PSegnatelli

Knife Question

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Does Mass have any knife length restrictions other than auto knives?

 

Generally carry a Swiss Army folder. But will have a filet knife & bait knife in car as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massachusetts does has knife regulations, because we're Massachusetts and rulez is guud...

of hand i believe there is a length restriction but don't remember what exactly, 4 inches sounds familiar...

the interesting caveat is that the knife restrictions are exempted if you have an LTC, even for auto knives...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 mins ago, heyblue34 said:

Check with your local police department. Usually anything over 4” is illegal.

My local pd is in Ct.  

 

I'm comin up to fish and would process my catch there. Hence the filet knife. Bait knife is for...bait!  

 

I would choose what knives to bring according to your regs.   I've got filet knives from 3in to 14in.   I'm not looking to carry it, just curious on it being in the car.  Alot of states have exceptions on fishing, but there may be times I'm not fishing. So I take that into thought as well. 

 

 

I've thought about getting my Non Resident Mass permit but I can't afford it at the moment. Pepper spray is legal and I'll make due with that.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to pump a bit of air into a rigged eel with a syringe (for fishing shallow) and during a "police search" of my truck they found a couple of syringes. The cop that found them announced in a very loud voice: "He's got works"!!! With that, they dismantled everything in my vehicle ("probable cause") and strewed the stuff all over the ground in the rain. In the end, they did not find anything illegal as I had a "professional reason" for the syringes and the knives so they left me there in the rain to put away all my stuff in the pouring rain....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, jason colby said:

I used to pump a bit of air into a rigged eel with a syringe (for fishing shallow) and during a "police search" of my truck they found a couple of syringes. The cop that found them announced in a very loud voice: "He's got works"!!! With that, they dismantled everything in my vehicle ("probable cause") and strewed the stuff all over the ground in the rain. In the end, they did not find anything illegal as I had a "professional reason" for the syringes and the knives so they left me there in the rain to put away all my stuff in the pouring rain....

I've been in similar situations. I used to smoke a pipe, started in my teens.  Also worked kitchens so I always had a bag full of knives.  :beatin:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

Check with your local police department. Usually anything over 4” is illegal.

for clarification, 4" folding... I don't think there's a restriction on fixed blade... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp. I remember different, but it seems there are no statewide laws governing the length of a folder. However, at a rough  guess, half the towns and cities do have such laws, and I've lived in an area where neighboring towns competed to see who could be the "safest." They all claimed they weren't worried about their own residents, just the hooligans that came in from the next town. T'was him.

Boston has a ban on folders over 2.5", and most of its neighbors mimic them.

 

As mentioned above, these are carry laws, so something in a tacklebox in your trunk is out of scope.

 

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/massachusetts/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ermghoti said:

Welp. I remember different, but it seems there are no statewide laws governing the length of a folder. However, at a rough  guess, half the towns and cities do have such laws, and I've lived in an area where neighboring towns competed to see who could be the "safest." They all claimed they weren't worried about their own residents, just the hooligans that came in from the next town. T'was him.

Boston has a ban on folders over 2.5", and most of its neighbors mimic them.

 

As mentioned above, these are carry laws, so something in a tacklebox in your trunk is out of scope.

 

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/massachusetts/

Thanks.  Didn't think about individual town laws.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is an exception to blade size restrictions if you are hunting or fishing. I also think that you can’t have a double edged blade unless you have a firearms LTC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, z-man said:

I think there is an exception to blade size restrictions if you are hunting or fishing. I also think that you can’t have a double edged blade unless you have a firearms LTC. 

I've heard that, but I've never found a reference in the law. I have a pretty decent folding Rapala fillet knife that I don't bring anywhere any more. Fixed blades carried openly, or secured in a container are good to go, so I stick to that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By Curt Brown

Posted Oct 14, 2018 at 6:25 AMUpdated Oct 15, 2018 at 5:06 PM
   

Since 2011, New Bedford has had an ordinance that, with a few exceptions for sportsmen, prohibits carrying a knife with a blade longer than 2 1/2 inches, either on your person or in a vehicle. Through mid-September of this year, however, the number of arrests (64)had already exceeded the arrest for all of 2017 (59). That has some, especially in the minority and low-income communities, worried about whether the ordinance is being applied with equal discretion; police say it is used when an officer determines their is a public safety concern.

NEW BEDFORD — Police are making greater use of the city’s 17-year-old knife ordinance — a measure that relies heavily on the discretion of officers in deciding who is arrested and who receives an education on the law.

The number of arrests this far in 2018 for carrying a knife with a blade longer than 2 1/2 inches, either on a person or in a vehicle, already surpasses the number of arrests for all of 2017. Through Sept. 13 of this year, 64 people have been arrested as compared to 59 for all of last year. The statistics were provided by the New Bedford Police Department.

Police Chief Joseph C. Cordeiro said he believes in the ordinance and sees it as a way to compel compliance and educate the public. He also stands behind the men and women of his department in its enforcement, he said.

“The officers are using good discretion out there,” Cordeiro said. “Everything has mitigating circumstances.”

Related content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF WEAPONS

ALM GL ch. 269, § 10 (2012)

§ 10. Weapons — Dangerous Weapons — Unlawfully Carrying.

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.