WestCorkBass

Redington Behemoth Drag Issue

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Hi Folks I have a less than year old Redington Behemoth 9/10 wt Reel with a self inflicted drag issues due to salt water

(I've been rinsing it but the mounting position on my Kayak has clearly allowed way to much salt into the internals).

The drag basically seized, I have managed to free it but it isn't a usable drag even when slackened off  :-(

I've got as far as the attached the photo in attempting to strip it and the next step will require the cir clip removal.

So my questions are.. Is it worth taking it further, what parts will I find, are they replaceable, any other suggestions? 

Thanks in advance - David Norman (Ireland)

20201229_132831.jpg

Edited by WestCorkBass

WCB

Buy or borrow a circlip plier and take the reel down totally. Clean all Parts and then re assemble greasing parts that need it.

The reel should have come with a parts list or maybe it is available on line.

For the future a rinse under the tap is not enough if you dunk your reel or if it gets wave washed. An old tooth brush and cotton buds are good cleaning tools.

Fly reels are mostly very simple devices and don’t need sending back for service. 

Mike.

PS Guide Fly Fishing is the UK agent and may cover S. Ireland to. They are very helpful.

Edited by Mike Oliver

WCB,

If the one-way clutch bearing is still serviceable why not go a little further and remove the clip ring and take a look?

It appears you might have some pretty heavy oxidation going on but maybe with some cleaning and a little lubrication you can get another season out of it.    Obviously you need to remove the clip ring to get to the inner workings and having clip ring pliers is the best way but if you have a couple of small screw drivers you can fineness the ring off if you are careful.    BTW, might want to wear safety glasses as sometimes they can get away from you doing it that way.    What do you really have to loose at this point?

HT

After dunking my 9/10 too many times this spring it got jumpy and sticky.  I couldn't find a parts diagram but it's simple under the clip. A pita to get in and out compared to the others circlips I've come across but a simple stack. 

After thorough cleaning and almost too much grease it didn't let me down this fall but had a lot less corrosion then yours - might be worth asking about the warranty claim or visit to a friendly service center. 

Wish I had photos or remembered more of the last go around. I should break it down again and do some preventative maintenance on another when I find the time.

Edited by Bait Tailer

Not a sealed reel so warranty not really applicable.   Good ole user abuse. I do the same except I do clean them up to preserve the life.

The sea gives most metal parts  limited life.

mike

Thanks Guys, Purchase was only in May of 2020 but I doubt Redington will entertain me for what is clearly Saltwater corrosion.

Have to say I am amazed at how quickly this has happened, as I say it gets rinsed, the same as my numerous fixed spools and

I've never seen anything like this before on the externals of any reel before we even get into the drag issue.

I've ordered a set of Cir clip pliers and will report back on what I find, with photos.

On the way forward I can actually manage without the drag for the deepwater Pollock that it's used for but I will need a reel of this size

with a working clutch for a SW trip next year so my dilema is, do I spend another £150

and have one 100% functioning reel with two spools or start again with another brand/model.

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated. 

Thanks - David Norman (Ireland)

20201230_112639.jpg

4 mins ago, theshadow said:

Penetrating oil like C-56 and let it sit for a few days.

Good Idea,  actually Bear's Den sells "Blue Creeper" 

Scott swears by this stuff and even uses it to free stuck rod ferrules.    Bought some to keep in my travel kit.

HT

5feca4791c2f3_bluecreeper.jpg.b7e33116afc0444d8c9ec7f987fe06a7.jpg

5 hours ago, WestCorkBass said:

Thanks Guys, Purchase was only in May of 2020 but I doubt Redington will entertain me for what is clearly Saltwater corrosion.

Have to say I am amazed at how quickly this has happened, as I say it gets rinsed, the same as my numerous fixed spools and

I've never seen anything like this before on the externals of any reel before we even get into the drag issue.

I've ordered a set of Cir clip pliers and will report back on what I find, with photos.

On the way forward I can actually manage without the drag for the deepwater Pollock that it's used for but I will need a reel of this size

with a working clutch for a SW trip next year so my dilema is, do I spend another £150

and have one 100% functioning reel with two spools or start again with another brand/model.

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated. 

20201230_112639.jpg

If all else fails, you still might try Redington.

Far Bank which owns both Sage and Redington is just a short ferry ride away from where I live.

I’ve found them very good to work when a issue comes up, even without going there in person.

Good luck with the fix for your reel.

SF

Cost of shipping would be on the high side from Ireland.

Hardy Ultra light CADD Glasgow Angling Center. I just picked up a 678. Wt for £148. They may have some silly deals on the 9/10.  This is normally a £320 plus reel.

Worth a look but you need to move fast. It’s machined aluminium but can’t speak for its salt water capabilities. 

Other suggestion is. Colton Terrapin. Ok bit outside your budget but an incredible value for money fly reel. Back up about as good as it gets. And you would not be needing to buy a replacement every year. Sale is now on.

Hate to say this but rinsing alone will not get the salt off.  We don’t just rinse our hands to get fish slime off them. Warm water and a tooth brush is way to go.

Mike

Thanks for all the helpful Suggestions Guys.

I did manage to free up the drag somewhat with a few drops of oil and the clicker now works, just waiting for the cir clip pliers to arrive so I can strip it fully, probably won't be pretty!

I think the cause of all this is the way I've been transporting it on the kayak but as I say it's been rinsed the same as all my fixed spools that even suffered full submersion during

a flip in the surf (I wasn't on board at the time) but none are showing signs of corrosion like the Redington.

One other question, what do you all think of the Airflo V2 9/10 ? I already have one but haven't used it much, buying a 2nd would make sense with regards to swapping spools etc...

P7161335.jpg

IMG_20201030_143454_383.jpg

Edited by WestCorkBass

On 12/30/2020 at 2:55 PM, Mike Oliver said:

Hardy Ultra light CADD . It’s machined aluminium 

I just saw those Hardy CADD last evening for 179 $ at one US seller. Very big diameter, machined from 6061 aluminum...very nice...Is the drag quite capable? Are they having exposed anti reverse roller bearing? 

20 mins ago, Mark Ham said:

I just saw those Hardy CADD last evening for 179 $ at one US seller. Very big diameter, machined from 6061 aluminum...very nice...Is the drag quite capable? Are they having exposed anti reverse roller bearing? 

Yes it definitely not sealed like the SDSL. Totally worth the extra money especially if fishing in salt water

39 mins ago, Mark Ham said:

Depends on how much drag you want. My opinion it’s enough for Stripers and you can also palm. Today I took delivery of the 678 thats  the 6000 model.

It matters not that it is unsealed as sealed reels leak sea water and sand and salt well the ones I have had.

But this reel does look more suited to fresh water. Not sold as salt water .

Interesting that it is been knocked out for small money in the USA as well. Not all U.K. shops are heavily discounting it.
All reels need properly looking after.

Mike