t_man7

Habs Info

15 posts in this topic

Hello SOL, I am looking for any info on what went into making a Habs.  Paint, clear coat, sealing method, primer as well as how it is applied, etc.  any info on the building process or the techniques and method that went into it would be helpful.  Thank you

-Tommy

2902EDC6-200C-40AF-944D-BDBB3BE3E1A9.jpeg

Not sure how much you've used the search engine looking up info. My guess is alot from you resurrecting old posts. I only meet the man twice. There's a handful of guys on sol that were friends of John's. Maybe someone will chime in. 

I was told he was using real deal auto paint. Also heard he attributed it to his cancer.

On 12/24/2020 at 5:18 PM, Haycreekrambler said:

Not sure how much you've used the search engine looking up info. My guess is alot from you resurrecting old posts. I only meet the man twice. There's a handful of guys on sol that were friends of John's. Maybe someone will chime in. 

I was told he was using real deal auto paint. Also heard he attributed it to his cancer.

Thanks for the response, I’ve been looking up every possible thing related to Habs for a while.  I’m not only using the search engine on SOL either.  I’ve been checking many striper surf fishing and plug building websites * and a couple others.

Not much luck finding anything anywhere.

I heard that John kept most of his plug building secrets to himself.  Rumor has it that he used unlabeled cans.  

I believe John also didn’t have the best ventilation in the habatory, that may also have been adding to the toxicity level of the things he used.  In the photo I posted it also looks like he didn’t use a respirator or any sort of mask to protect his lungs.

Edited by TimS
we don't discuss other sites here

You should try and track down Mike Dauphin from Tattoo , he basically was John’s apprentice before he became a journey man plug builder in his own right. 

Yep - contact me after the holidays and I’ll try and put you in contact with Mike Dauphin who is a friend of mine .  They collaborated for years.

16 hours ago, connman said:

You should try and track down Mike Dauphin from Tattoo , he basically was John’s apprentice before he became a journey man plug builder in his own right. 

16 hours ago, DZ said:

Yep - contact me after the holidays and I’ll try and put you in contact with Mike Dauphin who is a friend of mine .  They collaborated for years.

His metal lipped swam with incredible action.

13 mins ago, connman said:

Notice any similarities between Habs and Tattoo

82AF802D-8404-4517-827E-4BCA1B532AD0.jpeg

Yes there’s a lot of similarities, bottom Habs squid top tattoo jr.  Tattoo did promise Habs that he would never make a needlefish though.  

On 12/24/2020 at 6:10 PM, DZ said:

Hey Den, I got Mikes number through some FB sales today. 

57 mins ago, DZ said:

Awesome - tell Mike I said hello and that I suggested you call him.

Will do, im going to pick the stuff up in person.