PSegnatelli

Knife Question

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jettyjockey18 said:

not sure i would've been as cooperative, especially if I knew my car was clean...wonder what the dog was trained to sniff out, and why it was indicating a false positive...

I didn't care that day. I knew there was nothing in my car. And it was funny that the dog was triggered by my car so I wanted to know what he sniffed.  :)

I showed them my car. They apologized for the inconvenience when they were done. 

2 hours ago, jettyjockey18 said:

not sure i would've been as cooperative, especially if I knew my car was clean...wonder what the dog was trained to sniff out, and why it was indicating a false positive...

Maybe the pooch was trained on oregano. 

2 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

Unfortunately, if a K-9 "alerts": on your vehicle,  you may not have a choice about being cooperative.  

you're probably right...a K9 alert is most likely considered "probable cause" for a vehicle search...

2 mins ago, jettyjockey18 said:

you're probably right...a K9 alert is most likely considered "probable cause" for a vehicle search...

yes, as ridiculous as it seems.

7 hours ago, zak-striper said:

A few years ago my girlfriend and I were heading to the vineyard on July 3 for a week's vacation. While waiting for the ferry we left our car to get coffee at the breakfast place nearby. 

When we got back a couple of state troopers and a k9 were waiting at my car. They said the dog sniffed something in my car.

I didn't have anything "illegal" in my car so I open it up and let them look around.

They said they were checking for (illegal) fireworks. Turns out the k9 smelled my bag of cooking supplies which had oregano, garlic, basil, thyme, etc in it.  :)

Sit Ubu...good dog 

Whatever you do, don’t take word of mouth advice from the police on the knife refs. I got 3 different answers from   3 friends in LE. State, local and one local turned Fed. Like with our firearms laws,  there’s lots of confusion. 

13 hours ago, jettyjockey18 said:

The police can lawfully run a dog around a publicly parked car, if the dog hit's on the car it can be used as probable cause to then search the vehicle. I would make it very clear to the officer that you do not consent to any search of your vehicle. That does not mean they won't search it but it does mean that a lawyer may be able to challenge the search later on in court should you wish to go that route. At any rate your under no obligation to make their job any easier.

6 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Whatever you do, don’t take word of mouth advice from the police on the knife refs. I got 3 different answers from   3 friends in LE. State, local and one local turned Fed. Like with our firearms laws,  there’s lots of confusion. 

Many either don't know the laws they enforce or choose to ignore them when it's convenient. Sad but true.

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 hours ago, zak-striper said:

A few years ago my girlfriend and I were heading to the vineyard on July 3 for a week's vacation. While waiting for the ferry we left our car to get coffee at the breakfast place nearby. 

When we got back a couple of state troopers and a k9 were waiting at my car. They said the dog sniffed something in my car.

I didn't have anything "illegal" in my car so I open it up and let them look around.

They said they were checking for (illegal) fireworks. Turns out the k9 smelled my bag of cooking supplies which had oregano, garlic, basil, thyme, etc in it.  :)

Edited by DanCbass
Joke already used