ZATsol

Orvis PowerMatrix 10 - what line to use?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Got this as a present recently - see pictures below.

I never used double handed rods before.

So, I'm not sure what line to put on it.

What grain, taper, etc.

I'm not even sure where to use it.

Mostly fishing for trout in local small creeks with regular 4 weight.

And steelhead fishing with 8 weight. But there is no room to cast this double handed 10 weight.

I guess I can use it on vacation for blue fish and stripers in Atlantic Ocean.

But I need to learn new type of casting. Looking forward to new adventure!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I'm guessing that this is a rod that has been used - a gift from someone who no longer wants it?

My first fly rod, bought in 1994, was an Orvis Power Matrix 9'0" #9.

I don't know when Orvis stopped making the Power Matrix, but the last I saw was around 2006.  So, it's old technology - if I am correct re its vintage.

I also didn't know they made it in a 2 handed version.

If the vintage is around the early 2000's - they didn't make beach rods - So in all likelihood it is a Spey rod - and not the best at overhead casting.

I would not assume that it needs a #10 line to load it - especially if you are going to attempt using it in the N.E. for Blues and Stripers.

I would take it to an Orvis shop and see what they say re a line.

You don't say how long it is?????

Age???

Herb

Edited by HL

On 2020-12-22 at 2:29 PM, ZATsol said:

Got this as a present recently - see pictures below.

I. 

No pictures. I just saw one posted for sale: a 14' 10w Spey rod in  three pieces as well as a reference to the same rod on a Spey blog and the writer was trying to fingers out what line to put on it and there was no response! It must be a fairly heavy rod. As recommended, your best bet to know more is an Orvis Shop or call Orvis head office, I think in Manchester.. And a longtime ago I had a PM 10 9' 8w (two pieces) and loved it. 

23 hours ago, Suave said:

No pictures. I just saw one posted for sale: a 14' 10w Spey rod in  three pieces as well as a reference to the same rod on a Spey blog and the writer was trying to fingers out what line to put on it and there was no response! It must be a fairly heavy rod. As recommended, your best bet to know more is an Orvis Shop or call Orvis head office, I think in Manchester.. And a longtime ago I had a PM 10 9' 8w (two pieces) and loved it. 

Google Orvis Customer Service Tel. Number.

Last Monday I needed a schematic for a 20 year old Orvis “Turbine IV 10 wt reel drag system”

AKA  “Orvis Rocky Mountain Reel”

They emailed it to me the next day!

Yes Oly, I botched the surgery on that Fishing the Cape going out of business Spring Sale deal.

This the reel I paid $60 and five extra spools at $5.00 each  including 85 yards of backing for  all 6 spools!  

Merry Christmas. RJ

Edited by RJ

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 11:14 AM, HL said:

Hi,

I'm guessing that this is a rod that has been used - a gift from someone who no longer wants it?

My first fly rod, bought in 1994, was an Orvis Power Matrix 9'0" #9.

I don't know when Orvis stopped making the Power Matrix, but the last I saw was around 2006.  So, it's old technology - if I am correct re its vintage.

I also didn't know they made it in a 2 handed version.

If the vintage is around the early 2000's - they didn't make beach rods - So in all likelihood it is a Spey rod - and not the best at overhead casting.

I would not assume that it needs a #10 line to load it - especially if you are going to attempt using it in the N.E. for Blues and Stripers.

I would take it to an Orvis shop and see what they say re a line.

You don't say how long it is?????

Age???

Herb

Still got my 9' 9wt PM10 bought in 97.It sits in it's tube above my head in the shop.Hasn't seen water in many years.