Mapo

saltx drag assembly

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO REMOVE THE DRAG WASHER ASSEMBLY FROM A SALTX 6000 REEL. THE RETAINER THAT HOLDS IT ON IS VERY DIFFICULT TO MOVE WITH TH PLASTIC TOOL SUPPLIED WITH THE REEL.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Did the tool catch all of the notches? Would a caliper tool work? Extending the caliper to catch two of the notches?

F960F5D3-81F5-4175-ACA2-8E1818D60420.jpeg

Edited by handi2

I WAS TOLD BY A BIMINI BAY OUTFITTERS SALES REP THAT THEY ARE WORKING ON A BETTER TOOL! HE EVEN SCOLDED ME FOR TRYING TO TAKE "MY" NEW REEL APART SAYING "WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DISASSEMBLE A BRAND NEW DRAG SYSTEM APART" THAT IT WOULD VOID THE WARRANTY! I RESPONDED BY TELLING HIM THAT AT SOME POINT IT WOULD HAVE TO BE SERVICED. I ALSO TOLD HIM I HAVE BEEN SERVICING ALL OF MY REELS FOR ALMOST 40 YEARS.SO WHEN THE WARRANTY DOES EXPIRE YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE IF YOU ASK ME. BTW I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT A WATCH BACK TOOL WOULD WORK.I'M A PRETTY GOOD METAL WORKER AND MANAGED TO FASHION MY OWN TOOL WITH MY MILLING MACHINE AND A STRONG PIECE BAR STOCK THAT WORKS GREAT. ALSO DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH WAITING FOR THEM TO SEND YOU A BETTER TOOL FOR YOUR NEARLY $400 REEL! GOOD LUCK

MIKE

Posted (edited) · Report post

l just serviced some SaltX 6000 and l couldn't remove that nut to get at the drag washers almost wrecked the plastic tool, but l found this that l use on my watches picked this up on Dbay years ago come with all types of tips will give it a shot later and l will let you know how it did.

20210213_092638.jpg.2c2f4f223fc9bfa07bcda81a6c25379d.jpg

20210213_092626.jpg.037edaa95cf737586324f69bc674f1ac.jpg

Edited by LB

It's a no go l couldn't get it to move, l couldn't find anything on Youtube, l don't know if it's left or right-hand tread.

Handi2 have you done any work on the drag system on the SaltX 6000?

HEY LB,

I THOUGHT THAT WOULD HAVE WORKED! I'LL GIVE YOU A PHONE# AND AN E MAIL OF THE GUY WHO I WAS IN TOUCH WITH. LIKE I SAID IN MY PREVIOUS POST THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NOT THAT GREAT AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED, BUT MAYBE YOU WILL HAVE BETTER LUCK. CONTACT (JERRY) JGOMBER@FOLSOM.CORP.COM 1-800-688-3481.I'M GUESSING IF THEY GET ENOUGH COMPLAINTS ABOUT THIS PROBLEM, THEY WILL DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.BTW THE THREADS ARE LEFTY LOOSE RIGHT TIGHT. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU GET THE SAME LINE OF BS THAT HE GAVE ME.

MIKE

ordered one of these the other day, just arrived about 20 mins ago. Tried it to open the saltx drag and opened it easy peasy. Unfortunately when I went to open the bottom under the click plate one of the 3 screws is loctite-ed to hell and wont budge..nothing is ever easy. Anyway grab one of these tools for like 10 bucks and it will open it up very easily. 

wcb.jpg

4 hours ago, genu said:

ordered one of these the other day, just arrived about 20 mins ago. Tried it to open the saltx drag and opened it easy peasy. Unfortunately when I went to open the bottom under the click plate one of the 3 screws is loctite-ed to hell and wont budge..nothing is ever easy. Anyway grab one of these tools for like 10 bucks and it will open it up very easily. 

wcb.jpg

Whats it called?

Also, I was kinda surprised when I did open the drag up. There is no drag stack, just 1 carbon fiber washer and a bearing. Same can be found on the underside under the click plate..which I cant open yet because 1 screw is just about stripped.