KironaFly

Speaking of Lefty Kreh's Legacy ....

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Flip Pallot has an amazing ability to convey simple but great truths on film.  What a great tribute to a superb human being.  Thanks for sharing Kirona.  

27 mins ago, bmac said:

Flip Pallot has an amazing ability to convey simple but great truths on film.  What a great tribute to a superb human being.  Thanks for sharing Kirona.  

Lessons with Lefty ... Falmouth Flats Fly Fishing show, National Guard Post gymnasium / classrooms, Fredericksburg Virginia, circa 2006

DSCN1065.jpeg.71892e0503d219ffa32e8ebf032b8396.jpeg

DSCN1067.jpeg.b2ce21c675687b5302a04e4fe176182c.jpeg

I met Lefty only once at an L.L. Bean fly fishing show. We talked fly fishing for stripers on the flats for maybe ten minutes. Quite the gentle man. 

Saw Lefty at a fishing show maybe 15 or 20 years ago.

He saw a young kid in the audience who had a new fly rod in his hands.

So, Lefty calls the kid over and asks if he can see the rod.

Apparently the rod was one which lefty endorsed or designed or something of that nature.

Lefty grabs a sharpie and autographs the grip of the rod which made the kid and his Dad both very happy.

Then the Dad says something about having to go buy another rod because he’s not going to let junior use an autographed rod.

Good stuff.

Lefty was a class act. 

Long ago I wrote Lefty a letter about an author that we both liked, Harry Middleton.  He replied with a long hand written letter that I still have.  Great guy and a treasure to the fly fishing world.

As a kid, first watched Lefty do a casting demonstration years ago at the Sportsman's Show held annually at the Hines Auditorium in Boston. Got a chance to meet him more recently in 2010 at TieFest at Kent Island Yacht Club in Chester MD. It was a well-attended event with Lefty, Bob Clouser, Bob Popovics, and others mixing with the people. Lefty did a casting demonstration on the lawn by the bay picking people from the crowd to be a part of it. He combined warmth, humor, respect, and gentle bluntness into his personality. Very approachable, many of us have learned much from him. Fond memories spring up whenever I hear his name.

1 min ago, South Shore Fly said:

As a kid, first watched Lefty do a casting demonstration years ago at the Sportsman's Show held annually at the Hines Auditorium in Boston. Got a chance to meet him more recently in 2010 at TieFest at Kent Island Yacht Club in Chester MD. It was a well-attended event with Lefty, Bob Clouser, Bob Popovics, and others mixing with the people. Lefty did a casting demonstration on the lawn by the bay picking people from the crowd to be a part of it. He combined warmth, humor, respect, and gentle bluntness into his personality. Very approachable, many of us have learned much from him. Fond memories spring up whenever I hear his name.

Yes indeed. I never did make it to the Kent Island gatherings even though they were within a 2 hour driving range. That gang of fly fishermen & tiers truly led and developed the sport .... gracefully.

Fantastic. What a kind, down to earth man God gave the fly fishing community to evolve this sport through. He was also a no BS guy who said it like it is.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I loved Lefty too.

We'd often talk at length at the Fly Fishing Shows.

Sometimes he would stroll the show in his younger days.

I told him, the only reason he stopped by my table and talked to me at length was because I had a pretty lady standing next to me.

He would laugh and give her a one line.  He's asked her, "Do you wear glasses?"  When she said, "No"

He quipped, "You order .... do you see whom your with?"

Edited by Capt.Castafly

On 1/22/2021 at 1:50 PM, KironaFly said:

Yes indeed.

Thanks for posting about a very good Teacher. Promotor. Friend. I met the man one day while fishing the Flat Brook in NJ. had no idea who he was since he was not that well known the time frame was mid 60s was just out of the Navy. I was some what new to the long pole and he noticed He approached Me and Father in a quite way with good Morning how you doing can I give you some pointers, He made no remarks about my Rod & Reel that was a hand me down No Name Brand with just line no backing and a Coachman tied on some leader. I now could Retrieve & Roll Cast. He moved on and left me to be Skunked but wiser. In time I moved to better Gear. I ran into him a few years latter & remembered each other. And Thanked him again.

We would meet again this time at a Show in NY where I invited him to be a Guest at a Local Fly Store in Red Bank NJ  to do his thing with a Kayak Fishing Club that I was a member Both of which are long gone. He arrived with a massive amount of Vises and STUFF spent 3 hours teaching another hour speaking. All on his Dime. we had 9 members there each dropped in a $20 as a Thankyou. I bought his Book 240 pages and he Signed it to me and My Son.  KironaFly  As my son has no interest and fear it will be lost and you brought up about Lefty so if you have interest in it we can make some sort of arrangements. Pm me. if not it is open to anyone who posted. 

Lefty 1.jpg

Lefty 2.jpg

lefty 3.jpg

Anyone who has been around the sport for over a decade likely met Lefty.  And, I'm not saying that because he was generic, I'm saying that because he was present and giving of his time and knowledge - in a friendly way.   I came to the conclusion a long time ago that Lefty's greatest strength was his people skills.  For that matter Bob Clouser, in his own way is a carbon copy.  Both men have a fantastic knowledge and skill base that they  freely gave to those who came to listen, Bob, fortunately, still does.  In all walks of life there are experts and fly fishing has more that its fair share.  You will have to look far and wide to find an expert who spent more time than those two individuals have giving back to the community.  I have been fortunate enough to spend time with both of these men and I am a better angler and person for it.