H'Islander

AYC Score?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I found a lumber yard that used to stock AYC but now only does special ordering for it.  6 weeks ago when I decided to jump back into building plugs I saw that they had 14, 4x4 clear posts.  (He also had some 20 ft. long 6" 5/4 decking, but not clear, AYC)  The retail price for the posts was $11.00/ linear ft.  I did a cash deal and bought 2 sticks for $8.25 per lf, or $140 after tax.  The deal was...'meh.  I used those to dust off my plugging cobwebs.  I went back yesterday and cut a deal for the remaining 12, plus 2, 20 ft 5/4 boards (which I had them cut down to manageable 5 ft boards) .  In the end he threw in 2 more 8 ft 5/4 sticks.  So in total. I got 96 linear ft of 4x4 clear posts and 56 linear ft of 5/4 decking for $700 cash.  I'm wondering how that compares to deals from places like Liberty Cedar in RI?AYC1.jpg.cfd1990ba1ce4c632ec2a0d8a83e34bc.jpgAYC2.jpg.d337e4c92091ca79d0bb4fe6cfd35412.jpg

15 mins ago, swirlchaser said:

Tough to say, neither of those size stocks fit my build profiles. Spindles are much cheaper if they fit your turning dimensions. 

What are you paying for spindles?

AYC3.JPG.957f3d1f7699e58a411dedf6bf76282c.JPGI'm assuming this quote is for a linear ft for each size.  Looks like 2x2 balusters (spindles) from Liberty are cheaper than what I paid for the 4x4 posts, and I still have to rip them down. 

The 5/4 boards are good for needles and smaller plugs for sweet water.  

Edited by H'Islander

21 hours ago, Punch63 said:

Steel, you need to start building more.

Haha. No I need to finish more stuff. There’s plenty of things built in my cellar. Finishing to completion is a whole other story. I save those 2 by’s for larger stuff. I have gone thru 100’s of balusters since then. 

Edited by Steel Pulse

ayc is much like bass wood little to no hard grain with soft in between...unless you get no.2 stuff....mills like a dream...insects don't like it....because of the natural sealers/pitch in it...doesn't rot ...I believe they used in making totem poles because of it's ease of carving...holds an edge well...drills well....etc....smells good too.