada.  not out here yet.  any one of these tides they should start arriving.  almost always see the first sea lice laden schoolies before the end of april.

looks like a decent day tomorrow to splash the boat and go look for haddock and maybe tog (??).  got plenty of fresh clam bait with these low lows and plenty of asian shore crabs for togging.

8 hours ago, nicknotsebastian said:

was at the pamet this morning helping float some docks at the yacht club 3/4 in to high tide. took some exploratory casts for schoolies after the tide turned. nada.  not out here yet.  any one of these tides they should start arriving.  almost always see the first sea lice laden schoolies before the end of april.

looks like a decent day tomorrow to splash the boat and go look for haddock and maybe tog (??).  got plenty of fresh clam bait with these low lows and plenty of asian shore crabs for togging.

:)

gotta love it when the forecast is wrong but its nicer than you thought it was gonna be :)

splashed the boat and went to look for haddock.  “10kts strictly enforced today btw” i hear as i leave the dock.

sure enuf, as i’m slowly rounding wood end (playing with my new radar comparing the shoreline, the bell, and a small trawler coming in) there’s a sudden surge of “clutter” 1/4 mile ahead.  can’t clear it so i whip out the binocs.  sure enuf - right whales everywhere bobbing and flopping around.

since there seemed to be whales all the way to the horizon and that was the direction i wanted to go - i called it on the haddock exploration and went back into the bay and up into ptown to check some tog spots and flounder spots.

got to a good tog spot and realized i remembered the crabs - but forgot the wreck/grappler anchor.  since there’s no pots out to tie up to, i opted for floundering.  floundering is getting pretty good.  not as good as it usually gets more into june - but easy enuf to limit out in a couple hours.

i’m not sure if this giant mass of whales is headed out of the bay or ??? but if they stick around i’m pretty sure the 10kts speed limit will too (and for good reason - they just hang on the surface - no big blow, very minimal splashing, and no real tip off they are there until you’re almost on them - so take it slow and be on the lookout!).

41 mins ago, nicknotsebastian said:

gotta love it when the forecast is wrong but its nicer than you thought it was gonna be :)

splashed the boat and went to look for haddock.  “10kts strictly enforced today btw” i hear as i leave the dock.

sure enuf, as i’m slowly rounding wood end (playing with my new radar comparing the shoreline, the bell, and a small trawler coming in) there’s a sudden surge of “clutter” 1/4 mile ahead.  can’t clear it so i whip out the binocs.  sure enuf - right whales everywhere bobbing and flopping around.

since there seemed to be whales all the way to the horizon and that was the direction i wanted to go - i called it on the haddock exploration and went back into the bay and up into ptown to check some tog spots and flounder spots.

got to a good tog spot and realized i remembered the crabs - but forgot the wreck/grappler anchor.  since there’s no pots out to tie up to, i opted for floundering.  floundering is getting pretty good.  not as good as it usually gets more into june - but easy enuf to limit out in a couple hours.

i’m not sure if this giant mass of whales is headed out of the bay or ??? but if they stick around i’m pretty sure the 10kts speed limit will too (and for good reason - they just hang on the surface - no big blow, very minimal splashing, and no real tip off they are there until you’re almost on them - so take it slow and be on the lookout!).

You think those whales could be viewed from shore without an ORV?

One of my boys really wants to see right whales.