Small Streams

Rate this topic

Hook I

If your out bush busting for brookies the water temps at least my way are warm enough to get the Blackflies hatching . No problems with the windy conditions , On a side note seeing lots of active stoneflies about , On the main branch of the river just below the stream had a few Caddis hatching nothing going on in the brook though. 

P4070005.JPG

2 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

If your out bush busting for brookies the water temps at least my way are warm enough to get the Blackflies hatching . No problems with the windy conditions , On a side note seeing lots of active stoneflies about , On the main branch of the river just below the stream had a few Caddis hatching nothing going on in the brook though. 

P4070005.JPG

I have a piece of woodland with a small stream that never gets above 65 degrees.

Seven springs on the property.

I'm going to have to check into stocking some brookies.

3 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Very sure.

Contacting a local biologist for some evaluation might just be the ticket . My streams can dry during a very hot and minimal snow season. It’s has not from my eyes but a local told me he witnessed it . Good luck sounds like a great project . I have so many wild streams a stones throw , not worth the effort . 

If it has fins i want to catch it 

2 hours ago, Hook I said:

Contacting a local biologist for some evaluation might just be the ticket . My streams can dry during a very hot and minimal snow season. It’s has not from my eyes but a local told me he witnessed it . Good luck sounds like a great project . I have so many wild streams a stones throw , not worth the effort . 

This one doesn't dry out.  Lot's of bookie streams nearby.

More of an interest to see them on my property.

• 3 months later...

7/25 Been a while before I got on small water , this one I did recon over the winter no map , no name high ground Catskills extremely challenging in and out .But I had a hunch there were fish there . CA640616-293D-44E9-A6F7-0130F7EE2719.jpeg.487c3501821c473d8195a6f75246119e.jpeg10175BB5-8CF4-44C6-8BAB-ED5030485DBE.jpeg.ce2dc5fab974eb9d0fe37b78ed3db477.jpegBE49F202-731A-4D3B-9675-F1A9B2B1B2A2.jpeg.f3b16a433275c47a34865963db1c19a6.jpeg Got 3 missed one Dry fly  , Partridge & red ,getting out transverse to the ridge . I was tried  6’6” 3w 6x 

Missed this post, Very nice pics and reporting. This is the way most of us Old guys started. All by yourself, no phones, noise, just those precious babbling brooks. There are many awesome mountain clear cool creeks in the mountain ranges in Western Ma and Northwest Ct.. When I was on on a Fly fishing only site these places always drew the most attention. It's like a diamond in the rough. All winter you counted the days to get to these gems. 

1 hour ago, RAW said:

Missed this post, Very nice pics and reporting. This is the way most of us Old guys started. All by yourself, no phones, noise, just those precious babbling brooks. There are many awesome mountain clear cool creeks in the mountain ranges in Western Ma and Northwest Ct.. When I was on on a Fly fishing only site these places always drew the most attention. It's like a diamond in the rough. All winter you counted the days to get to these gems. 

Thanks , this was not an easy get to an awesome game these wild Brookies. It’s fun ! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

9/15 9am -11:30am got on a NJ wild trout stream today , water 65 degrees, wet waded , this water was new to me so I didn’t know what to expect , I did recon before those heavy rains . Missed 4 , lost 1 and I Brown Trout  to the net . Elk Hair Caddis #18 this was a pretty impressive fish was not expecting its size 

E3877352-7A83-4721-9FD2-1B3BFC67C240.jpeg.23e6ce2db678316e885a456678f55b9a.jpeg
DDE84744-1B07-49A2-A0A9-E92DA7B566DB.jpeg.a590d29ddc83fd16845b8d96e1e3508a.jpeg

I’ll go back again maybe a Brookie next time