Giving up alcohol - 6 months

Rate this topic

ErikT

12 mins ago, ErikT said:

WOW never heard that.  I'm in that phase right now 100%. Combine that with work stress and BOOM I'm a complete miserable **** to everyone in my life.

Same here Erik, the only difference now is not having a hangover. Still moody AF.

I think part of it is learning to deal with life without being medicated.  Takes some time to figure it out.  On the plus side...you have a clear head, you feel better physically, and perceive things you would have missed when you were buzzed.  That's especially important to the one's you love. 

"A successful man is one who can lay a strong foundation with the bricks thrown at him."- David Brinkley

40 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

Dry drunk. Haven’t heard that term in a long time. My grandmother used to use it all the time. Lol. 

:laugh: Mine too , as in "He's a dry drunk. His problem is he takes himself with him wherever he goes ..." 

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end -- which you can never afford to loose -- with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they may be .."

3 mins ago, Kings over Queens said:

I stopped for tequila on the way home, and saw rebel yell bourbon, so I got that too.  I'm weak. :freak:

Nobody likes a quitter, anyway, MIchael.

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

17 hours ago, Auce said:

2 Months Dry. However I've fallen into the dry drunk phase.

"What is a dry drinker?
The term is used by Alcoholics in relation to feelings of anger, depression and resentment. A dry drunk can be described as a person who refrains from alcohol or drugs, but still has all the unresolved emotional and psychological issues which might have fueled the addiction to begin with."

I'm moody, irritable, don't sleep for chit. Can't seem to shake this funk. I go for walks to clear my head but an hour later I was right back where I started.

Maybe because you're white knuckling it, the dry drunk is an unrecovered alcoholic.

An alcoholic can resolve all their emotional and psychiatric "issues" and they will still suffer from the obsession with alcohol because  psychiatry cannot touch the problem.

The underlying anger of the dry drunk is their thirst, not for alcohol but for what they mistakenly believe they can get from a bottle.

It only occurs in real alkies, they are differentiated from problem drinkers by the fact that when a problem drinker stops drinking the problem goes away, but when an alcoholic quits the problem is just getting started, over the long run they get worse not better, go more insane the further they get from their last drink.

I didn't become alcoholic because I drank too much.

I drank too much because I'm alcoholic.

The problem is not emergent, its fundamental, its pre-existing.

Alcohol became my form of sedation to deal with the underlying problem.

If the alcohol is removed the underlying problem loses its sedation and , left untreated, get worse.

Alcohol was just the way it expressed, I could have been a compulsive gambler instead or drug addict, the problem remains the same.

Carl Jung shed some light on the root of the problem in a letter he wrote to Bill W,

Bill called Jung a Tri-founder of AA because they got so much from his insight.

Rowland H had been a patient of Jung in the 1930's , Rowland knew Bill W from Vermont, he carried the message to Bill and the spark was struck.

Jung wrote to Bill in 1961, what Jung explains turned out to be very important and why AA works when all else fails.

https://silkworth.net/alcoholics-anonymous/dr-carl-jungs-letter-to-bill-w-jan-30-1961/

Some people might be asking themselves if they are"in the club" , alcoholic or just a problem drinker.

Some drinkers die from alcohol but they were not alcoholic, just excessive drunks, 

many have to be medically separated from alcohol , detoxed and spend time drying out in rehabs, suffer from fatty liver but they are not alcoholic.

they can put it down and get a life. They might fall in love and have an epiphany, they have not lost the ability to change the direction of their life.

The problem drinkers all lack the common denominator.

They lack the tell tale psychological marker, they do not obsess about alcohol,

AA has a very simple question to get to the point.

"If when drinking you lose all control, or if when not drinking you just can't leave it alone, you might be suffering from an illness that only a spiritual experience will conquer."

On January 21, 2021 at 4:06 AM, ErikT said:

Day 21 - having a bit of a hard time this week. Certainly not going to slip at all but I’ve taken on a new role at work and it’s like a foreign language to me. Lots of pressure to speak about some things I don’t know. I beat myself up a lot. Throwing myself out the 20th floor window crosses my mind a lot. I will never do it because I love being alive and I’m a gigantic ***** but I’m losing my ah!t for sure.

Are we close to July yet?

On January 21, 2021 at 9:31 AM, Chunkah said:

Day 19, doing good, down 16 pounds since 1/2....gonna keep it up!

On January 16, 2021 at 7:08 AM, Kbetts said:

Day 16 here as well.

On January 21, 2021 at 10:06 AM, Auce said:

2 Months Dry. However I've fallen into the dry drunk phase.

"What is a dry drinker?
The term is used by Alcoholics in relation to feelings of anger, depression and resentment. A dry drunk can be described as a person who refrains from alcohol or drugs, but still has all the unresolved emotional and psychological issues which might have fueled the addiction to begin with."

I'm moody, irritable, don't sleep for chit. Can't seem to shake this funk. I go for walks to clear my head but an hour later I was right back where I started.

4,382 days today,keep up the good work fellas 

I always liked what Bill Wilson's doctor  ( Silkworth) had to say about it all.

He was a non alcoholic but had vast experience trying to treat them.

“Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks—drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery. On the other hand—and strange as this may seem to those who do not understand—once a psychic change has occurred, the very same person who seemed doomed, who had so many problems he despaired of ever solving them, suddenly finds himself easily able to control his desire for alcohol, the only effort necessary being that required to follow a few simple rules.”

Simple rules,

Trust God, Clean house, Help others.

This is great positive news men, and ladies:howdy:

No one said the road would be easy, but it is doable. Each and every one of you are a success story and are helping more than you will ever know. Think of how positive making this change in each life will be. 

Good work men, and ladies:howdy: 

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

On 1/23/2021 at 2:38 AM, jonesg said:

( Silkworth)

“Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one.  "

Notice he didn't say 'while they admit it is injurious, they cannot stop drinking'.

He said they lose the ability to tell the difference between true and false.

This is consistent with the fact that the illness centers in the mind, thats why the mind isn't much help trying to get well, a sick mind fights to stay sick. Otherwise it wouldn't be sick.

I found even though I was 1000 miles into the dark forest I was only 12 steps to get out.