Corpslave

Ice fishing 2020/2021

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

15 mins ago, z-man said:

Has anyone been out lately? This up and down weather is not cooperating with making any ice. 

My sons have been hitting a small pond in NH.

I walked on ice in north central Ma before Christmas weekend but didn't fish. Now I wouldn't trust it.

Good news is larger ponds are starting to be sealed up. That's half the battle. Once the entire surface is iced over, the wind can't play as much of a role to slow the process. 

I wish the 7 day forecast was colder but at least it's not another thaw.

I fished Saturday on 5” of MA ice in the early morning rain and windy afternoon. Not much to show for it but one solid run and dump. There is ice around just got to travel to find it. The shallower lakes and coves can hold ice surprisingly well as long as there are cold night temperatures.

1 hour ago, TBYRD said:

Larrys are hungry under the 4" at my local pond :beers:

20210107_121636.jpg

Aldrich looked crap the other day maybe the backside is better. Not much ice around.

Yesterday I  checked a couple early spots in upper pioneer valley and saw where a number of people had gone out but a little poking with the spud made change my mind. 
Either the ice further out was better or those dudes were crazy. 
I’ll be on it by next week though. Hopefully some good cold comes in and locks things up.

2 mins ago, SkunkLuvver said:

Yesterday I  checked a couple early spots in upper pioneer valley and saw where a number of people had gone out but a little poking with the spud made change my mind. 
Either the ice further out was better or those dudes were crazy. 
I’ll be on it by next week though. Hopefully some good cold comes in and locks things up.

Definitely some crazy dudes around these days.

Used to be a fairly safe rule, if guys were out there, it was safe.

There seems to be a new mentality out there that takes more chances or just plain haven't learned yet.

Last year was particularly bad because of the mild winter and stuff would freeze and thaw and freeze and thaw. Guys were getting antsy and pushing their luck. I was out checking ice one weekend last year and saw a group on Badacook. I started walking out to talk to them but the ice looked stetchy. I took my pick and it went through in one poke. It was early with 50 degree Temps forecasted for later. The boat ramp was breaking up along the shore. I got the hell out of there. I don't know how long they stayed but I bet they got wet coming off.

Some guys surprise me with their careless attitude. I hear guys say they're confident they can get out if they fall in. They put they're trust in ice suits. One guy even got all indignant with me and said something like "I know what I'm doing. I've fallen through multiple times and I'm still alive." ;)

I guess I'm just old fashioned. I got a 40+ year streak going and I don't intend to break it.

4 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Definitely some crazy dudes around these days.

Used to be a fairly safe rule, if guys were out there, it was safe.

There seems to be a new mentality out there that takes more chances or just plain haven't learned yet.

Last year was particularly bad because of the mild winter and stuff would freeze and thaw and freeze and thaw. Guys were getting antsy and pushing their luck. I was out checking ice one weekend last year and saw a group on Badacook. I started walking out to talk to them but the ice looked stetchy. I took my pick and it went through in one poke. It was early with 50 degree Temps forecasted for later. The boat ramp was breaking up along the shore. I got the hell out of there. I don't know how long they stayed but I bet they got wet coming off.

Some guys surprise me with their careless attitude. I hear guys say they're confident they can get out if they fall in. They put they're trust in ice suits. One guy even got all indignant with me and said something like "I know what I'm doing. I've fallen through multiple times and I'm still alive." ;)

I guess I'm just old fashioned. I got a 40+ year streak going and I don't intend to break it.

A lot of guys have the attitude that going out on thin ice makes them a hero or badass. They need to brag about it online. Is it really worth dying or losing all of your gear to catch some perch or pickerel? Even if the worst that happens is you fall in and kill your phone it’s still a $400-1000 loss. I don’t go out on anything less than 4”. 

12 hours ago, mikez2 said:

One guy even got all indignant with me and said something like "I know what I'm doing. I've fallen through multiple times and I'm still alive."

Remember the movie Better Off Dead? "I've been going to this high school for seven years. I'm no dummy!"

15 mins ago, TBYRD said:

D600AAD8-95A8-46CB-851A-32153514F97B.jpeg.1ac1d319773dc28677cab3cc50cf810a.jpeg

Last year I was checking a pond in Ayer. I saw snowmobile tracks go on the pond from the boat ramp. I was surprised. Didn't think the ice was safe. There were no return tracks. I didn't think much of it because the tracks went out of sight around a bend. I figured they got off somewhere else. 

A week later I was down there and the police and fire rescue team were there.

Apparently he was dead in the water the whole time. A loner that wasn't reported missing for over a week.

First pull with the trap.

Been holding off on overloading the bait tank. Last year I sat on bait I couldn't use a good part of the season. Not that I couldn't use it really, just wasn't willing to drive the hour + to find safe ice.

This year I'm getting pressed by me kid. I got my NH license so I can go north to find ice.

20210108_144301.jpg

Finally got on the ice. First fish of 2021. Possibly the latest start ever. Had to go north of the border for good ice.

My boys did well, chased lots of flags. Mostly small pickerel, but way better than watching TV all day. Fish of the day was the beautifully colored jumbo perch my son got. Looks a little "long armed" in the pic but really was a nice fish.

Was pretty crowded for a small pond. Unfortunately the Googan factor tainted the experience to some degree. The large crowd next to us had a fire on the ice despite the fact it was water dept land with "no fires" signs everywhere. They also tossed all their pickerel on the ice to die. They were even using them for hockey pucks. Sucky attitude in my opinion. 

I ended up carrying out a heavy bag of trash including numerous booze cans and a couple of empty propane bottles. 

As a former water dept worker, I know how much those guys hate fishermen. It's surprising that city even allows fishing on water dept land at all. Crap like that is all they need to shut the gates forever. 

20210109_174218.jpg

20210109_133317.jpg

20210109_113015.jpg

Looks like the kids had a good time and great that you showed them the right way to do things. My GF is new to ice fishing and some of the behavior we see is almost bad enough to make her to give it up just to not be associated.