Goni

Surfcasting Italian Style

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Hello to everyone. I am new to this forum and i am writing from Italy. It is very interesting for me to see how surf fishing is practiced in other countries, specially in USA and learn from you new things which i can put in practice. 

I have read many topics here about long casting, rods and reels to use so i thought maybe i can share some of the things i have learned during the years of fishing in the Mediterranean sea, which maybe could be useful to someone in this forum. I usually fish in the Adriatic sea and the Ionian sea, in shallow sandy beaches and rocky deep shores. On the first one it is necessary to cast far, at least 80 meters if you want to reach a depth of 1,5 - 2 m. On the second one of course no need to go further than 50 m. The rods i use are 4,2 - 4,5 m long which allow you to reach important distances. Personally i have not gone more than 120m because of some back problems, so i've never forced the cast too much. 

Having a long rod helps specially in the beach in way to keep the line above the waves so you can better see if there is any bite. Also the reel should be chosen for right this purpose, long spool and not very deep. The japanese use very shallow spools for thin braid but personally i don't like pe because it has zero elasticity, it can get tangled easily and it is not good in bad weather with waves and sea weed which in our seas it is abundant. Probably you don't have the same problems in the ocean.

My surfcasting rods are:

ULTRAMARINE 450 S which is 4,5 m long and can cast until 200 g in side cast and 150 g in ground. I use this in bad weather with waves when you need a heavy sinker;

ULTRAMARINE 450 F, also 4,5 m long, cw 175g and sensitive tip;

ULTRAMARINE 420 L, 4,2 m long, cw 125 g in side cast and 100 g in ground cast. I use this in calm waters, very light and you cast easily 80-90 m with an 80g sinker;

ITALCANNA Terranova 170, 4,5 m, cw 170 g perfect for calming waters after the storm. All these are italian rods and have nothing less than the famous Zziplex and Century, specially Italcanna one of the best in the world.

For the first two rods i have 2 Daiwa Tournament Entoh 5000 (like a 10000 Shimano). These are powerful long casting reels made for carp fishing in UK with a 4,1:1 gear ratio.

For the third rod i use a Shimano Super Aero Surf Leader ci4+ 30 SD and for the last rod i use the Shimano Power Aero 14000 XSB.

I must say that my feet never touch the water so i don't need super sealed reels. In fact the Daiwa Entoh i use are made for fresh water but during my usage they never caught a drop of salt water. I am aware that the sea where i fish is not the Ocean, different waves, currents, different rules in general. We don't fish for sharks for example. Our target species now are much more smaller but i also think if you don't want to get wet, get a longer rod :D

I wish a happy New Year to everybody.

Ciao!

Thanx for sharing about your shore fishing.  Do you ever use casting reels (revolving spool)?  What species of fish do you target?  What beaches do you mostly fish?

I've heard good stuff about the Italcanna surf rods, and Nickaway down in Texas sells them.

Cheers,

Bob.

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, BeachBob said:

Ciao!

Thanx for sharing about your shore fishing.  Do you ever use casting reels (revolving spool)?  What species of fish do you target?  What beaches do you mostly fish?

I've heard good stuff about the Italcanna surf rods, and Nickaway down in Texas sells them.

Cheers,

Bob.

Hi BeachBob. I have never used reels with revolving spool and i can't say anything about them. Our target spieces are mostly bream, sea bream (orata or dorada), seabass, blufish which has invaded massively our shores. As i wrote in my previous post the dimensions of these fishes are quiet different than what you can catch in the ocean but this doesn't mean that the rods i mentioned can't do the job in your shores, on the contrary.To catch a sea bream or a seabass over a kilo is a success. I practice rock fishing and for that i use telescopic rods like Shimano Aero Technium Telesurf and Ultegra Telesurf because are more practical in those conditions. In that case i don't need to cast very far so the Daiwa BG it is perfect for this purpose.

Italcanna is not cheap but they are incredibly reliable rods. Even now one of the best sells is Terranova 170 which is a project of 12 years ago. But if you want to cast very far there are other Italcanna models now.

I think the pictures will answer to your last question  :)

The smallest fishes had swallowed the hook and was impossible to release.

20170904_093420.jpg

20171028_163808.jpg

20171109_125458.jpg

20180114_124658.jpg

20180128_115703.jpg

129964325_2679011179095281_1301560945543189477_o.jpg

20170830_094036.jpg

Edited by Goni

Ciao bella Goni, since I haven’t made it to Italy to see my relatives, I have a few questions. Do you get much big waves or 

surf, or only around storms? How warm does the water get in summer?

Do you catch any Sea Robins (Gunard) in your part of Italy?

How big do the Bluefish get? Several years ago fish up to 1 meter were fairly common on the east coast! 

Any Tuna type fish in your fishery?

It looks gorgeous there, any kayak fishermen in your area, that water looks perfect! Have a prosperous new year.

5 hours ago, Goni said:

Hi BeachBob. I have never used reels with revolving spool and i can't say anything about them. Our target spieces are mostly bream, sea bream (orata or dorada), seabass, blufish which has invaded massively our shores. As i wrote in my previous post the dimensions of these fishes are quiet different than what you can catch in the ocean but this doesn't mean that the rods i mentioned can't do the job in your shores, on the contrary.To catch a sea bream or a seabass over a kilo is a success. I practice rock fishing and for that i use telescopic rods like Shimano Aero Technium Telesurf and Ultegra Telesurf because are more practical in those conditions. In that case i don't need to cast very far so the Daiwa BG it is perfect for this purpose.

Italcanna is not cheap but they are incredibly reliable rods. Even now one of the best sells is Terranova 170 which is a project of 12 years ago. But if you want to cast very far there are other Italcanna models now.

