akozols

PFD knife recommendations

32 posts in this topic

Spyderco knives really can't be beat, imo. Have one in my plug bag. Bag gets soaked, have used to gut fish. Blade is corrosion- free and cuts like brand new. But there are alot of choices out there for sure.

Sadly it looks like the Gerber River Shorty is out of production again. The GEAR AID Akua Blunt Tip Paddle Knife seems to fit the same bill, clips to PFD, blunt blade for rescue ops. Cost effective at $30 in case it goes bye bye overboard.

819B7KIlBeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

3 hours ago, cheech said:

I recommend a leash or tether if you spend good money. Many a man has donated a knife to the ‘Davy :shaky: Jones’ fund.

I'm not fond of the idea of my emergency knife being leashed and potentially another entanglement that's attached to my body. It's an argument for a less expensive knife, however lovely that knife of your certainly is. If it were mine I'd have it leashed too. 

FWIW, with a good pair of heavy duty scissors I find I have no ordinary use for my knife. Scissors for line, squid, even bunker. I have them on a short coil leash with pool noodle buoy on the end. More than once I've had to chase it!

Have always just used whatever cheapo fixed blade I had laying around, mora's work well and are cheap 

But I'm going to be switching over to a pair of scissors next year, safer all around 

Only problem I might run into is cutting larger green crabs for toggibg in th fall

40 mins ago, gellfex said:

I'm not fond of the idea of my emergency knife being leashed and potentially another entanglement.

I'm from this school of thought as well....

I've had this wenoka squeeze lock titanium tanto tip knife for what  seems  like  forever..... 3" blade / 7" overall, mounted upside down & vertical, no leash.

20201227_161727.jpg.08527df13dea2af9c03541644829e766.jpg

I used it in an emergency one time when it lived on my surf belt, I no longer prefer a leashed knife after that night..

Got blown off my rock while surf casting fighting a significant fish in the dark, got wrapped up in the braid, felt pretty much out of control & I was now out,  away from the rock a bit so I sliced the line, had it leashed at that time but everything was wrapped up in the leash, wasn't what I'd call easily accessed, sorta made me nervous not being able to get it out easily, took longer than it should have, finally managed it but after that night, off came the leash.. 

3 hours ago, GrahamN said:

Have always just used whatever cheapo fixed blade I had laying around, mora's work well and are cheap 

But I'm going to be switching over to a pair of scissors next year, safer all around 

Only problem I might run into is cutting larger green crabs for toggibg in th fall

Big crabs are not a problem at all. They're not as tough as they think they are! Recent thread on scissors including my rec:

I have the Gerber CrossRiver Saltwater Fixed Blade.  Not recommended and here's why.  The knife is good quality....the sheath is not.  Issue is the sheath's clip is fragile.....broke mine when installing on my PDF and I don't break things EVER.  Gerber sent me another (not improved) which I got on it but it was 99% ready to snap off when I got it on.  I'm replacing the knife as I fear in a roll the sheath catches something and breaks leaving me without a knife.      

19 hours ago, gellfex said:

Sadly it looks like the Gerber River Shorty is out of production again. The GEAR AID Akua Blunt Tip Paddle Knife seems to fit the same bill, clips to PFD, blunt blade for rescue ops. Cost effective at $30 in case it goes bye bye overboard.

819B7KIlBeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Gerber started having major issues with the Shorty Sheath.  I sent mine back as the knife would fall out of the sheath when gently bumped.

41 mins ago, Frede said:

Gerber started having major issues with the Shorty Sheath.  I sent mine back as the knife would fall out of the sheath when gently bumped.

Did they change the design? I've had one for like 25 years and never had it fall out. 

5 mins ago, gellfex said:

Did they change the design? I've had one for like 25 years and never had it fall out. 

They definitely did because the one I had would never have lasted 25 years.  I was stupid enough to buy the Gerber CrossRiver Saltwater which also has a crap sheath that will certainly snap off my PFD if snagged.  This thread reminded me I need to get a real safety knife.  The Gear Aid one you posted looks good but there's complaints of it falling out and rusting.  I'm in the market again.