Stopsign32v

What type boat should I look for? New boat buyer

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Well it will be for around the NC area and will mainly be doing inshore fishing in the ICW but I would like the ability to go out a little bit in the big water to catch some Spanish or False Albacore. I don't think I would need to go out far, just maybe past the first shelf. What should I be looking for? Will probably fish 3 off it. 

Whats your budget is the first and last answer? Will you keep it docked or trailered?

Most likely, something 21-24 ft. outboard 150hp or better, less than 15 yrs old, I like some cover with a head. Parker makes a great fishing boat with some creature comforts. many others too. Wish ya' luck, its a money pit.

1 hour ago, nicknotsebastian said:

(used) parker 21 se cc.

I like those boats but I also like (a lot) the flat fishing areas of a flats boats. But that probably wouldn't do good in big water huh? 

30 mins ago, Stopsign32v said:

I like those boats but I also like (a lot) the flat fishing areas of a flats boats. But that probably wouldn't do good in big water huh? 

No. 

Parker or Jones Brothers you will see a lot of down there. That is not by accident. 

4 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

The SE doesn’t draw too much ,I bet you could get that into some pretty skinny water I would imagine. Ask nicknotsebastian he is familiar with Parkers . 

Edited by puff tentacle

20 mins ago, puff tentacle said:

The SE doesn’t draw too much ,I bet you could get that into some pretty skinny water I would imagine. Ask nicknotsebastian he is familiar with Parkers . 

Is the SE just the Special Edition? What makes it that anyways?

I fish the ICW north and south of Swansboro in a Robalo Cayman 206S w/ Yamaha 150. To get a shalllower draft boat you will need to go to a skiff, I see more 17’ to 19’ Carolina Skiff’s than anything else (90 to 115 HP mostly).  Next step up in a skiff is the Bayrider (made in Wilson by Kencraft) and then of course the Jones Bros Bateau made in Morehead City and a lot more money but built commercial tough.  Boats Inc on US70 in Morehead is a Robalo dealer, Goose Creek Marine on NC24 in Bogue is a Bayrider dealer.  OH

16 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

Some companies make a variation of the flats boat that they call a "light tackle boat" or something of the sort.

A friend has a 24-foot Triton light tackle boat that I like very much.  When he bought it, we had to run it out of a Long Island inlet, through a fairly stiff chop in the ocean, up through New York Harbor and into Long Island Sound,and it handled all of that water very well.  Yet it will float in 13 inches of water with the engines up.  Bow and stern casting platforms, live well, center console.  

If I was in your position, I'd think seriously about something like that.

13 mins ago, CWitek said:

Some companies make a variation of the flats boat that they call a "light tackle boat" or something of the sort.

A friend has a 24-foot Triton light tackle boat that I like very much.  When he bought it, we had to run it out of a Long Island inlet, through a fairly stiff chop in the ocean, up through New York Harbor and into Long Island Sound,and it handled all of that water very well.  Yet it will float in 13 inches of water with the engines up.  Bow and stern casting platforms, live well, center console.  

If I was in your position, I'd think seriously about something like that.

I tried looking up what you are talking about but couldn't find anything. And then I searched a light tackle Triton and I think what you are referring to, they call a "bay boat". With that said I searched that and saw one that looked pretty cool. Wife would like it with our girls for just fun around the ICW and then my son and I could still use it for fishing. What do you guys think of this:

https://tcmarine.com/boat-brands/bayliner-boats-ontario/element-f21-fish/

I believe Jones Brothers does a shallow water 21-23' CC. I have a Parker 1801 that can go into some pretty skinny stuff but also make it 15 miles off if conditions allow. I will say two things with it being trailered look at your towing vehicle capacity, and do not settle with a boat there will be a better one that pops up a week or two later.

6 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

I tried looking up what you are talking about but couldn't find anything. And then I searched a light tackle Triton and I think what you are referring to, they call a "bay boat". With that said I searched that and saw one that looked pretty cool. Wife would like it with our girls for just fun around the ICW and then my son and I could still use it for fishing. What do you guys think of this:

https://tcmarine.com/boat-brands/bayliner-boats-ontario/element-f21-fish/

I'd stay away from Bayliners if I could.  Not the best quality.

If Triton makes a bay boat, that could be what I was referring to.  My friend bought it a few years ago, so the marketing may have changed.

I would do a few charters in your local area & going fishing , may cost you a grand but you will have 1st hand fishing experience what style fishing you are going to do most of the year.  Talk to the captains  that's what I would do