HillTop

2021 All Things Fly Fishing - (BFD annual)

Rate this topic

622 posts in this topic

My second move in 11 months kept me off the water for the last 6 weeks or so.  Finally got a chance to sneak out for a few hours this morning to explore a nearby tma that is about 5 miles away.  Landed four, should have had 6 or 8, but was a bit rusty. Biggest was a bow about 18 inches.  The tiger had awesome colors.  Good morning exploring new waters, which is one of my favorite things to do..

20211010_084644.jpg

I heading out tomorrow for my first river trip in basically two months. Truck is all packed, gym first thing in the am, then drop the dogs off at work and out for hopefully a full day on the river. I've been off from work for 2.5 weeks at this point, one more vacation day left in tomorrow.

Two to three weeks back at work and then another week off. I'm either off 10/25-10/29 or the following week, I just haven't decided which one yet. Originally, that was supposed to be for a Great Lakes trip for steelhead but I never really did much planning between a possible increase in covid and some brewing neck issues. 

The last day on Block my wife wanted to do the SE Light tour. It was kind of tourist trappy but we had some time to kill. The below pic caught my eye, from a distance I thought - nice school BFT. Pics was dated ~1900. Closer inspection showed that they weren't BFT but albies and I'd say sizable ones at that, at least compared to what we get today.

IMG_3055.jpeg

IMG_3057.jpeg

30 mins ago, Drew C. said:

The last day on Block my wife wanted to do the SE Light tour. It was kind of tourist trappy but we had some time to kill. The below pic caught my eye, from a distance I thought - nice school BFT. Pics was dated ~1900. Closer inspection showed that they weren't BFT but albies and I'd say sizable ones at that, at least compared to what we get today.

IMG_3055.jpeg

IMG_3057.jpeg

Wow, that is some serious Albies. 

What do you figure the weight range in that heap. 

Got out 3 days with this long holiday weekend . The Willow was high but not too fast , produced a few dozen fish on the soft hackle in all colors & sizes BWO #18 LEAVES were more of a problem getting false tuggingS . Just beautiful conditions water 56 degrees on average . I was able to fish anywhere  = surprising . 

52 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I thought there were some pushing 20. 

I'm assuming those gents had a large tomato garden. Nothing like fresh Albie laying in the sun. Impressive sizes for sure 

24 mins ago, brushfly said:

I'm assuming those gents had a large tomato garden. Nothing like fresh Albie laying in the sun. Impressive sizes for sure 

No ****, they’re already pre-cooked!

38 mins ago, Drew C. said:

No ****, they’re already pre-cooked!

Beautiful part is they don't seem to care, enjoying their stogies in the sun after a long day's fishing.

Edited by brushfly

37 mins ago, MikeK said:

The beer defiantely qualifies as cool s***.  Did you buy that local or import?  I have been on a steady diet of fiddlehead ipa, but have not seen the 2nd locally.

I got it on block. I have not seen it locally. I have some plain ol fiddlehead too. I’ve been working on the double so far. I don’t have much left.