SB11789

Slug-Go on the South Shore

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted this on a different thread but thinks its better suited here.

Wondering what your guys thoughts are on the application of a 7.5 - 12 inch slug-go in the surf scene on the south shore. I've always considered it a back bay SS or NS unweighted play. Curious how you guys are using it on the SS? 

I would assume in an inlet it has to be weighted beyond insert weights to be effective. I'm thinking 1.5 - 2oz jig head minimally to get it down. 

Upfront on the sand beaches, I would think on a calmer surf you could probably get away with 1/2 - 3/4oz jig head or maybe even an owner weighted swimbait hook if you're just fishing the lip. 

Many ways to fish any size Sluggo.

I'll let others from your area chime in on what's been effective from their experiences.

I will say that I've used it a ton on Cape Cod and both South n' North Shore here in Masshola.

The Sluggo is one of my favorite baits.  I've learned to mold the bait in all sizes to have the ability to pour them at will.

I've even crafted some of these baits that aren't available to the public with great success.   

You might want to consider doing this for yourself. 

Many threads here on SOL if decide to do so.

Good Luck Fly

I can't think of many situations where a property presented sluggo wouldn't work.  For the open south shore beaches I've fished them rigged "McKenna style" (google "McKenna rigged sluggo to see a video), but I suppose a weighted swimbait hook would work as well.  I like to fish them at night around the various west end jetties.  And although I haven't tried them, I'm sure they'd produce during the late fall sand eel runs we've had recently.  For inlets, as you mention you'll need a jig head of appropriate weight for  the specific depth/current situation.

Bottom one worked well on south shore sand and back bays this fall.  1oz lead head and 9” slug.  Surprised to be able to catch as many as ten bass without destroying the slug.  The same could not be said for the mega shad above it.  Much less durable.

65137B92-9A81-499F-9D6F-0446CBBA3F9F.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I prefer fishing sluggo-style plastics weightless both for its productivity and the fun of it.  Obviously conditions are part of what dictate presentation of anything an a weightless sluggo  more so; when the nights are calm an flat....and the moon is full.... it's a hell of a way to get commitment when hits are short an the fish are finicky.

Depending on the fish at hand I usually look for heavy gauge O'Shaughnessy hook and string it on.  I prefer a larger longer shanked hook, vs 2 smaller ones encompassing a tandem rig...but again that's just my preference.

There are some denser plastics that have pretty good weight on their own an get better distance than youd expect on a windless night. 

Edited by DeepBlue85

Weightless sluggo or sluggo with a couple of nail weights is pure magic.

The only lure with a totally random action.

All other baits have a repeating mechanical action (crank bait, metal lipped swimmer, SP minnow, etc) or no action at all (buck tail, needlefish etc).

Hang sluggo on a jig, or swim bait head and it is just another plastic trailer.

I like to fish them weightless and use the chewed up ones for jig trailers.

Best of both worlds.

Wind will make the choice for you on the SS. Sluggos do not cast well into or across wind, even with a weighted hook. A jighead helps, but that changes how you fish it and the action a lot. The McKenna rigging is best, the weight throughout the body keeps the bait darting well in waves and sweep. Plus helps get a little more punch on the cast. People complain it's annoying to rig, but rig a few yourself and fish them when nothing else is working. You'll see their worth quickly. 

17 hours ago, hairyfishhead said:

Wind will make the choice for you on the SS. Sluggos do not cast well into or across wind, even with a weighted hook. A jighead helps, but that changes how you fish it and the action a lot. The McKenna rigging is best, the weight throughout the body keeps the bait darting well in waves and sweep. Plus helps get a little more punch on the cast. People complain it's annoying to rig, but rig a few yourself and fish them when nothing else is working. You'll see their worth quickly. 

Thats why i do most of my rigging in the winter when less is going on. I believe lunker city sells (or did sell) 12" prerigged as tandem but you may have to add insert weights. I use 9 inch most of the time so i just make my own. 

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

2nd hook

Yay or Nay?

I rig most of them with a 2nd hook midway as Steve McKenna shows. It helps a lot with the bait tracking well and sticks fish that just slap at it. If they are choking it, I'll use a single hook in the head. But if the water has some weeds, I'll use a weedless style or Beast hook. But the Beast hook is my last pick, you'll miss a lot of bites with it. 

On 1/7/2021 at 7:45 AM, bdowning said:

Thats why i do most of my rigging in the winter when less is going on. I believe lunker city sells (or did sell) 12" prerigged as tandem but you may have to add insert weights. I use 9 inch most of the time so i just make my own. 

I buy and use these in the surf. I can’t be bothered trying to get a dual hook in a sluggo correctly. They cost more and are not weighted. 

the way I fish them is either carolina rig, drop shot or a 3-way swivel setup similar to bucktailing off a boat. I use them when i’m less likely to catch blues because they’re like $5-6 a piece.

might as well be casting a kite they catch so mich air. So on a windlees day or if the wind is on your back they do pretty good