Water Dog

Shore fishing in Destin - rod and reel recommendation

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

So my parents bought a retirement place in Destin recently.  I’m trying to set my dad up with a shore fishing outfit.  I really don’t have a clue as to what the fishing scene is like down there, what you’re targeting or by what method.  I know that this is quite a broad range to cover but any recommendations for a general shore based set up would be much appreciated.  

7 to 8ft inshore spinner, 4000 size reel 15 or 20# braid and flouro leader..  Gold spoons, pompano jigs, rapala xraps, mirrolures, 1/8 to 1/4oz jigheads and 2-4in paddletails and finS rubber baits will get him going.  

I appreciate the reply.  Going through some of my old gear laying around, I’m giving them one of my old surf outfits, a 9’ Tica surf rod with an old Shimano Baitrunner 3500B and one of my old kayak rods, a 7’ Star Stellar lite with a Spinfisher SSV 3500.  Hopefully they will be able to get some use out of it.

Once all this COVID stuff is over, I’ll be headed down there to spend a few weeks and hopefully I’ll get a better handle on the fishing scene to set them up properly.  In the meantime, I hope they can make due with the gear I’m sending them down with.

2 set ups for throwing 2-3oz sinkers with small crabs or shrimp in a sand spike in hopes of pompano whiting and drum is the most popular method for beach fishing. 10-12ft spinners are the norm.

The standard 7ft m with 4k reel is the standard setup for your trout redfish Spanish mackerel and other inshore near shore species with artificials. 

Nice!  Appreciate the insight and offer.  Will definitely take you up on it whenever it is I make it down there.  It’s also nice to know that the gear I gave them will be useful!

On 12/30/2020 at 3:32 PM, Water Dog said:

I appreciate the reply.  Going through some of my old gear laying around, I’m giving them one of my old surf outfits, a 9’ Tica surf rod with an old Shimano Baitrunner 3500B and one of my old kayak rods, a 7’ Star Stellar lite with a Spinfisher SSV 3500.  Hopefully they will be able to get some use out of it.

Once all this COVID stuff is over, I’ll be headed down there to spend a few weeks and hopefully I’ll get a better handle on the fishing scene to set them up properly.  In the meantime, I hope they can make due with the gear I’m sending them down with.

Nothing wrong with that.

He can spike the Tica/Baitrunner and cast the Stellar/SSV while waiting for a Pomp/Drum/Whiting bite.