I think the pictures will answer to your last question  :)

The smallest fishes had swallowed the hook and was impossible to release.

20170904_093420.jpg

20171028_163808.jpg

20171109_125458.jpg

20180114_124658.jpg

20180128_115703.jpg

129964325_2679011179095281_1301560945543189477_o.jpg

20170830_094036.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Those Sea Breams are what we call Porgies. Viewing your pics reminds me of places where I've fished in Connecticut. It's nice to have you with us my friend. Welcome to SOL:howdy:

35 mins ago, cheech said:

Ciao bella Goni, since I haven’t made it to Italy to see my relatives, I have a few questions. Do you get much big waves or 

surf, or only around storms? How warm does the water get in summer?

Do you catch any Sea Robins (Gunard) in your part of Italy?

How big do the Bluefish get? Several years ago fish up to 1 meter were fairly common on the east coast! 

Any Tuna type fish in your fishery?

It looks gorgeous there, any kayak fishermen in your area, that water looks perfect! Have a prosperous new year.

Hi cheech. Usually there are waves when it is a storm and after the storm when the sea is still "moving" but it is calming it is the right time for seabass. The waves are not ocean waves of course but when the wind is calming and you are able to cast i have been fishing with 1m high waves. Probably for you 1m is nothing :-D 

The last 3 summers the temperature of the water was high, 21 - 22 degrees Celcius. 3 summers ago i was fishing during the night and i caught a bream which was warm and i was really impressed by that. Anyway the best period is end of september until mid november for "doradas" or sea bream and january for seabass. I have caught only one time a Sea Robin, a small one that i released. Beautiful fish.

About Blufish they get pretty big. My cousine has caught a 4kg blufish and this is not an exception. 2 kg are normal in summer and september.

Tuna fishing is not my thing because i don't practice spinning. My girlfriend does spinning, she catches barracudas.

I have seen people using kayak but just few, not much

The first foto with the white rod it's not me but a friend of mine. These are the normal conditions after a storm to go for seabass. The other 3 fotos are made in Montenegro. In the second foto my friend on the right lost rod and reel because of a wave that took it away in that white foam.

Thank you for your wishes. A happy new year to you too.

20181006_173647.jpg

20171118_084228.jpg

20171118_105314.jpg

20171118_122003.jpg

1 hour ago, jimmy z said:

Thanks for sharing. Those Sea Breams are what we call Porgies. Viewing your pics reminds me of places where I've fished in Connecticut. It's nice to have you with us my friend. Welcome to SOL:howdy:

Thank you jimmy z. 

I'd never heard of Italcanna, but DuckDuckGo found that their rods and blanks are distributed in the United States by BreakawayUSA. The Italcanna rods and blanks are definitely the most expensive product that BreakawayUSA carries, up there with high-end Century product.

Breakaway used to build on AllStar blanks, when AllStar was making blanks in the US. I have no idea where Breakaway now sources its' blanks; I assume China or Korea.

Italcanna are right up there with Century and Zziplex in terms of performance too - the Italian field casting team(s) use the A4's and more than a few FIPS records are now held by them.

12 hours ago, richie c said:

Now you have to show us how you cook your catch:howdy:

Richie c here it is: olive oil, tomatoes, onion, garlic, a bit of vinegar, salt and put in the oven. Accompany with fresh bread and a glass of white wine and you will be in heaven.

Or this seabass my gf prepared with mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, sliced red and yellow peppers, dill and olive oil 

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-03 at 13.05.30.jpeg

Edited by Goni

6 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Italcanna are right up there with Century and Zziplex in terms of performance too - the Italian field casting team(s) use the A4's and more than a few FIPS records are now held by them.

Guys we are talking about very expensive rods here. The latest Italcanna 3 piece rods which are Aspide and Revolver cost between 600 to 700 $ which is a fortune.

But there are less expensive and beautiful Italian rods like my beloved Ultramarine Tripla S, F and L, or the brand Veret. There are also other more commercial brands like Maver, Trabucco, Colmic wich make also valid products but they manufacture in China mostly.

Anyway for whom wants to know more here is the Italcanna site in english and there are full descriptions of their products.

http://www.italcanna.com/index.asp?lang=eng

Edited by Goni

Agreed, not cheap. Have you any experience with the Aspide or Revelovers?

Veret nice too; at least the tournament rods I have played with were nice

Trabucco and Colmic I know, Maver is unfamliar

35 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Agreed, not cheap. Have you any experience with the Aspide or Revelovers?

Veret nice too; at least the tournament rods I have played with were nice

Trabucco and Colmic I know, Maver is unfamliar

ZAFisher no i haven't but i have spoken with some who has. Revolver is an "easy" rod which forgives mistakes, has a sensible tip and enough power to cast far. It means you don't need to be a pro for reaching important distances and it doesn't tire you. A friend of mine who has a couple of Aspide and have used Revolver said it to me. Also the same thing is said in italian forums. Aspide is more technical. It is stiffer and needs some technique to load and use at the full potential. It needs practice.

Anyway for those who have some knowledge of side cast and have started to practice ground cast i would recommend Italcanna Dynamis FSH. It is considered one of the best rods Italcanna has ever made. The type of rod that can be used in the ocean, sensitive enough for smaller fishes and powerful for big fish and heavy sinkers. When i wanted to buy the Terranova 170 everybody suggested me the Dynamis FSH but it is too technical for me so i went with my first choice. 

Maver is a branch of an important Italian company (i don't remember the name) which produces carbon for industrial use, for airplanes and so on. So they know their stuff about carbon, even though they make everything in China.