Stopsign32v

Good topwater lure for surf fishing blues?

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2021 at 2:37 AM, ACFishing said:

I throw a 10 ft when required for blues but, if I'm in a spot by myself or in the bay you better bet Im throwing my 7-8 ft rods!

But I'm in North Carolina where 200 yards off the beach you are barely in 6ft of water 

Any popper with a single hook on the back that you can bomb out there. 99% of the time Bluefish are dumb and don't care about color or size.

But I have seen them get picky on occasion.

5 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

But I'm in North Carolina where 200 yards off the beach you are barely in 6ft of water 

Then get whatever length you think your area would require, Here in Jersey a 9-10 ft rod is great for blues off the surf/rocks and in the bays we have fish 10 feet in front of us and we don't require anything past 8 ft most times.

30 mins ago, ACFishing said:

Then get whatever length you think your area would require, Here in Jersey a 9-10 ft rod is great for blues off the surf/rocks and in the bays we have fish 10 feet in front of us and we don't require anything past 8 ft most times.

I think whipping a 12' might be a little tiresome. I was thinking along the lines of 10' or more likely 11'. How much distance would 1' add you guys think? Maybe a 12' is the rod I seek!

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 12/31/2020 at 7:49 AM, srm413 said:

unfortunately only available used.  gag's grabber bluefish bomb

GGBB-03c%20Green%20Mackerel,%20Chrome.jpg

I have a couple of those.  They kick ass on blues (when they come way up north).  Haven't used in a while since not many blues around lately.  Need to change my hooks, they're rusted to $hit.

Edit: my local shop still sells them.

But yeah, bluefish will hit anything that pisses them off.  And color really doesn't matter.

I also have Creek Chub 6 Pin in blue/purple with pink polka-dots a-waiting a blue to destroy it.

Edited by Skunkoff

On 12/31/2020 at 0:37 PM, flyangler said:

And yes, I am tempting fate fishing to blues with just a flouro leader and a TA clip....

You are. I've lost a few good plugs when a blue I was fighting had a "schoolmate" come and try to grab the plug from its mouth and sliced the line. But when they are on the feed in a school of bait fish you could catch em on the lid from a tin can or a church key if it had a hook on it. No better adrenaline rush for me!

On 1/2/2021 at 2:19 AM, RedJeep said:

Creek Chub Striper Strike in chrome. If they are in thick I would take off the tail hook so you only do battle with the biggest of the school.

Peace

I vote for the chrome Striper Strike as well. They don't stay chrome for long when the blue fishing is good. This one has some mojo.

20190406_163309.jpg

3 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

I think whipping a 12' might be a little tiresome. I was thinking along the lines of 10' or more likely 11'. How much distance would 1' add you guys think? Maybe a 12' is the rod I seek!

I would go with a 10 or 11 especially if you are plugging, 12 ft is rare to see unless your a bait guy.

Edited by ACFishing

9 hours ago, ACFishing said:

I would go with a 10 or 11 especially if you are plugging, 12 ft is rare to see unless your a bait guy.

IF Okuma is accurate with their lure weigh range...The 10'6 M is calling my name. 1-4oz lure weight would be perfect for what I want to do with this rod. 

Surface Tension lures gets my vote.  Indestructable, and the flashy foil strip is placed down in a channel so it is protected somewhat.  I hage ST lures that have caught a few hundred Blues each.  I changed the hooks on them several times.

2 mins ago, Mike Mendez said:

I found Surface Tension Lures at Tackle Direct

Surface Tension.JPG

However, its out of stock/discontinued. You can't buy it at this time unless some tackle shop still has a select few left.

1 hour ago, Stopsign32v said:

IF Okuma is accurate with their lure weigh range...The 10'6 M is calling my name. 1-4oz lure weight would be perfect for what I want to do with this rod. 

what's your budget? I'd assume around 100 bucks, if so I'd consider looking at the SC Mojo or even the Tsunami Airwave but pushing up the price would give you some fairly good options for all around rods. The Rockaway is not bad either tho

Edited by ACFishing