jerseystriper

New Jan 1 regs on hooks

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Regs started Dec 1 here in CT.  

I'm havin a ton of variance in size between manufacturers.   Eagle Claw 4/0 & VMC size 1 (not 1/0) are the same size! 

I should post pics.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

4 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Regs started Dec 1 here in CT.  

I'm havin a ton of variance in size between manufacturers.   Eagle Claw 4/0 & VMC size 1 (not 1/0) are the same size! 

I should post pics.  

Thats one weird thing about circle hooks. Sizes are not standardized among manufacturers. Look before u buy.

7 mins ago, bdowning said:

Thats one weird thing about circle hooks. Sizes are not standardized among manufacturers. Look before u buy.

I'm used to a little variance with Js. But this blew my mind!

90% of my shopping is done online. 

....always fish in-line circles when fishing eels.....the toenail keeps the eel from freeing himself most of the time....no problem.....but you won't be Crossin' Their Eyes for now.

I think more fluke are killed from gut hooks than stripers and it's not even close, but I always use circle hooks. I actually was told the only time not to use them was when using eels so that is interesting.

I might get flamed for this, but if you know how to fish and pay attention to your line, there's no need for circle hooks. They take the fun out of fishing. Trying to set the hook makes the difference in a fish getting away and getting caught. Problem is, there are too many people out there that don't have a clue what they are doing. I never dead stick fluke from my boat, and never gut hooked a fluke. Striped Bass either get caught by lip or get away. They get away anyway, since I'm strictly catch and release with Bass.

Edited by fdhog

So then serious question, is a rigged eel going to be considered a “bait” because it’s gonna be pretty tough to hook a bass on a riggie if you can’t set the hook. Common sense would dictate to me something being actively fished like a lure isn’t gonna gut hook fish. 

21 hours ago, fdhog said:

I might get flamed for this, but if you know how to fish and pay attention to your line, there's no need for circle hooks. They take the fun out of fishing. Trying to set the hook makes the difference in a fish getting away and getting caught. Problem is, there are too many people out there that don't have a clue what they are doing. I never dead stick fluke from my boat, and never gut hooked a fluke. Striped Bass either get caught by lip or get away. They get away anyway, since I'm strictly catch and release with Bass.

I only fish bucktails for fluke and you never gut hook them that way, but dragging bait on a regular hook results in a ton of gut hooks on fluke.

Anyways, I like circle hooks. Allows me to fish 3 rods with bait with the bait runner set and never have to worry about missing a hookup. Better for the fish ultimately too anyway. Probably miss some hookups as a result but it is what it is. 

If you're fishing an eel, it's going to be considered bait I am sure.