ermghoti

Great Moments in Party Boat Jackassery

Rate this topic

154 posts in this topic

They say there are three stages to seasickness:

1. You're afraid you might die.

2. You know you're going to die.

3. You're afraid that you might not die.

Posted (edited)

Well this wasn't on a head boat but just as funny......was fishin" with a buddy off a pier I believe it was in Devon Ct. ....so this older fella walks on to the pier with I guess his grandson.....the pier had a two line rail / railing that ran along both sides.....so Granpa rigs up, casts out his line and the kid naturally being board starts dancing around next to him....yup you got it.....kicks Granpas entire tackle box under the first rail and into the drink.....we couldn't help but laugh....Granpa calmly reeled in his line and they left.....made our day.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

1) Cod fishing in NH mid 80's on a party boat with friends. Loud obnoxious guy next to us. Knew everything about everything, just ask him. I hook a ghost fish....dead gill net fish. Cranking it up with the mate next to me and it gets to the surface. I ask him if he wants me to just shake it off. He says no gets the gaff and swings it aboard next to mr loud moth. Thing stinks like holy hell. Loud mouth turns green runs into the cabin and is never seen again.

2) Cod fishing off Chatham with Joe Zottoli in the Sue Z a 33ft Fortier. It's snotty. Cousin's husband is in the head before we hit Monomoy. We get to crab ledge and start jigging. All of a sudden I'm jigging and hurling at the same time.

3) Mackerel fishing on the half day boat out of Plum Island Ma. FAC. People were puking before we hit the jetties. We get out to Isle of Shoals, it is like a pond. People are recovering. Mate starts chumming ground sand eels. People start chumming their lunches. I think I still have a rod with mack scales stuck on it.

Stupid story involving yours truly, last month.

2 boats working under the same company at the same marina. One doing 6am trips and the other doing 730am trips, for the more casual crowd i guess. Both boats had been crushing it that week with tons of bass too large to keep. Booked a spot on the early boat, and brought a great new rig that would've horsed in any striper I hooked.

Realized i forgot my sunglasses in my car but we had a few minutes so i ran back to grab them. As I'm running back to the boat, i hear the horn through the morning fog and realized they had just left without me. I was in absolute shock that I'd done something so stupid.

Anyway, I spoke to the crew on the other boat, they laughed, said "that really sucks," and let me on theirs for the day. Even gave me a few free jigs because they felt bad. I got my rod off the first boat when we docked and the crew who helped me got some good tips.

Always remember your sunglasses.

10 mins ago, flyangler said:

@Otony - Man, that may be the worst I have ever heard anyone get it. Have you been out on boats since then? 

Yup, I’ve been out sailing many times since then, but never again on a party boat. No seasickness while sailing, but I believe that is because I’m busy with helping to actually sail, more in tune with how the boat is moving.

I’ve never tried fishing from a sailboat though...........

17 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Number 3 is gospel, right there......

22 mins ago, ermghoti said:

:point:

9 mins ago, Otony said:

Yup, I’ve been out sailing many times since then, but never again on a party boat. No seasickness while sailing, but I believe that is because I’m busy with helping to actually sail, more in tune with how the boat is moving.

I believe the smells on a party boat are a trigger for some people. Mix the smell of old chum with waves and....:upck:

9 mins ago, Otony said:

I’ve never tried fishing from a sailboat though...........

I did, once, "trolled" a swimming plug behind my FiL's sailboat while under sail. It was just the two of us, before the wedding, for a "get to know ya" weekend. Just moving along the Sound when the rod gets bent and the reel starts singing (clicker on, drag light). I, not a sailor, say to my sailor FiL, "Can we stop while I reel it in?" He says, while smirking, "Tom, you cannot stop a sailboat that is under way like this...". Poor bluefish comes aboard with his lower jaw torn loose and it worse for wear. I normally would have released it but he became dinner that night. 

