doublegregg

what do folk use to cut line with?

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

i got a pair of fishing pliers (kastking cutthroat 7") which seem fine... except that the line cutter after three months use is at this point little balky cutting braid. i figured it would at least cut cleanly for a season. but no. 

wondering if people use dedicated line cutters, or what??? these cutters in six months will be even worse. the cutting parts of these pliers would be on el cheapo gardening shears, we call it anvil cutters, i think?? bypass cutters always work much much much much better, and last much much much much longer. and often have replaceable blades. there's no way i'm buying another pair of pliers..... tysm and happy new year! oh, afaic, you cannot sharpen anvil cutters. you'd shorten the blade, making the problem much worse.

Edited by doublegregg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Small blunt type scissors or a nail clipper, both are really cheap. If they fall overboard, or get dull, they are easily replaceable. ALL pliers with anvil style cutters will dull cutting braid. 

Edited by Fishtale7

KVD split ring pliers still cutting braid like the day I got them, maybe 4 seasons or so. Danco Premios still working fine, about a half season on them. Kast Kings, well, they still cut mono when I can actually open the sticky jaws.

I use various cheap nippers because they are usually done after a season and I can't see paying for the expensive ones with replicable jaws that cost more than the cheap nippers.

I buy nippers designed for trout fishing and throw them away when to get dull. If I am home I might also use a small tungsten carbide scissors designed for trimming flies and jigs to trim the tag end of my leader knots and cut my line. 

Fiskars kiddie scissors

I have one pair that's been in the bag for 18 years and is still as good as new

Think it cost $4

I use the boomerang snips for braid. These have been great for me. I use them on a kayak so they are always being splashed on. The retraction side of them are not 100% but they do still retract just sometimes you have to smack them a little. 

Wiss small surgical scissors on ebay under $5-6 great, On my jacket D ring I have about 6" of surgical tubing I slide over tips and then into jacket top pocket

I have 2 pair of split ring pliers that are like the KVD type. they work really well. I also have taken the advice of Mud Hole, where one of their videos' suggest that the kid scissors from Fisker  work really well. the Kid scissors will fit in the pocket of any surf bag. 

3 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

At home I use box cutter. In the water I use my knife. 

X2.....50 Cent plastic box cutter from the Dollar Store......

easiest thing in the world to keep sharp......

tysm all cutting-enabled folk! i'm going to try the kiddie scissors, which are $2 on amazon... may try nail clippers, which are smaller... but they might be too small....

Right now, for mono at least, I just use some old fiskar scissors from my elementary school days. Works fine and I can find em around the house. Fits in my tackle bag perfectly too.