Ebbtide231

I've been fishing so long ______

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve been fishing long enough that my college internship was “working” for Joe Lyons; esteemed writer, staple of RI surfcasting history, as well as a brilliant mind and an all around great guy....

....But he’s best known as an early staple of OTW, as well as the owner of SurfcastingRhodeIsland....

.....And even more so, he’s same guy who came up with the slogan “Fish Hard Live Long”. which IMO encapsulates the die-hard surfcaster mentality better than any other wording in fishing history. 

Edited by rbart

On 1/4/2021 at 10:26 PM, pakalolo said:

I’ve been fishing so long that using lights on the beach got you shut down by the old timers!! 

I’ve been fishing long enough that I remember New Yawkas being notorious for driving the Cape beaches and lighting people up to see if they were catching.

Porkfrogging at it’s finest.  :howdy:  

17 hours ago, rbart said:

I’ve been fishing long enough that my college internship was “working” for Joe Lyons; esteemed writer, staple of RI surfcasting history, as well as a brilliant mind and an all around great guy....

....But he’s best known as an early staple of OTW, as well as the owner of SurfcastingRhodeIsland....

.....And even more so, he’s same guy who came up with the slogan “Fish Hard Live Long”. which IMO encapsulates the die-hard surfcaster mentality better than any other wording in fishing history. 

So can you help me find a new sweatshirt?ADBF58C1-24FC-4839-B2FF-A05D04DD2600.jpeg.ad22d117811dfc88b08d062fc31d4b0f.jpeg

22 hours ago, rbart said:

Lost track of Joe, haven't heard from him in years.  Hope he's OK.  The slogan "Fish Hard Live Long" originated on this cross on Block Island in the 1990s.  I took a photo and posted it back then.  I think that is where Joe first saw it.  Never knew for sure who put the cross up but I have my guesses. 

Fish Hard Live Long.jpg

I've been fishing so long I bought my fishing tackle (as I needed it) from a local hardware store.

My first fishing rig was an old soda can with line tied to and wrapped around it, enough to "cast" about 40-50 feet.

caught many a fish on my "poor-boy" fishing rig.

I've been fishing so long I can recall hardware stores and 5 & dimes having a "fishing" section.

Or having to save up to buy my first rod & reel, which 99% of us had ..a Zebco spin caster.

I've been fishing so long it was legal and accepted to sell your bass to help offset the cost of your trip to Nantucket.

also a 27 was not a slot fish, it actually almost didn't fit in your cooler.

On 1/5/2021 at 2:30 PM, Highlander1 said:

I'm not a lot older than you (62) and I had the old Just Rites. When we switched over to the disposable lights like the one in your pic, we used clear air hose that was used on fish tanks and such instead of a rope, easier on the neck, and taped to attach. Same thing with gaffs, a 4 ft. gaff used on jetties we taped a rubber hose (1/2 dia) on the gaff to allow it to be used as a sling across your back. Mounted a small flashlight by the gaff hook and all you had to do was swing your arm and hit the light switch. Sounds easier than it was, i never liked going down in the rocks for fish but it was sometime s a necessity. No mas!

That's right ! I forgot that, we used surgical tubing

Still use it on my jetty gaffs (not that I use the jetty gaffs anymore :cry: )

I've been fishing so long ______

the fish are all gone ... :eek:

Would you believe you could take a walk on the beach in the winter with nothing more than a empty bucket with a northeastern blowing, and have fresh whiting for a nice fish fry when you got back to your car