Suave

Striper flies for a friend

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Tied a few striper flies for a friend in four of my favorite patterns. All on Mustad hooks, the first three on S71SNP either #1 or #1/0 and the last on S70S #2/0.

My sand eel pattern (based on Capt.Murphy's E-Z Sand Eel). About 3" long.20201227_115820.jpg.72501d159b00995baae75d92849627f0.jpgÀ two-feather (olive on yellow) Rhody Flatwing following the dressing given by Steve Culton for this fly. About 3.5" long.20201227_120255.jpg.a0b9cd1d963c9fa69c57eda471846011.jpgBFD's well-known and very good Betsie. About 3.5" long.20201227_120626.jpg.555e94ae65ea8a8e579b16b1ffd87590.jpgAnd my new favorite (had 90% of my  striper takes on this fly this last September), the modified Bart-O Minnow. Also tied a few in chartreuse/white.!About 4.5" long.20201227_120145.jpg.18d0f6c7f34237cf361aa3f22414179e.jpg 

17 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I'm impressed with your fly tying skills, choice of patterns and photography.

Thank you for your kind and too generous words. Tying skills? I've been tying for forty+ years, so lots of practice, and, besides taking lessons from a pro tyer initially, have always had how-to books to which I could refer when tying something requiring a new technique. And of course I want my flies to be fish catchers but I also want them to get more than a passing grade from experienced fly tyers.

Choice of patterns? My approach is the classic "match the hatch" I.e., applying that to stripers, identifying what food source are supposed to be present where I normally fish for stripers (Baie-des-Chaleurs, part of the Gulf of Saint-Lawrence) at the time I fish there and close inshore  as I only fish wading and I tie flies in patterns matching that. But at the end of the day, the stripers decide what will become my favorite patterns. So, like any other tyer who ties flies more as a hobby, I have a lot of other patterns sitting in my numerous fly boxes!

Photography? Thank you but I'm no expert (I don't even have a camera since I dunked the last one  (and of course myself) in saltwater a few years ago and forgot it in a wader pocket!) and I take the pictures of my fly with my Samsung tablet. 

Edited by Suave
Typo

3 hours ago, Suave said:

Thank you for your kind and too generous words. Tying skills? I've been tying for forty+ years, so lots of practice, and, besides taking lessons from a pro tyer initially, have always had how-to books to which I could refer when tying something requiring a new technique. And of course I want my flies to be fish catchers but I also want them to get more than a passing grade from experienced fly tyers.

Choice of patterns? My approach is the classic "match the hatch" I.e., applying that to stripers, identifying what food source are supposed to be present where I normally fish for stripers (Baie-des-Chaleurs, part of the Gulf of Saint-Lawrence) at the time I fish there and close inshore  as I only fish wading and I tie flies in patterns matching that. But at the end of the day, the stripers decide what will become my favorite patterns. So, like any other tyer who ties flies more as a hobby, I have a lot of other patterns sitting in my numerous fly boxes!

Photography? Thank you but I'm no expert (I don't even have a camera since I dunked the last one  (and of course myself) in saltwater a few years ago and forgot it in a wader pocket!) and I take the pictures of my fly with my Samsung tablet. 

Suave,

re: Baie-des-Chaleurs.     Does the province of NB require non resident fishermen to hire a guide to fish for Stripers on the coast ?      I know we did fishing for salmon on the Miramichi and the Cains.

HT

18 hours ago, HillTop said:

Suave,

re: Baie-des-Chaleurs.     Does the province of NB require non resident fishermen to hire a guide to fish for Stripers on the coast ?      I know we did fishing for salmon on the Miramichi and the Cains.

HT

No guide required there. Nor in coastal rivers as long as you fish  in their tidal waters (I think regulations define where tidal waters end for each river). But, I fish mostly on the Quebec side of the Baie-des-Chaleurs (south side of the Gaspé peninsula).

Edited by Suave
Typo

Thanks for sharing your work with us ,  my favorite also S71SNP either #1 or #1/0  mostly all my saltwater flies are for Florida ,Tampa Bay flats  ,As Bonefish Dick told me he used them = 34007 his " Betsy "  also Florida on Sanibel . 

Tying a few for another friend. Some of his favorite patterns. 

