Ben Lippen

Fishing Reports for January 2021

Rate this topic

286 posts in this topic

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........

Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

2 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

2 hrs after sunrise, SoMoCo, end of incoming into the outgoing. Steady NE wind, water nice and clear. First fish of 2021 is a skunk saving dink on metal. Dropped another small one on a tsunami eel. 

E886DBD2-903D-4734-8C9C-53ECA6C0F718.jpegI fished the same time but in OC. Water looked really fishy but I got nothing, skunked.  

Took the reel off the rod after the trip and dropped off for annual service.  It's over (for me)!

10 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

2 hrs after sunrise, SoMoCo, end of incoming into the outgoing. Steady NE wind, water nice and clear. First fish of 2021 is a skunk saving dink on metal. Dropped another small one on a tsunami eel. 

E886DBD2-903D-4734-8C9C-53ECA6C0F718.jpeg

January fish, caught on metal, don't count! I pled your case before the Committee, but they were insistent. :shrug:

52 mins ago, nam1969 said:

January fish, caught on metal, don't count! I pled your case before the Committee, but they were insistent. :shrug:

:witty:

1 hour ago, nam1969 said:

Ha! Happy New Year Bob. See you in the Spring.  Heard of fish caught in your neck of the woods this AM. 

19 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

E886DBD2-903D-4734-8C9C-53ECA6C0F718.jpeg

Congratulations on the official first SOL 2021 Striper Catch! 

Later report from Nomo yesterday morning. Wave action was great but water looked like dark tea. Downsized my gear in hopes of smaller fish, but they didn’t cooperate. Lots of dead bunker pushed wayyyyyyy up in the dunes. One of the last storms must have been an extreme hi tide. Only fish I touched were a few bunker that still had some life in em. Strike one before I hang it up.

Took my girls out on New Year’s Day. The water was very fishable in OC and the clarity was pretty decent, certainly bass water. Lots of white water. Birds were picking away on the other side of the bars and you could smell baitfish with the 10knt East wind.

Took home the skunk to start the year but the girls got to use their new surf setups.

If we get a warmup we’ll be back out there again.

MOCO

Conditions only... water cleaned up nicely. 

Minimal wave action but every now and again a thumper would come through.

Wind was tolerable but blowing Northeast.

Raining and chilly but nothing to keep away the brave.

Adult bunker still littering the beach.

Stay safe.

PXL_20210103_124341331.MP.jpg

Skunk reports. Yesterday 2 hrs at sunup. Water clear, clean and green, end of outgoing. Nice surf. 1 lil’ bump.

Today 2 hrs, sunup, middle of outgoing, steady NE wind, water still nice and clean. Nada.

Won’t give up yet. 

14 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

Skunk reports. Yesterday 2 hrs at sunup. Water clear, clean and green, end of outgoing. Nice surf. 1 lil’ bump.

Today 2 hrs, sunup, middle of outgoing, steady NE wind, water still nice and clean. Nada.

Won’t give up yet. 

You get A for effort.   I’m hung up until spring unless someone calls me with 30#s rolling down the beach.   

3 hours ago, Goldy said:

You get A for effort.   I’m hung up until spring unless someone calls me with 30#s rolling down the beach.   

I'd go out for 30 oz fish this time of year.