Good topwater lure for surf fishing blues?

Rate this topic

Stopsign32v

Anything that casts far and has lots of commotion.  Bluefish are pretty vicious and will eat anything.  A buddy of mine told me a story about how he used a piece of rope with no hooks to catch a bluefish.  It’s teeth just got caught in the rope and a hook wasn’t even necessary.

Why aren’t you fishing?

4 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

I honestly think around NC coast the most active fish I will be coming across on the surf will be bluefish. What are some great topwater lures for them?

Is the Ranger lure any good? Ranger-Chrome-Plated.jpg Ranger-Chrome-With-Red-Stripe.jpg Ranger-White.jpg

Or the smaller 3/4oz Peppy? Peppy-Chartreuse.jpg

Thats a big list..Atoms,Tsunami Talkin Poppers,GIbbs Polaris,Super Strike Little Necks,just to name a few.

13 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

I honestly think around NC coast the most active fish I will be coming across on the surf will be bluefish. What are some great topwater lures for them?

Bluefish ... awesome fish!

I became a salty / surf spinning fisherman back in the 70s, as the rush of a big Blue blowing up on a Creek Chub Striper Strike is high!  In the late 80s the Bluefish blitzes off Nags Head were truly epic... and got me back into the sport after a decade away.

DSCN1624.jpeg.770e191dc03653d9c4075c9290f40675.jpeg

Any top water plastic popper that cast far will do just fine! And single barb hooks are preferred.

Edited by KironaFly
spelling

RockfishOn!! :cool:

I go to fleamarkets and buy all the old Atom and rebel poppers I can find. No paint less than a buck each usually. 

Go to garage sales. Buy kitchen spoons. Cut handles off. Drill holes attach split ring and hook.

Blues don't care and destroy plugs. No need to spend big money.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

As others are pointing out, Bluefish will strike at pretty much anything.

If I were targeting bluefish in the surf, I’d be using something made from brightly colored plastic or shiny metal.

Fancy paint jobs and expensive wooden plugs have no place in bluefish fishing.

You’d just be throwing money away if you used some handmade wooden boutique plug.

Single, extra strong tail hook is all you need and it’s much safer when unhooking a thrashing bluefish.

I do think a dressed hook looks better than a plain one but dressings don’t hold up to bluefish teeth for very long.

-Robert’s Ranger

-GT Ice Cream

-Crippled Herring

-Hopkins No-Eql

^^^those are all you’d need^^^