Takin Aesbestos or Getting Up Two or Three Layer of Flooring

Rate this topic

flyrad10

The previous post titled “Getting Up Eight Layers of Flooring” got me thinking about the arsbestos danger in my home as I want to do some renovation upstairs and remove textured walls and ceiling downstairs. Take a look at this mess and give me feed back on how to remove it or simple cover it with something. The floors have at least two kinds of linoleum tiles and two horrible styles of sheet viny. I think I will get a HD test kit and test the flooring and the wallboard compound. Anyone have experience with their test kits? The wall board compound removes easily when wetted but makes a horrible mess but may be bettet than sanding and skim coating. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The black tiles in the first picture may very well contain asbestos. Supposedly the tiles are safe enough to handle so long as you're not smashing them to dust. The real hazard with those tiles is actually the mastic they used to use to glue the tiles down. That most certainly contains asbestos. I dealt with those kind of tiles in my house recently. It's perfectly acceptable to encapsulate them by tiling over them. That's what I did. I can't comment on any of those test kits, I've never used one.

1 hour ago, chitala383 said:

The black tiles in the first picture may very well contain asbestos. Supposedly the tiles are safe enough to handle so long as you're not smashing them to dust. The real hazard with those tiles is actually the mastic they used to use to glue the tiles down. That most certainly contains asbestos. I dealt with those kind of tiles in my house recently. It's perfectly acceptable to encapsulate them by tiling over them. That's what I did. I can't comment on any of those test kits, I've never used one.

This is what seems to get ignored in the hysteria.  Rather than use power tools spreading particles of mastic and tile , what I've decided to do is to disassemble the floor  with heat and unscrewing till the bottom 5 layers can be just pulled up in chunks.

I wouldn't mess with removing the texture. 

Me, I would prime it with a bonding agent like plaster weld and skim coat it. You may want to get quotes from drywallers or plastering guys. Plasterers will cost a little more, but they will be done in one day. 

9x9 inch tiles are VAT. Vinyl asbestos tiles. The black mastic glue also contains asbestos. 

12x12 tiles are VCT tiles, vinyl composition tiles. Depending on when they were made the adhesive may or may not contain it.

Skip the test kit. Seal the room you are working with . Use 3 mil plastic . You can buy a zipper kit so you can go in and out the door. 

Keep everything wet while you work. Suck it up with wet dry vac.

I did this work for 3 years.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

I would seal off the room with 4 mil plastic.

wet down the ares and saw it into 3’x3’ sections with a skill saw and pry it up with flat bars 

wear a asbestos filter mask and a tyvek suit and dispose it 

On 12/30/2020 at 10:57 AM, flyrad10 said:

The previous post titled “Getting Up Eight Layers of Flooring” got me thinking about the arsbestos danger in my home as I want to do some renovation upstairs and remove textured walls and ceiling downstairs. Take a look at this mess and give me feed back on how to remove it or simple cover it with something. The floors have at least two kinds of linoleum tiles and two horrible styles of sheet viny. I think I will get a HD test kit and test the flooring and the wallboard compound. Anyone have experience with their test kits? The wall board compound removes easily when wetted but makes a horrible mess but may be bettet than sanding and skim coating. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't know if the black tile is asbestos or not. I can tell you having loose rug over it like in the first picture will cause problems. My whole house is asbestos tile, i am on a slab. Been in the house since 92. What happens with the loose rug sand/dirt gets under and through it., it moves when you walk on it and over time wears on the tiles like sand paper. the hallway in my house has one  small area with loose rug and it is very noticeable haw much the tiles have worn down over the years.