zcoker

What was the first fish that you ever caught?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

First fish... my dad took me to the lake across the street from our house on fathers days, I was 3 years old, landed a dink largemouth. 

First striper I was 7 years old. My grandfather had recently passed and my dad gave strict instructions that I was not to use his rods. Well, one day after school I took one of my grandfathers rods, begged my mom to drive me to a local canal here in NJ, direct tied on a black bucktail using about a dozen overhand knots, and put a purple jelly worm on the back of the bucktail. I just dropped it down and walked the wall of the canal back and forth jigging it. Suddenly I was tight. Fight of a lifetime for a kid. I put the 7’ rod between my legs and cranked away holding on for dear life, my mom had to help me get it over the fence and landed myself a nice 22” striper middle of the day. I was trembling, couldn’t believe it. Later that day we went to get my dad from the train station and I was so scared to tell him that I used the forbidden rod/reel but man was he so happy I got that striper. Nothing but smiles. I used that rod for many years to come. I still have it but it’s been long retired and inducted in the hall of fame safely tucked away in the attic. 

Sunfish, on those little marshmallow baits with a bobber at a little cranberry bog reservoir.  

Made sure my daughter's was more eventful. Only 4 so she may not remember, but she caught a nice little rainbow trout. 

That’s an absolutely incredible story, Z! Amazing indeed! 

Growing up my parents weren’t outdoorsy people. In fact, to this day, my dad won’t even touch a fish. My fishing addiction began with my grandpa. He lives in central Florida and he used to take us to Lake Griffin to catch as many bluegills as we wanted. Not sure if my first fish came from there or not, but I’m pretty confident it came from somewhere in central Florida. My grandpa owns about 5 rods, all of them Zebco or Shakespeare spincasters. It’s all he needs, and it’s made me a firm believer that the skill and grit of an angler makes them a great sportsman, not the gear. 

Fast forward about 12 years (a couple years ago). I was getting ready to see my grandparents when we stopped at my aunt and uncles house in lake city. They have 3 kids, all boys. They never really had an opportunity to go fishing. So while I’m there, I look over and see their neighbors property with a beautiful spring fed pond on it. I asked my uncle about it and he said that the guy said they could hang out or fish there anytime they wanted. I had my fishing equipment in the car and I figured why not? The middle son asked if he could go with me. I BELIEVE this was his first time fishing, although again I’m not sure. But I’m pretty sure he mentioned it was. So we meander down to the lake and get him setup with a bobber rig and some bread. Flash forward 10 minutes and he’s starting to get frustrated that he’s not catching anything. Next thing I know he pulls out a huge shellcracker! Had to be close to a pound. That made his day and he didn’t stop fishing until his parents made him. Needless to say after that he’s been obsessed with fishing and he and his brothers catch larger, bigger bass then I do. 

Don’t quite remember my first fish, but I’m sure it was some kind of sunfish I was very very young at the time. 

My first salt water fish is a fun story. My father had woken me up very early in the morning because I kept asking him to bring me surf fishing. I must of been around 10-11yrs old. Down to the beach we went. It was dead low tide and he proceeded to wade out around 20 yards or so. I stayed back a bit in around 10” of water. After casting and not catching anything but seaweed I returned the rod to shore and started wading out towards my dad. At this point the sun was just starting to rise. On my way out to him I kept seeing small reddish fish in the water lazily swimming around me. With patience and very slow movements I “caught” one of these baby sea robins with my two cupped hands and proclaimed “dad I caught a fish, I caught a fish”. My dad was like what are you talking about your not even holding a rod. I said come here and look. He said “holy sh** I though you were making things up, how did you do that?”

and that was the first fish I “caught”

Edited by Domjolly

I was on a road trip with my parents, and we visited one of my fathers friends, an avid fly fisherman, in Salt Lake and drove up to Yellowstone.  We weren't really fishing, mostly just camping and hiking.  My dad's friend woke me up in my tent one morning very very early, everybody else was asleep.  He said "psst.  wake up.  come with me."  I got out of my sleeping bag and we crept down to the edge of Yellowstone Lake and he handed me a rod.  He said "you see that big ole trout out there?!" and sure enough a big trout was cruising the bank in plain sight.  He said "toss this fly out right in front of him, right now."  I managed to execute.  I placed that fly right in front of this fish, and BAM it hit that fly and I reeled in my first trout ever.  I am almost positive it was a rainbow but I don't know for sure.  I may have caught a few panfish earlier than this, but that's my "first fish" memory and the one that got me "hooked."  

I don't remember the first fish I caught, but the first time I went fishing I was 5 years old. My aunt and uncle bought me a Zebco pole for my birthday, so my uncle and older cousin took me fishing a few weeks later in Shark River. It was March, it was cold, I didn't catch anything, but my cousin caught a flounder. First fish was probably a killie on that Zebco pole, we used to fish for them with worms in Wreck Pond (hope this isn;t a spot burn, lol). My Dad was not a fisherman, but I was hooked. Years later I still get out every chance I have.

Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester. White perch off the Regatta point dock. The schools would come by and I'd catch a bunch then a lull then action again. Fun times. I think of that whenever I drive by there.

My boys first fish were bluegills at a public small pond behind an elementary school. City used to mow around it. No trees to catch on the cast.

Winter flounder in the bay, my dad bought our 1st boat back in 61 slip 5 Belmar. The not so funny part was my sister was getting  bored and sick laid down,  so the old man took a nice one and put it on her hook, woke her and said to real in her fish, naturally it was gone and she was mad. 

Around this time of year. I saw a bright orange carp swimming near the edge of Cobbs Creek. Pinned it down in the stones of a sand bar and carried it home.

Not my first fish-but 1st striper- caught that by hand also in the C&D canal. A barge flooded the bank flats when we were collecting fossils. 16". Let it go after I showed my dad & brothers.

All other fish were by net or rod & reel. ( with one exception)

10yrs old was supposed to go on grandpas boat for the first time after moving to Florida. It was too rough so we went to a park on the bay. Waded out knee deep and threw out a trolling straw rig for mackerel baited up with squid. First fish was a decent redfish on light ish tackle