BrianBM

Circle hook, new (?) news

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

This is a semi-duplicate of something I just posted in the Main Forum. The edition of The Fisherman that I get is the NY/LI edition, but this probably appears in the NE edition too. Does this correctly describe the new regulation?

Note the phrase I underlined.

" ... when targeting striped bass with any kind of live or dead natural bait effective January 1, 2021. No exemptions were made for gear type or user groups and therefore this regulation includes shore-bound, private boat and anglers onboard for-hire vessels.

With no gear type exemptions allowed, the new circle hook requirement in place for 2021 includes but is not limited to such angling techniques as a tube and worm; eelskin rig; rigged eel; the addition of pork rind, squid, etc., to a bucktail jig; and any and all other scenarios where a natural bait is added to an artificial lure when targeting striped bass."

There had been a lot of discussion of tube and worm rigs in this context. Take note, if the Fisherman quotation is correct, it's covered. More of a surprise (at least to me) is that pork rind is covered. So much for my diligent husbanding of pork rind.  The itty bitty rinds I'll have to fish for fluke, which isn't much of a problem, but I've never seen a striped bass jig made with a circle hook, so no pork for them. (I still have some big pork strips left over from the SOL store, many years ago.) Has anybody seen a bassworthy jig with a circle hook?  I haven't ... but what about Fat Cow strips? Are they made of an animal-organic material? Anyway, between Gulp! and the multitude of soft plastics on the market, this isn't really a problem IMHO.

Rigged eels ... well, what's in the basement freezer is kinda old anyway. Those Siwash hooks will just have to go. Time to try rigging plastic eels with circles.

Jig makers, time to get busy. I suggest jigs with a free-swinging hook, separated from the lead by one or two links of chain.

Just found some verbiage in the DMF FAQ on the 2020 regulation changes that indicates additional changes might be need to be made in 2021. Would be interesting to see new lures on the market that align to the new regulations. 

MA had the circle hook requirement in 2020. The work around I saw people using was “I am fishing for bluefish”. 

It was nice to see the EPO checking people though. 

12 hours ago, MJOS617 said:

Just found some verbiage in the DMF FAQ on the 2020 regulation changes that indicates additional changes might be need to be made in 2021. Would be interesting to see new lures on the market that align to the new regulations. 

AFAIK the rule is to apply to the use of natural bait, not lures.  That said, there is no reason not to expect a rule for circle hooks, down the line, on jigs and plugs. A couple of possibilities come to mind. First, would a circle hook work as an assist hook? Worth a try on a Vi-Ke or other cod or deepwater jig. Second, what about a dressed circle hook behind a plug? I think you'd want a bit of cord, a "junior assist hook" arrangement, to separate the circle from the body of the plug. That might suffice for a rear hook, which we usually fish as a single hook (rather than treble anyway). Replacing a forward or middle treble, I dunno, especially on those plugs that have two trebles in the first place.

29 mins ago, BrianBM said:

AFAIK the rule is to apply to the use of natural bait, not lures.  That said, there is no reason not to expect a rule for circle hooks, down the line, on jigs and plugs. A couple of possibilities come to mind. First, would a circle hook work as an assist hook? Worth a try on a Vi-Ke or other cod or deepwater jig. Second, what about a dressed circle hook behind a plug? I think you'd want a bit of cord, a "junior assist hook" arrangement, to separate the circle from the body of the plug. That might suffice for a rear hook, which we usually fish as a single hook (rather than treble anyway). Replacing a forward or middle treble, I dunno, especially on those plugs that have two trebles in the first place.

The obvious lack of common sense or any understanding of the fishery demonstrated in the current circle hook regulation makes me concerned that they may in fact make a move to require circle hooks on plugs somewhere down the road.

1 hour ago, ged said:

MA had the circle hook requirement in 2020. The work around I saw people using was “I am fishing for bluefish”. 

It was nice to see the EPO checking people though. 

Was the EPO specifically checking in regards to circle hooks?

Did the blue fish excuse work?

1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

Was the EPO specifically checking in regards to circle hooks?

Did the blue fish excuse work?

Yes, and sadly yes 

On 12/26/2020 at 7:05 AM, MJOS617 said:

This sounds ominous. Imagine a circle hook requirement on plugs and jigs. :laugh: Compliance would be close to nil.

41 mins ago, bdowning said:

This sounds ominous. Imagine a circle hook requirement on plugs and jigs. :laugh: Compliance would be close to nil.

would a circle hook requirement on plugs mean single circle hooks instead of trebles, or treble circle hooks ??...

Think of an assist hook arrangement with a short snell, just an inch. Easy enough as a tail hook replacement. harder to design as a replacement for a treble in the forward part of the plug. The biggest complications would be in reworking plugs made for two trebles and a tail hook; you'd probably want your circle hook on the forward-most swivel, but you might have to crimp a split shot to the second treble to maintain the balance of weight and hook drag needed for optimal swimming action.

23 hours ago, BrianBM said:

The pork rind prohibition is from a NY regulation, so unless Mass already has a regulation defining pork rind as "bait," as NY does, it wouldn't matter.  Thanks to @CWitek for pointing that out.

Almost all states classify pork rind as "bait" in the fresh water regs. Many states are simply extending that definition of "bait" to the circle hook requirements set by the ASMFC.

6 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Almost all states classify pork rind as "bait" in the fresh water regs. Many states are simply extending that definition of "bait" to the circle hook requirements set by the ASMFC.

My dream of operating a saltwater pig farm has been crushed.  Salt-Life. 

5 hours ago, hobobob said:

My dream of operating a saltwater pig farm has been crushed.  Salt-Life. 

LOL.

As for how pork rind is classified ... live and learn.

As for those huge rinds in my basement from years ago, when SOL had an online store, I'll just have to fish them on a circle hook behind a sinker, in a 3-way arrangement.