Oso

American Eel Pop Lip

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I’m curious if anyone has done an American eel PopLip? I want to tie some for the spring eel migration but am torn between what materials to use/if I should tie it beast style (mono extension) or gamechanger style on micro shanks. 

anyone have experience in this or can you point me in the right direction? I’ve watched videos on pop-lips, but am hesitant to dive in.

Save yourself the trouble of a beast or game changer and buy David Nelson’s Squimpish hair, it comes in some very eel-like colors, is easy to work with, and moves well in the water while shedding water incredibly well. Use a few well tapered ties of it either regularly tied or hollow for a little bulk on a stout short shanked hook, maybe an SL12s or Ahrex’s SA270 in a size 5/0 and up. Eels are pretty thin compared to a bunker or another imitation that would require a beast. Then for a head, use some sheep’s fleece, spin it on there, and craft the lip and it should work fine. You’ll need to fine tune the lip and I suggest swimming the fly before you make any damning adjustments. 

I believe Johnny King has tied similar flies but without a lip that you could reference. 

6 mins ago, Ftyer said:

Save yourself the trouble of a beast or game changer and buy David Nelson’s Squimpish hair, it comes in some very eel-like colors, is easy to work with, and moves well in the water while shedding water incredibly well. Use a few well tapered ties of it either regularly tied or hollow for a little bulk on a stout short shanked hook, maybe an SL12s or Ahrex’s SA270 in a size 5/0 and up. Eels are pretty thin compared to a bunker or another imitation that would require a beast. Then for a head, use some sheep’s fleece, spin it on there, and craft the lip and it should work fine. You’ll need to fine tune the lip and I suggest swimming the fly before you make any damning adjustments. 

I believe Johnny King has tied similar flies but without a lip that you could reference. 

Thanks! I will look into this and update. I appreciate the help

I've tried different home made lips and sizes on long eel type flies. What I found is the longer the tail, the more it will

absorb the wave energy from the head. I tied some that were too long and dense and only the head vibrated if it did at all.

The tail was motionless. To compensate I would have needed a bigger lip which would have been too difficult to cast.

I have tied some with one fairly thin long flatwing stye saddle and it works pretty well at longer lengths. That's an instance where the tail is light enough and less water resistant it will still generate a wave through the whole fly.

This is an Instagram tier that I follow. He uses bucktail/ep and hackle. This fly is 12” and looks like it swims rather well.  A few 25mm shanks and I’ll be good to go lol. I have until the spring to play with it so we will see. 

I did just buy squimpish fibers as well as some strung fuzzy fiber so I’m all ready to experiment 

B0B7954B-4666-4833-905E-EA3833B30795.jpeg

Finally felt like I had the gusto to attempt this fly. Needs one or two more thin coats of silicone and some more around the hook eye for extra support. Then it’s time to swim test

44581060-E7DA-446C-87C0-7CB056B6F86C.jpeg

17 hours ago, Sngl2th said:

How did she swim/catch?

Swims super well, just haven’t had the right conditions to fish it how I want to. Maybe this summer in a Boulder field somewhere..