3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

WTH is that?!?

I can't tell if its real or one of those fishing games I got for Christmas in the late 90s

I legitimately said the same thing.   Looks like he's got a nintendo strapped to the rod..

“Mix the smell of old chum with waves and....”

This isn’t really about party boats or seasickness, but I’m sure a few of you will be able to relate to the smell.

It was in my sophomore or maybe junior year of high school, and I went to friend’s house after classes. We are sitting in his bedroom, shooting the breeze when he pulls out a bota bag filled with rose wine. We start pouring that stuff down our throats and drain the bag, so he reaches under his desk and pulls out a gallon jug of the same stuff. He refills the bag (several times actually) and we proceed to drain it dry each time. I’m feeling fine, no problems, until I realize it’s time to get home. Stand up, and wham, hit the floor, my legs are rubber and all of a sudden, hey presto!, I’m drunk!

I realize there is no way I’m going to make it home under my own power, so my buddy has the bright idea of walking his bicycle to my house, him on one side and me on the other. We wobble our way to my street where he wisely abandons me before I get into my house. I roll inside and mutter something to my Mom about not feeling well, then proceed to worship the “throne” for awhile. Finally drop into bed exhausted. Mom and Dad must have known exactly what was up, but mercifully let me suffer in silence. They probably figured I was having enough of a lesson in life.

It was probably two years or more before I could even smell wine without starting to dry heave. Come to find out that we had pretty much killed most of that gallon jug between the two of us. I still can remember my stomach tightening up when I’d try to drink wine after that, lol!

59 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Stage 1 Grab bucket

Stage 2 Fill bucket

Stage 3 puke so hard you piss yourself

138_0191.JPG

138_0197.JPG

138_0208.JPG

Posted (edited)

Sort of a third-hand story. that was narrated by a party boat captain who watched things unwind, and described it right after it happened.

There was a good heave on the ocean south of Long Island.  We were supposed to take my boat out shark fishing, but given the big heave, and a weather report that said things would get worse in the afternoon, we ran out of Fire Island Inlet at the start of the incoming, figuring that we'd fish for fluke for a few hours, and get back inside before the tide turned and the outgoing made things dangerous.

Back then, the Captree party boat fleet uised VHF channel 67 to talk among themselves, and when I was fishing inshore, I'd listen in, mostly because it provided pretty good entertainment.  That day was no exception.

As I said, there was a heave on, with a good 4-foot swell out of the southwest, not spaced far appart, keeping the boat in constant motion.  We settled in off Gilgo Beach and started to drift and, between fish,  listened to the party boat captains.

The conversations were what you'd expect, with some talk of fish and a lot of comments poking fun at their customers, many of whom couldn't take the swell and were contributing their breakfasts to the ocean.  At least, those were the considerate ones.  The inconsiderate customers puked in the boats heads, where they generally missed the inside of the bowl, and painted the deck, bulkheads and everything else with a slurry coffee, chewed up scrambled eggs, masticated bacon, digestive juices and various other substances that had previously resided in their guts.

As described by the captain, one of the mates had just finished scrubbing down one of the heads, so that the next herd of customers could crawl back inside and befoul them once again.  He had barely finished up with his cleaning when one of the customers, who was more than a little green, puts down his rod and just about sprints to the newly-cleaned head. 

In the words of the captain (it's probably not a precise quote, but you get the idea).  "The mate sees this [Asian] guy run into the head, looking like about to puke.  He just cleaned the head and didn't want to do it again, so he rips open the door and yells at the [Asian], '.Not in there!  Over the side!  Over the side!'  So the [Asian] guy looks at him funny, but goes back to where his friends were, points out the mate, and says 'He say I have to s### over the side!'"

The boats don't use Channel 67 any more, having switched to cell phones or selective calling on the VHF; private boat fishermen around Fire Island have lost a major source of entertainment and insight into the party boat fishery as a result.

Edited by CWitek