Ice fishing 2020/2021

Rate this topic

Corpslave

22 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

My vote would be to leave this one and keep adding.

It's up to the OP couldn't he change the years in the title?

Good point rrbf.  Having two ice fishing threads might have contributors flip flopping between the two threads. 

The Sultan of Sluggo

10 hours ago, mikez2 said:

It is a strange thing that I get too cold surf casting or trout fishing when cold weather sets in but have no problem standing on the ice all day without a shelter. 

Of course I dress entirely different and wear different boots for ice fishing. That helps.

I haven't found my age has made a difference for my temperature tolerance. If anything I last longer than my boys.

Unfortunately, I think my 15 year old may have got a touch of frostbite on his hands at some point because he is extremely sensitive to cold hands. He really suffers. I'm hoping he grows out of it.

Where old age really sucks RE ice fishing, it's the lugging of gear and pulling sleds. 

All my favorite trout ponds require longish walks up steep hills. Bad enough to pull a sled up the hill. Much worse is carrying it all on my back when there's no snow. And pulling a sled with no snow is worse.

I need a wheeled cart.

Get one of these gorilla carts. I have one for yardwork but it would probably work great for ice fishing when there’s no snow. 

DDF44C8D-2C7F-4F1C-9A69-9DFD1B004235.jpeg

9 hours ago, z-man said:

Get one of these gorilla carts. I have one for yardwork but it would probably work great for ice fishing when there’s no snow. 

DDF44C8D-2C7F-4F1C-9A69-9DFD1B004235.jpeg

What z said.  I own one of those. Don't use it for ice fishing, only around the yard.  Well made, plus love the dump feature.

The Sultan of Sluggo

It has been awhile since I have strung up a reel on an ice tippet. WE did not have braid as i recall. Has any one used braid on the reels and does it not freeze up or does it faster then the line we often used on 50 spools . Dacron My younger son now lives in Maine near some great ponds and lakes that freeze up during the winter and I would like to help set some of the ones I have in my store for him to use . Any recommendations on the line[pound test] and or material used would be helpful. Peace and Prayers 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

15 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

It has been awhile since I have strung up a reel on an ice tippet. WE did not have braid as i recall. Has any one used braid on the reels and does it not freeze up or does it faster then the line we often used on 50 spools . Dacron My younger son now lives in Maine near some great ponds and lakes that freeze up during the winter and I would like to help set some of the ones I have in my store for him to use . Any recommendations on the line[pound test] and or material used would be helpful. Peace and Prayers 

I haven't Ice fished for long but on my tip ups I run a main line meant for ice fishing with tip ups that is a thicker material tied to a light barrel swivel. my leader will depend on what I am targeting that day for trout maybe three/four feet of six pound fluorocarbon for bass that same leader might work but I would probably bump it to eight or 10 lb test. For pike I use wire leaders. 

13 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

My vote would be to leave this one and keep adding.

It's up to the OP couldn't he change the years in the title?

The disadvantage of changing the title on this thread is the 15 + pages from last year would be included in the 21 - 22 thread. Probably not a big deal but someone might want to find last year's posts and get confused. 

Also if someone new wanted to read posts from this season, they'd have to scroll through 15 pages from last season. 

Hmmm.  And me not even an ice fisherman ... yet, if someone wants to see what current icefishing is like, this winter, a single thread means a lot of wading (chipping?) through posts that are long  past relevance.

Corpslave, you are expected to be the first useful poster. :)