FearlessMinnow

New REEL needed for inshore 7'6 light tackle rod

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

In need of a good quality saltwater reel for a St Croix tidemaster inshore travel rod (retired model).  Been away from the saltwater game for a few years so not sure which reels are the go-to today.

Rod specs: 7'6", 8-17 lb line., 3/8 - 3/4oz lure weight.

I typically use braided line like Dawai Samurai 30-40lb which has a mono equivalent diameter of 6-8lb respectively.  Fish from shore / wade fish.  Typically I go for stripers and whatever else bites including blues.  Preferred lures are soft plastics, tins, bucktails, weighted flies for jigging.

I'm thinking of a Penn model, 2500 series but very open to suggestions.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Daiwa bg 2500 on the less expensive side or a Stradic 4 or 5k if you want to spend a little more. Both reels have served me well. 

*edit- forgot to add I wouldn’t put 30lb braid on either reel. I wouldn’t go higher than 20#, I personally have 10#. 

Edited by Lord Helmet

4 mins ago, Lord Helmet said:

Daiwa bg 2500 on the less expensive side or a Stradic 4 or 5k if you want to spend a little more. Both reels have served me well. 

*edit- forgot to add I wouldn’t put 30lb braid on either reel. I wouldn’t go higher than 20#, I personally have 10#. 

So what mono diameter equivalent is that?  2lb test?  And you're putting that on a 4000/5000 series reel?

Looking at the recommended sizes, it's in the 6-10, maybe 12lb mono test range.  So just trying to make sense of it.

You must be putting some kind of backing on there right?  How many yards of actual braid?

4000 series shimano, 15lb braid.  Don't worry what the rod says for line weight range.

Edited by ne_dan

If you stick with Penn you will want a 3000 or 4000 size, go with a Clash (Penn's version of a Stradic).

Edited by Beastly Backlash

28 mins ago, Lord Helmet said:

Samurai is accurately rated, so 40lb is more like 15-20lb pp for instance. 

Shimano.  Stradic if you want the best around $200, Spheros Inshore if you want what is essentially the previous (very well regarded) version of the Stradic.  Daiwa BG series are solid but a bit heavier, about the same price as Spheros Inshore.  I liked the Daiwa Ballistic but it's not 'better' than the new Stradic despite costing a little more.  Many here won't touch a Daiwa with mag sealed components due to difficulty with self repair and cleaning.  As for PENN?  Buy a PENN sticker, put it on your car, then do the right thing and buy a Shimano!!!

I actually have a Penn Clash 3000 on an 8ft Tidemaster 3/8oz to 3/4oz rod and it balances fairly well. The Clash 4000 balances better, but I keep the 4000's on different rods.

If your wading saltwater flats... I'd say keep the reel as simple as possible to maintain. 

That rules out the Japanese brands. 

The current spinfisher has some sealing but it's far from perfect.  But it functions well enough against splashes and such... The main housing is pretty well protected. 

There isn't a Penn spinner that can come close to the smiles per mile of the new stradic FL...it's the sweetest cranking sub 200$ spinner available. But it's not a fun reel to crack and clean.Even if you are familiar with modern shimano reels.... 

A full spinfisher or any Penn for that matter  Is exponentially easier and simpler than the stradic to strip, clean and reassemble. 

( 3k/4k spheros includes) 

1 hour ago, FearlessMinnow said:

So what mono diameter equivalent is that?  2lb test?  And you're putting that on a 4000/5000 series reel?

Looking at the recommended sizes, it's in the 6-10, maybe 12lb mono test range.  So just trying to make sense of it.

You must be putting some kind of backing on there right?  How many yards of actual braid?

All my reels have mono backing with braid. Just have a shop do it for you. I try pack around 300 yards of braid with backing for my surf reels. You can get quite a bit of 10# braid on these smaller reels. It lets me cut down any braid that gets frayed over the course of the season and then I’ll reverse the line before I put new braid on. 

For these small reels I am fishing light stuff, 3/8oz- 3/4oz. Heavy braid is not needed because I’m not targeting large fish. I’m using 15-30# leaders. This is for fluke, albies, and school sized bass in back bays or sand beaches. 

If I’m fishing any rocky areas I’m using a VS250 with 50#braid and 60# leader paired with a 10-11 ft rod.  If your not fishing rocky areas you can probably get away with 30# braid. 

What type of area are you planning on using this setup?

Penn Clash 2 in 3000 is a solid choice, I believe they offer it in standard and high speed model! The Daiwa Balistic 3k is a great reel too, mag seal oil is easily available and any notable repair shop has it on hand or can get it! Daiwa Feugo is a great reel for the money too, just under the ballistic. Shimano stradic, spheros, and smaller twin powers are other great options too! 

I've got a BG 4000 spooled with 20# line on Star a rod with the same specs. I don't think it's too large. I've whipped some big blues and bass to mid 30" range while fishing for schoolies with no trouble. Small fish put up a good fight as well.

Edited by GP100