Ginzo2323

Mustad 34007-SS-DT O shaughnessy

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hello all I have a question I was looking at mustad 34007-SS-DT O'shaughnessy for my mold. It states on there site it’s 1x short. Can anyone explain how much shorter it is compared to standard size. I can not find actually length. Plus has anyone ever used this hook and is it strong. Thank you.

I think it is the standard shank length and the 340011(?) was the long shank. If i remember right it was the same length as the 3407. Not sure what size you are using. i used the smaller size 1 thru 4/0 for fly hooks. It is not a strong hook and bends easily. The 3407 is a much stronger hook but not stainless.  

34007 is a good hook in the biggest sizes. Really not my favorite hook because it doesn't sharpen well enough for my standards.  I've only used it in 8/0 and it's a very strong hook. For larger game fish i wouldn't consider anything smaller than 8/0, but that's just me- i'm nuts.  You'll need to use a bronze eyelet to make it work.

Edited by Fly By Nite

That what I did used a sinker eyelet to attach the hook. I pried the heck out of it to see if it would pull out. So far it held up. The bottom one is the 34184 from mustad. I wanted the bucktail to be shorter. But I got the wrong hook at the tackle shop it was 34091 it felt weak. That’s why I was inquiring about a 2x strong hook.

7B3F7CD6-8D6B-4FB8-9674-E6CA66D2E871.jpeg

There are no standards in the hook manufacturing industry.  There isn't even any standards from one hook style to another in the same manufacturers different product lines.

The Mustad #3407 is one of the most ubiquitous hooks available.  It's a good hook for a lot of applications.  The one you're asking about is the stainless steel version of the same hook.

Personally I never use stainless steel hooks.  They never rot or rust out.  If you have to put back or lose a fish with a stainless steel hook in it that fish will have that hook in it until it dies which may be a long miserable death because of the hook.