Corpslave

Ice fishing 2020/2021

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Bwstriper44 said:

Ice fishing is a sport a find people either love or hate. Seems like there’s no in between. 
I feel the same way about hunting as you do ice fishing. Sit in a tree hopping and waiting  for a deer to walk by. Not my idea of a good time. And yes I realize this isn’t the only way to hunt. You can track etc etc etc.

Just like all ice fishermen don’t stand around and wait for a flag to go up. Myself personally i use a flasher to find schools of crappie and perch. I find them to be good eating. The flags are just a bonus. 
It all just comes down to personal preference. 

Yeah,steelhead fishing is kinda like that,it's not for everyone.But it's river fishing (my favorite kind) for a strong fighting fish at a time when not much else is biting.

Looove to eat some fresh panfish but most of that for me is in spring.

When I do seminars on Ice Fishing I always ask; "how many of you bring your boat out to a lake and anchor it all season long on one spot? Then why do many of you bring your shanty out to a spot and leave it there all winter?" Mobility is key to ice fishing, I think of every hole I cut as casting to a new spot; 3 min. jigging a hole, 30 with a tip-up, I move unless something is happening. Past few years for me, it has been all about jigging up predators;

4oAoxlSm.jpg

wfdgELOm.jpg

E611w6Gm.jpg

On 12/21/2020 at 6:39 PM, slip n slide said:

I tried ice fishing a couple times.Now I know what it must be like to be in prison staring at the same spot for hours w/ nothing happening...

Why on earth would you stay in 1 spot for hours while you were not catching fish?  I don't think you would sit and cast over the same piece of empty beach or anchored over a fishless spot for hours.  Know the bottom you are fishing over (FF or chart) and work your way up and down drop offs, around weed beds, change baits, jigs, depths, etc...  It's still fishing, fish.

sam

3 hours ago, sams said:

Why on earth would you stay in 1 spot for hours while you were not catching fish?  I don't think you would sit and cast over the same piece of empty beach or anchored over a fishless spot for hours.  Know the bottom you are fishing over (FF or chart) and work your way up and down drop offs, around weed beds, change baits, jigs, depths, etc...  It's still fishing, fish.

sam

we had multiple holes drilled and would cycle through them as the day wore on,did catch some fish but not many and no keepers,boring AF

3 hours ago, sams said:

sam

I will say, when targeting trout in a pond I'm very familiar with, I will leave tip ups in place for awhile. I know a good spot is a good spot and the trout should come through eventually. 

Trying out new ponds I'm more likely to move around until I find an active spot.

Targeting panfish for jigging we usually make a crap load of holes and move around a lot to find and stay with the schools.

I came up before the age of electronics when we had to read a pond by eye and try to judge bottom type, weeds etc by bouncing lead sounders off the bottom. I still find that the most rewarding and get much enjoyment from successfully solving the puzzle with my fish sense.

My fishing buddy and my sons are hooked on their electronics to the point where they feel they can't live without them. They feel blind and helpless if their battery dies.

I will say, when it comes to jigging panfish, the electronics is a huge advantage and also a lot of fun, at least for them. I'm still somewhat immune to the charm of staring at a screen instead of enjoying the natural experience. 

Which is not to say I'm not happy to get in on the action when they find the schools for me.

I drill as many holes as I can to get whatever action the waters will provide.

My thinking (when it comes to panfish) is that the fish don't usually stick to one spot all day long, and move around to feed.

Why would I stick to one spot and hope they come back? I move around to increase my chances.

As for fishing, I spend more time now jigging than using tip-ups. Not that I don't use tip-ups, but that I can get more action with a 1/16 oz. jig and half a dillie than out of a medium shiner.

I took a co-worker and her daughter and husband out fishing last year. The 6 year old girl took to ice fishing like a duck to water, to the point she was tending traps by herself, and catching some big bass and pickerel.

The worst times for me are the transitional time from the thaw to open water (spring) and from open water to first ice (fall).

finding fishing opportunities is tough during those times. 

we had multiple holes drilled and would cycle through them as the day wore on,did catch some fish but not many and no keepers,boring AF

slip n slide, Happy to take you out some time ice fish, I am sure I can put you on some fish and keep it from getting boring... Just let me know.

