LuPork

New Waders - When/How do I use these?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hi All,

For Christmas I received my first pair of waders. They are the kind where the rubber boots are attached to the pants/bib so not separate boots.

Can someone please give some advice on when and how to use waders? I usually surf cast from sand and haven't really rock hopped much.

Are they mainly for colder weather months to stay warm/dry?

I also heard that there are some safety things to know too (waders filled with water === bad)

25 mins ago, LuPork said:

Hi All,

For Christmas I received my first pair of waders. They are the kind where the rubber boots are attached to the pants/bib so not separate boots.

Can someone please give some advice on when and how to use waders? I usually surf cast from sand and haven't really rock hopped much.

Are they mainly for colder weather months to stay warm/dry?

I also heard that there are some safety things to know too (waders filled with water === bad)

As far a weather goes you'll have to get a feel for what temps to wear them.  Underneath you should wear light breathable layers and add/remove them as needed.  The breathable garments help moisture (perspiration) move away from your body.  Cotton is not recommended as it will absorb moisture leaving you wet and cold.  Don't tuck your jacket into your waders wear it over them with a wading belt over the jacket which lets water flow down the front of you keeping you dry.  I should add the your jacket should be waterproof.  

Great advice from Frede.  

Definitely get and use a wading belt! Also, take your time to get comfortable with them - you don’t need to get chest deep in your first day.  Wading is def something you’ll need to get a feel for (can’t see your footing and you’ll have drag with the legs). 

Similar to the wading belt, have a knife handy (God forbid you need to cut free). 

Posted (edited)

Used for cold weather/water when you don’t want to be wet. As others said a good belt is helpful and can help stow gear. A waterproof jacket is pretty key too if you’ll be splashed. Only concerns are falling and them filling with water. Also footing and added drag take some getting used to, but no biggie.

ETA: belt and jacket OVER waiters. Keeps water out.

Edited by Johnsmyname

Most of us wear our waders when the water is chilly, like in the spring and fall. You'll find that waders are many times unnecessary in the summer months if you're on a sand beach.

Waders are not unique to rock hopping. If you plan on fishing rocky beaches like out in Montauk or on any jetty in the northeast, buying spikes by brands like Korkers are highly advisable. They slip over the outside of your boots and give you much needed traction on slippery rocks.

The advice above is spot on; synthetic baselayers like Under Armor, Nike Pro, Patagonia Capelene, etc, are great options, as are fleece pants for really cold weather.

Biggest piece of advice I can give you is to be smart about where and when you wade. Just because the water looks calm doesn't mean there isn't undertoe or rip currents. Be mindful of your footing and where you are standing. Never wade deeper than you need to. Waist deep isn't always necessary, and more than ankle deep isn't necessary on most beach fronts. Wear that wader belt like others have mentioned. It can save your life. 

Other than that welcome to the club and tight lines!

1st few times you go in.  They'll feel like they're leaking.   They're not.  Its just cold and a new sensation.  

3 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

1st few times you go in.  They'll feel like they're leaking.   They're not.  Its just cold and a new sensation.  

Don't worry though before too long they will leak.. I'm wet to the knee after 2 hours lol

1 min ago, PSegnatelli said:

They might leak you never know. But a dry jacket and a belt over the jacket. 

I also wear them for snow blowing, when done hang them up and your completely dry and happy.

For fishing, once you wear them you'll never fish again without, unless its summer or warm weather island. Even in the summer I like them. Dry boys always feel better than a wet sack. 

Waders aren't exclusive to rock hopping.  They are worn by fisherman on the sand as well, and can be useful to wade out to a bar or other piece of structure that needs to be reached.  If you do rock hop, make sure you are always wearing spikes on your feet, it is an essential piece of safety equipment.  Something to keep in mind, even well made expensive waders can rip or tear quite easily.  Be mindful of sharp rocks and barnacles, etc.  Waders can be worn year round, just adjust your layers underneath accordingly.  A common misconception about waders filling with water is that you will sink.  This is not the case as air gets trapped inside the waders keeping you afloat.  However, you may not float right side up and your mobility will be severely limited.  This can be deadly depending on the situation.  Always wade cautiously and within your comfort level.  Also always wear a wader belt and carry a dependable knife.

One thing you might consider, if you are buying a regular rain jacket, not a surf specific jacket to go along with you waders buy one that is made for backpacking. Backpacking rain jackets have the pockets placed high up the torso so they are not covered by the backpacks hip belt. This way the pockets can be utilized so small pieces of gear vs being covered by your surf belt. I have a LL Bean simple rain jacket meant for backpacking and the 2 pockets are high up above the waste. 

On 12/29/2020 at 4:30 PM, PSegnatelli said:

To be fair they might be, waders suck and regardless of price they'll all leak sooner or later. Not that there’s a better option a lotof the time. Get yourself a big tube of aquaseal and treat the seams and where the material connects to the boot. This will help you extend their effective life.