Foureel

Not WD-40

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

After break down and cleaning, I spray Pledge furniture polish on a lint free cloth, and wipe them down with that. It's wax, so does not attract dust, and is easily wiped clean before using. 

53 mins ago, Foureel said:

What else do you spray down your reels with before putting them away for the season.  Used to use WD-40 but was told that's not the best thing

I would like to know why not WD-40....?

Used it forever after a fresh water rinse for the end of the season storage.

Never had any noticeable issues.

Try this. 

Its not like other lubes, you can spray it on monofilament and it won't hurt it. 

Screenshot_20210102-194540_Google.jpg

Edited by Buckscorider

i keep my reels in my house. there's no excess moisture. but after using them (to not catch fish as i haven't been getting any lately) i immediately spray my reel guides and the exterior of the reel, and roller bearing, with clean water. this is to remove salt. then i try to just put them out to dry.... next day or sometime, i may put 3 in 1 on the roller bearing, and i think where the bail rotates, etc... so for me, i'm air drying the reel, instead of using wd40, is my understanding.

Spraying Wd-40 directly on reels is not recommended because it removes lubricant from moving parts like levelwinds, line rollers and handles. Wd-40 is a better solvent than a protectant. It's actually really good for degreasing and washing parts. I've used it to clean all sorts of parts for years. It's completely worthless as a lubricant and marginal as a protectant. I second the vote the Ballistol. It's an amazing product that will protect just about anything from leather boots to rifles. Stinks a little but it's still completely safe for you, your reels and the environment. If you are going use Wd-40 or the like as a protectant wipe it on with a rag.

1 hour ago, Gully said:

Water

Thank You :howdy: During the the year of use before storing away simple steps are all that is needed. Methods vary from the simplest to over kill IMO What ever Floats your Boat.- Good brand Reels  are designed for water exposure Fresh or Salt. I. Mated and Had Many Boats & after a day of fishing a simple Soap and Water washdown all season was all they got. Methods vary from a Tank Sprayer to products available to fit different situations. Mix your own with a hose sprayer. A Yearly Maintenance if it Floats Your Boat you can buy kits  make your own even Pay $$$$ someone to do it for you. The Drags and Bails - Drums need the most attention. And Store DRY after a deep cleaning you got it dry.  Know your limits on Disassembling use your Digital camera to take photos as you go.  As most know there are 1000s of products out there to hook You and 999 are not needed. This post is not meant as a Lecture or what you have to do. Every Situation- conditions is Different. I have A Trica Bait Runner Reel that froze up and Penn's - Garcia  some 60 + years old. No problems  Trica Sucks to break down to Clean.

A Last Reminder Sand is a bigger Killer Than Salt. as Some cleaning products are Line Killers.   

71nnP0WcikL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

41O42AAMDDL._AC_.jpg

41J7uypF3nL._AC_.jpg

71Dqvc5S9IL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1 hour ago, Reel Fly 18 said:

Spraying Wd-40 directly on reels is not recommended because it removes lubricant from moving parts like levelwinds, line rollers and handles. Wd-40 is a better solvent than a protectant. It's actually really good for degreasing and washing parts. I've used it to clean all sorts of parts for years. It's completely worthless as a lubricant 

WD 40 is dangerous to Health and its Uses.  If this Label does not convince you look up the The WD 40 Product Data Sheet. Not Surprising Cal. Bans it. I never use it In - On - Around any fishing Gear It is a Line Killer as a Solvent on $$$$$  Fly or Convectional Lines. Lastly the BS of Spraying it on Lures as a Attractant you are Polluting the waters with Petroleum as small as it sounds That film on the surfaces tells the Story.   

wd-40-danger.jpg

Edited by Cheeckakoe