If jigging pan fish is what your into; or catching bass and pickerel; then yes moving around produces. Do what you enjoy. Seems like a lot of judgement coming from the “hardcore” Ice fishermen. I set up tilts before the sun goes up and don’t walk into them until sun goes down. Dont check baits; move sets; clear ice; etc unless a flag goes up. Many times they don’t; but when they do it’s worth the wait. Also I drink plenty of beers while waiting and eat tons of food....Some pics from the past few years...6E358FF7-E352-407E-9322-553F857C6EC6.png.209c2fb001f690205f1a1c145771a5ce.pngB6EF6605-D065-4DCB-8458-57FA43AFDCFC.jpeg.10a2d4847ea16b29c43070178855a214.jpegEAE7166F-A744-40E7-97A8-9E94F5288041.png.40532cab998d1f999c47b03f636e05f7.pngE1EDEA84-BB94-4655-A018-71F4C1672D56.png.ea8b566643daf88d05c130590e5ab2bd.png

90C6823E-5230-4E5E-8D35-688AA2CF70A2.png

On 12/22/2020 at 2:28 PM, Stripernut1 said:

When I do seminars on Ice Fishing I always ask; "how many of you bring your boat out to a lake and anchor it all season long on one spot? Then why do many of you bring your shanty out to a spot and leave it there all winter?" Mobility is key to ice fishing, I think of every hole I cut as casting to a new spot; 3 min. jigging a hole, 30 with a tip-up, I move unless something is happening. Past few years for me, it has been all about jigging up predators;

4oAoxlSm.jpg

wfdgELOm.jpg

E611w6Gm.jpg

Not a bad tactic for jigging. Depending on what you are targeting that could be a good idea or terrible idea with tilts

On 12/23/2020 at 8:40 PM, CcCstriper89 said:

If jigging pan fish is what your into; or catching bass and pickerel; then yes moving around produces. Do what you enjoy. Seems like a lot of judgement coming from the “hardcore” Ice fishermen. I set up tilts before the sun goes up and don’t walk into them until sun goes down. Dont check baits; move sets; clear ice; etc unless a flag goes up. Many times they don’t; but when they do it’s worth the wait. Also I drink plenty of beers while waiting and eat tons of food....Some pics from the past few years...6E358FF7-E352-407E-9322-553F857C6EC6.png.209c2fb001f690205f1a1c145771a5ce.pngB6EF6605-D065-4DCB-8458-57FA43AFDCFC.jpeg.10a2d4847ea16b29c43070178855a214.jpegEAE7166F-A744-40E7-97A8-9E94F5288041.png.40532cab998d1f999c47b03f636e05f7.pngE1EDEA84-BB94-4655-A018-71F4C1672D56.png.ea8b566643daf88d05c130590e5ab2bd.png

90C6823E-5230-4E5E-8D35-688AA2CF70A2.png

My son is dying to ice fish for pike/musky. Amazing fish. 

Not a bad tactic for jigging. Depending on what you are targeting that could be a good idea or terrible idea with tilts

With the possible exception of pike (I don't often target, but have caught many over the years) I find moving tilts very important, it is all about finding the "hot" holes, the ones that will produce the fish... Of course, there are exceptions, fishing for walleye in shallow water at night, you better not be swiss cheesing at midnight... Once I find the holes that are producing there is often no more time (or need) for moving, too busy catching fish!

One of the great things about fishing (hard and soft) is there are many ways we can all participate, none of it is "wrong" when I am ice fishing I often get dehydrated if I am not careful, as I don't stop to eat or drink. I am there to fish and it is a technique that produces for me and many others. For many anglers, it is the social part that they like and for others, it is the solitude, none of it is wrong or right, but for me, when I am out there it is about chasing down the fish, figuring out a fishery, and best of all feeling a tug on my line.  If we anglers wanted conformity, we would all be golfers (shutter)... Tight lines and best of luck in whatever type of fishing you do!