CjHerring27

Need Help: What Reel to Pair with St. Croix Avid Isnhore Rod

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, I need some help. I recently ordered the St. Croix VIS80MHF Avid Inshore Spinning Rod - 8 ft and I need to find a spinning reel to pair with it. I plan to get more serious about striper/blue fishing in cape cod (Eastham/Welfleet area) and this rod will mainly be used in small rivers/estuaries as well as flats. I have been doing some research and I have heard some good options are the Shimano Saragosa 5/6K, Shimano Stradic FL5000, Shimano Spheros 6K, Shimano Sustain, and the Pen Slammer 4500. 

I was really leaning towards the Stradic FL5000, but my concern is the weight of reel is too light for the rod (roughly 10 oz). This Avid inshore model that I purchased is about 7.5 oz.

Do you think I need to pair this rod with a heavier reel in the 12-16 oz range? If so, do you guys have any other recommendations? Also, I would love to hear from anyone who owns this rod on what your setup looks like.

Buddy.......I have the same rod and I have learned that with today’s reel line capacity capability with braid, the lighter the better.  I’ve had a 4000 Saragossa on mine for a while and just recently switched to a Shimano Ultegra FB 5000XG which is even lighter than the 4000 at 10 oz....  Super combo and light as a feather.  I enjoy it so much that I even use it out front in the surf occasionally  :th:

I’d also consider the Penn Clash for their weight and strong CNC gears :th:.  I have them on my other 7’6” and 7’ rods....... both have Clash 3000’s

Edited by yogiiiboy

I use a Stradic 5000 FK (11.5oz) on my 7’6” Avid Inshore MHF.  I think balance wise, it’s a perfect pairing.  If you’re looking into something in the 12 to 16 oz range, might want to look at the Penn Slammer III 4500.  It’s funny because I just sold my Slammer and will be moving to a Saragosa SWA 6000 (16oz) because I felt that the Slammer (14.7oz) was a a hair too small for my 9’6” surf rod.

Thanks everyone. I can’t yet comment on individual posts until moderator approves, but this is very helpful and I really appreciate it. My biggest concern is that the balance will be off and affect casting if I do go with a 10oz reel, but it sounds like you guys who are using the 7’6 rod prefer the lighter reel.  The avid inshore 7’6 Rod is 5.8 oz vs. the 8’ at 7.5 oz and I’m guessing that a 1.7 oz variant in weight wouldn’t make that much of a difference (or will it?)  From all of your responses, it sounds like the lighter reel is still the way to go. 

Have the same rod and have a 5000 Stradic on it, find it to be a perfect match. On the 8' heavy I go up to a 15-16oz reel but the MH has a much lighter tip so a 10-11oz reel balances nicely.

I think the reels you mention are a bit heavy. The Stadic 5k is a perfect fit or you could go with a Vanford or a VR50. I have 7'11" greenwater and alternate between a stradic 5k and VR50 depending on the spot and conditions. 

Edited by FlukeOff
Auto correct!

Wow, you guys are the best. Thanks a ton for all of the help and kindness. I think I’m going to go with the Stradic 5K. Ill let you know how the combo works out come summer time. 

Tight lines, everyone. 

On 12/31/2020 at 9:27 AM, CjHerring27 said:

Hi Everyone, I need some help. I recently ordered the St. Croix VIS80MHF Avid Inshore Spinning Rod - 8 ft and I need to find a spinning reel to pair with it. I plan to get more serious about striper/blue fishing in cape cod (Eastham/Welfleet area) and this rod will mainly be used in small rivers/estuaries as well as flats. I have been doing some research and I have heard some good options are the Shimano Saragosa 5/6K, Shimano Stradic FL5000, Shimano Spheros 6K, Shimano Sustain, and the Pen Slammer 4500. 

I was really leaning towards the Stradic FL5000, but my concern is the weight of reel is too light for the rod (roughly 10 oz). This Avid inshore model that I purchased is about 7.5 oz.

Do you think I need to pair this rod with a heavier reel in the 12-16 oz range? If so, do you guys have any other recommendations? Also, I would love to hear from anyone who owns this rod on what your setup looks like.

You want a reel in the 4000 to 5000 range.

I don't have the 8ft MH Avid, but I do have the 8ft MH Tidemaster which is slightly heavier then the Avid and a Clash 4000 balances good on it, you should be ok with a Stradic 5k.

A gosa 5k or bigger will be to much reel.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Why can't you take your rod to a local store and see what you like the feel of?

Certain reels have advantages in different areas.  Once you know what feels right then we can steer you towards the best choice depending on your needs and how it will be used.

For example the Spheros/Gossa would be a good choice if the reel is going to get wet a lot.  The BG is a solid choice if budget is a concern.  The Stradic wins if you want a smooth and refined reel that you will keep out of the water/sand.  The Penn's might be a better choice if you aren't experienced but are determined to service your own reels.

Only you can say what balances your rod to your likes.  A lot easier to take to the bank a consensus of what reels handle getting dunked.