Jim Bernstein's Guitar Minnow followed by two Clouser Deep Minnows.20210418_144645.jpg.d951c6b25d35d79329fcc079679caa35.jpg20210418_145106.jpg.1fade8eb4fbb8bfe8b978e7fa2035596.jpg20210418_145357.jpg.adaf6fcb857ed0eafc4e088493fa8e4b.jpgAnd heasked for a few olive/white "modified" Beastmaster General (Jack Gartside). So 20210418_143721.jpg.e7195140609b6212f04b42de2483ff1a.jpgAnd I added a few of the same pattern but in different colors that I tied for myself to try out this coming summer (he also fishes in the Baie-des-Chaleurs). The first one (that I posted a few days ago in the Fly Fishing Forum) sort of tracks the color scheme of Bill Catherwood's Tinker Mackerel and the second one that of a Slab Fly tied and posted a while ago by Bait Tailer on the same Forum.20210418_144301.jpg.d2516aed1cbfdd5f4b94153c9da68388.jpg20210418_144008.jpg.32a7a6fe062749e76eb77cbe20980478.jpg 

15 hours ago, sardean said:

awesome.  how do you tie that Bart O minnow?

That fly is now (with all the changes I made to the original) loosely "based" on Bart Landwehr's Bart-O Minnow, a smallmouth bass fly. You will find a sbs for that fly by googling "Barteau Minneaux" (don't ask me why that spelling!) and a later video by Bart by googling "Bart Landwher's Bart-O Minnow".

As to how I tie it:

- hook: standard lenght saltwater hook. I use a Mustad C70S #2/0;

- thread: I use white 6/0 uni until I've tied in the throat and then fine mono;

- tail: tied between barb and point, about 2 1/2 to 3" long: white bucktail under 4 white ostrich herl under  4 gold Flashabou strands under 7-9 olive ostrich herls. In the original it's Icelandic Sheep hair instead of ostrich herls;

- throat (??) (not tied at the head of the fly as usual but at the tie-in point of the tail ): red rabbit hair about 1/2" long;

- under body/head: pearl crystal chenille wrapped from tail to just behind hook eye;

- body/head: white SF Flash Blend under and on the sides of the shank and olive Flash Blend under. From tie in point of tail to behind hook eye. About 4 pinches each color  tied hi-tie style and then the last pinch of each color tied hollow-tie (reverse-tie) style just behind the eye of the hook. With the first pinch of each color flowing back to about half the lenght of the tail and each subsequent pinch about half the lenght of the previous one. And, on each side of the shank to cover it , I add one sparse pinch of white blend at the midway point and the same with the hollow-tie at the front but these pinches are tied the standard way and not hi-tied or hollow-tied.

In the original, the body/head was initially made with Angel Hair using the loop-spin-wrap method;

but then Landwehr's switched to EP Sparkle brushes. But I wanted a dark back and light belly for this baitfish imitation and anyway I hate the loop-spin-wrap;

- eyes:3D molded, gold, 1/4". I use a drop of E6000 to glue them in and then cover them with Liquid Fusion.

The original also calls for a collar of white Ice Fur just after putting in the throat but with the rear of the Flash Blend body extending over the tail, this collar is superfluous.

I also tied this fly in chartreuse/white, chartreuse/yellow and gray/white (that's the color scheme of the original) but the olive/white was the first I tried and it worked so well that the others remained in my boxes! Hopefully I'll get around to try them this coming summer  

Have fun.   

40 mins ago, sardean said:

really cool.  Tied like a kinky muddler for the head kinda?

No, the Kinky Muddler body/head is v-tied. For the hi-tie, you take a pinch of material long enough so that when you lay it down lenghtwise on the hook shank where you want to tie it, the lenght extending to the rear  from the tie-in point reaches where you want it to reach and the lenght extending to the front is about two-thirds of that to the rear. You tie it down at that point and fold the front part over the rear part and tie it down with a few wraps of thread over the "fold".

Two things I forgot to mention. Don't crowd the pinches of material. Leave space between each as you would do for a Hollow Fleye. And of course use scissors and trim body/head of the fly to proper shape before putting in the eyes.

And it's not a fly to tie when you're in a hurry!

And, as my friend sometimes fishes for stripers at dusk or night, I thought an all-black pattern would be useful. I took my "inspiration" from Pete Gray's Black Lucy which he posted on SOL a few years ago (Fly Fishing Forum,  on "Striper Patterns for Night Fishing" of June 30, 2017). Not up to par with the original (the bucktail collars over the body gave me fits!) but it should swim allright  and get a few nibbles. On a Mustad S71SNP # 2/0 hook, about 6" long.20210425_110630.jpg.4e2ba63765eb7c2d8ba3bcb4e1e5cdcb.jpg

And with lot of time due to confinement, added a few more for the same friend while putting a few in my boxes. Based on  the Bucktail Deceiver with a few additions. In the Ray's Fly color scheme. On a Mustad C70S #2/0 hook, about 6" long.20210530_113329.jpg.2aa83317cc1ee45d13081c5fbec5f951.jpg