Goni

Surfcasting Italian Style

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Really cool post and thread to read, thank you for reaching out from across the pond. I think Mediterranean Bluefish are very similar to those we have in the Northeast US, but it's kinda comical to see you have the same attitude towards them as us by saying they've invaded the shores! Best of luck and thanks again!

Edited by i_like_poppers

2 hours ago, i_like_poppers said:

Really cool post and thread to read, thank you for reaching out from across the pond. I think Mediterranean Bluefish are very similar to those we have in the Northeast US, but it's kinda comical to see you have the same attitude towards them as us by saying they've invaded the shores! Best of luck and thanks again!

i_like_poppers thank you. Blufish in not native to the Mediterranean sea. We have a big problem with the blue crab too. I has become a plague. It has invaded shores, lagunes and even rivers, killing everything because it has no natural predators.

Edited by Goni

3 hours ago, Goni said:

i_like_poppers thank you. Blufish in not native to the Mediterranean sea. We have a big problem with the blue crab too. I has become a plague. It has invaded shores, lagunes and even rivers, killing everything because it has no natural predators.

I think it is native actually; not necessariloy wide spread... Pesce Serra  population may be growing due to fish farming cages, I found some information pointingout specific years that saw increased population growth.

Naturally occurs in Western and Eastern Atlantic Ocean. Mediterranean and Black Sea. Western and Eastern Indian Ocean. Western Central Pacific

Incidentally big Leerfish love eating Bluefish.

Edited by ZAFisher

1 hour ago, ZAFisher said:

I think it is native actually; not necessariloy wide spread... Pesce Serra  population may be growing due to fish farming cages, I found some information pointingout specific years that saw increased population growth.

Naturally occurs in Western and Eastern Atlantic Ocean. Mediterranean and Black Sea. Western and Eastern Indian Ocean. Western Central Pacific

Incidentally big Leerfish love eating Bluefish.

My father was an angler and i have never heard him mention this fish. But this doesn't mean that i am right :-) 

I was surprised too; I had no idea they were native there, apparenty there is a commercially valuable population in the Black Sea that migrates to Med waters off Turkey.

Hey Goni

I own 2 Italcana vector LA. absolute beasts. wish I could go visit ZA fisher in SA and use it on some of those big sand sharks. 

7 mins ago, Jcallaham said:

Hey Goni

I own 2 Italcana vector LA. absolute beasts. wish I could go visit ZA fisher in SA and use it on some of those big sand sharks. 

I envy you :-D 

17 mins ago, Jcallaham said:

Hey Goni

The Giant Sandies? Turbo sharks.

Do you perhaps have a scale handy?

Would be interested in tip and butt section weights of a Vector LA (seperately)

Edited by ZAFisher

34 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

What do you do with a shark after you catch it? I hope you release it...

Release.

I'm more of non-shark angler myself, but many oif friends are dedicated (obsessed) shark anglers.

I think they would put a hook through the foot of someone who killed a shark

Guys could you show some fotos? I am very interested to see some of your catches and sizes...

Edited by Goni

2 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

butt with coasters 638gr, tip 200gr 14' 3" 2 equal sections. Butt has 1 guide24.8 inside diameter tip has 9 guides 18.9 13.6 10.4 10.4 5guides at 8.6 pus tip.  all guides are fugi K guides. guides are spaced for conventional reel but those are guides one sees on a spinning rod. don't care much for the guide setup. If I were going to get another one I would prefer a blank and change the layout. 

8 hours ago, Jcallaham said:

butt with coasters 638gr, tip 200gr 14' 3" 2 equal sections. Butt has 1 guide24.8 inside diameter tip has 9 guides 18.9 13.6 10.4 10.4 5guides at 8.6 pus tip.  all guides are fugi K guides. guides are spaced for conventional reel but those are guides one sees on a spinning rod. don't care much for the guide setup. If I were going to get another one I would prefer a blank and change the layout. 

Thank you.

What about the set up dont you like?

KW's are not spinning guides only, they work beautifully for a multiplier, MN's as an example don't perform better than KW's for multipliers.

If you have the time; I'd really appreciate you posting (or PM'ing me) the measurements from tip top back to each guide as well as a photo of the butt guide so I an figure out if its a KW30J or KW30L (I suspect the latter)

Brandon