BrianBM

Circle hook, again.

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

From The Fisherman, which fell out of the mail today, comes the following on the new circle hook reg. Note the phrase I underlined.

" ... when targeting striped bass with any kind of live or dead natural bait effective January 1, 2021. No exemptions were made for gear type or user groups and therefore this regulation includes shore-bound, private boat and anglers onboard for-hire vessels.

With no gear type exemptions allowed, the new circle hook requirement in place for 2021 includes but is not limited to such angling techniques as a tube and worm; eelskin rig; rigged eel; the addition of pork rind, squid, etc., to a bucktail jig; and any and all other scenarios where a natural bait is added to an artificial lure when targeting striped bass."

There had been a lot of discussion of tube and worm rigs in this context. Take note, if the Fisherman column is correct, it's covered. More of a surprise (at least to me) is that pork rind is covered. So much for my diligent husbanding of pork rind.  The itty bitty ones I'll have to fish for fluke, which isn't much of a problem, but I've never seen a striped bass jig made with a circle hook, so no pork for them. (I still have some big pork strips left over from the SOL store, many years ago.) Has anybody seen a bassworthy jig with a circle hook?  I haven't ... but what about Fat Cow strips? Are they made of an animal-organic material? I don't think I've used them yet. Anyway, between Gulp! and the multitude of soft plastics on the market, this isn't really a problem IMHO.

Rigged eels ... well, what's in the basement freezer is kinda old anyway. Those Siwash hooks will just have to go. Time to try rigging plastic eels with circles. I have a few huge circles that I found at J&H years ago, with a wire so damn heavy you could use them for sharking; that's a point of departure.

Jig makers, time to get busy. I suggest jigs with a free-swinging hook, separated from the lead by one or two links of chain.

4 mins ago, BrianBM said:

From The Fisherman, which fell out of the mail today, comes the following on the new circle hook reg. Note the phrase I underlined.

" ... when targeting striped bass with any kind of live or dead natural bait effective January 1, 2021. No exemptions were made for gear type or user groups and therefore this regulation includes shore-bound, private boat and anglers onboard for-hire vessels.

With no gear type exemptions allowed, the new circle hook requirement in place for 2021 includes but is not limited to such angling techniques as a tube and worm; eelskin rig; rigged eel; the addition of pork rind, squid, etc., to a bucktail jig; and any and all other scenarios where a natural bait is added to an artificial lure when targeting striped bass."

There had been a lot of discussion of tube and worm rigs in this context. Take note, if the Fisherman column is correct, it's covered. More of a surprise (at least to me) is that pork rind is covered. So much for my diligent husbanding of pork rind.  The itty bitty ones I'll have to fish for fluke, which isn't much of a problem, but I've never seen a striped bass jig made with a circle hook, so no pork for them. (I still have some big pork strips left over from the SOL store, many years ago.) Has anybody seen a bassworthy jig with a circle hook?  I haven't ... but what about Fat Cow strips? Are they made of an animal-organic material? I don't think I've used them yet. Anyway, between Gulp! and the multitude of soft plastics on the market, this isn't really a problem IMHO.

Rigged eels ... well, what's in the basement freezer is kinda old anyway. Those Siwash hooks will just have to go. Time to try rigging plastic eels with circles. I have a few huge circles that I found at J&H years ago, with a wire so damn heavy you could use them for sharking; that's a point of departure.

Jig makers, time to get busy. I suggest jigs with a free-swinging hook, separated from the lead by one or two links of chain.

Hopefully commen sense comes in to play.

You may tip a jig with "bait" in the form of a pork rind, but the nature of how you fish it is active.  

A fish hitting a moving jig isn't going to get "gut hooked" like one feeding on a piece of clam laying on the bottom on a fish finder.

Not sure why there is no exemption. I'm 52 years old and have never seen a striper gut hooked with a J hook on a jig or lure. Seen treble hooks do some major damage to a fish's throat, but never a J hook. Chunking with bait or eeling, then definitely a circle hook. 

Edited by Fishtale7

Per this regulation, if you're fishing for stripers with a jig, and you add pork, the jig better have a circle hook. Nobody's going to get cited in 2021, your local fish and game LEO will grow weary explaining the reg to casual anglers, but if the angler gets mouthy, he might talk his way into a ticket. 2022? You're supposed to know the law, sir.

MI'm going with rubber on my BT jigs. Swim shads, worms, etc.  

One thing I've noticed with circle hooks themselves is the inconsistency in sizes.  

I've got size 1 from VMC and 4/0 from Eagle Claw and they're exactly the same size. 

...but I've never seen a striped bass jig made with a circle hook, so no...

13 hours ago, Fishtale7 said:

Not sure why there is no exemption. I'm 52 years old and have never seen a striper gut hooked with a J hook on a jig or lure. Seen treble hooks do some major damage to a fish's throat, but never a J hook. Chunking with bait or eeling, then definitely a circle hook. 

@Dan Tinman , this is a great opportunity for you.

This whole idea of pork rind being considered bait is stupid.  If it can be kept for long periods of time with no refrigeration it's not bait, it's an artificial.

Redesigning my line of bucktails to accommodate a stupid rule that will probably be met with so much resistance it'll be excepted doesn't make sense.  I've seen a few bucktails made with circle hooks and always wondered why.  Circle hooks are made to be used with a still fished bait, not a moving lure.  As far as making swing hook bucktails I already do.  Limited head styles as of now but you never know.

This whole subject is a classic case of the rule writers not thinking enough about what they're proposing.  Even rigged eels should not have to be rigged with circle hooks.  Those aren't still fished, they're moving.

Edited by Dan Tinman

2 hours ago, Fishtale7 said:

This has been discussed for months in the regional forums. There are no exemptions in order to eliminate loophole hunting. It was deemed more important to streamline enforcement than follow any logical benefit. If you remember the various tarpon in/out of water debates, the benefit is obvious, even if it's annoying.

14 mins ago, ermghoti said:

This has been discussed for months in the regional forums. There are no exemptions in order to eliminate loophole hunting. It was deemed more important to streamline enforcement than follow any logical benefit. If you remember the various tarpon in/out of water debates, the benefit is obvious, even if it's annoying.

Government at it's best, enact something that makes no sense, with no forethought or ramifications to the end user.

20 mins ago, Fishtale7 said:

Government at it's best, enact something that makes no sense, with no forethought or ramifications to the end user.

But the other side of the coin is a law so specific it's easy to end run. We get lots of those too.  It's one reason there's so many SUV's on the road, the made environmental laws that affected cars but not light trucks, so everyone started making more vehicles that could plausibly be light trucks.  I could totally see that if they loopholed bucktails some wiseguys would be bottom fishing with a chunk on 1/2 oz bucktails on a weighted fishfinder rig.  Aren't things like Otter Tails pretty good replacement for pork?

9 hours ago, ne_dan said:

Just fishing for bluefish officer.

And rig everything with wire leader... But it is just as easy to just to follow all the rules and regulations.. For the past number of years I have been fishing circle hooks with crushed barbs for different types of fish..

Putting the "wisdom" of the circle hook requirement for trolling anything with natural bait aside, is anyone selling Tube&Worm rigs with circle hooks yet?  Gulp! works, but nothing seems to beat a real worm.

This bizarre pork rind decision is all you need to know as to why the entire striped bass management is such a failure.  It’s like the board has no clue.