Corpslave

Ice fishing 2020/2021

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Hit the ice yesterday in the Springfield area and they were biting. A 14" crappy and a 6.25 lbs bass where the highlights And a bunch of pickerel, smaller crappy and bass.   The ice was 3-4 of black and snow ice but it was solid.IMG_20201221_131233_895.jpg.825dc2eb12e71adf835692ee8cf612cb.jpgIMG_20201221_131233_909.jpg.c613cd630f1b43f695996ff5a389a459.jpgIMG_20201221_131233_911.jpg.172fb4f5dc3d4afee9238c37f0a5cc82.jpgIMG_20201221_131233_916.jpg.8bea3b920f9a1541114051eb09a5251c.jpg23297.jpeg.0ed35cfb40b4548ffc4c7ea427fc036c.jpeg

Edited by Corpslave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

been out myself for the last 2 weeks. been jigging up my bait supply for the season

I tried jigging for big goldens but my place is filled with blue gills and crappy.  In the summer I catch them with small inline spinners going to trout but not threw the ice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, Corpslave said:

I tried jigging for big goldens but my place is filled with blue gills and crappy.  In the summer I catch them with small inline spinners going to trout but not threw the ice. 

all in finding a school. its hard work but well worth it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

all in finding a school. its hard work but well worth it

Not locations; but got any tips on finding them through the ice. Are you using a flasher? I have seen them caught here and there but have never found them consistently or on purpose. How much time are you spending on the ice for approx how many goldies? I primarily pike fish but run big dead baits because they work and are more readily available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 mins ago, CcCstriper89 said:

Not locations; but got any tips on finding them through the ice. Are you using a flasher? I have seen them caught here and there but have never found them consistently or on purpose. How much time are you spending on the ice for approx how many goldies? I primarily pike fish but run big dead baits because they work and are more readily available.

I focus on 3 to 10ft weed flats. my go to ponds im hoping for 2 dozen an hour. all in location and covering water. drilled 45 holes today and only got 3 which stunk. I don't use a flasher just super light rods and watch the tip. I deadstick the rod

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, slip n slide said:

I tried ice fishing a couple times.Now I know what it must be like to be in prison staring at the same spot for hours w/ nothing happening...

^^^ This. 
 

I met a friend in RI. I ask “did you pick this spot because of a weed edge, drop off or something other structure?”

 

My friend “no I just drill hole and put shiners in the holes”

 

Not my idea of a good time. 

Edited by ged

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I focus on 3 to 10ft weed flats. my go to ponds im hoping for 2 dozen an hour. all in location and covering water. drilled 45 holes today and only got 3 which stunk. I don't use a flasher just super light rods and watch the tip. I deadstick the rod

 

Cool thanks. Any go to jigs or are you running bait like bread balls? Have heard guys chum areas but don’t know anybody personally that catches their own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, ged said:

 

 

My friend “no I just drill hole and put shiners in the holes”

 

 

These are the people who give ice fishing a bad name. That and the drunks.

 

While slow days are obviously going to happen like in all fishing, a good day of ice fishing is about as exciting as it gets.

That's why we get so geeked out with anxiousness waiting for ice and so bummed when it thaws.

 

For me, even a slow day of ice fishing is at least as exciting as bait fishing from shore and way more exciting than trolling (which is something I just can't enjoy).

 

Generally speaking, people who go out with unsuccessful fishermen and people who go out under-dressed or in the wrong boots tend to have a negative view of ice fishing.

Those who get a taste of chasing flags or jigging on a hot school will be sold, especially if they stay warm enough.

I have found over the years though, it's a matter of taste and some people just aren't gonna like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, CcCstriper89 said:

 

Cool thanks. Any go to jigs or are you running bait like bread balls? Have heard guys chum areas but don’t know anybody personally that catches their own. 

hali jig is the way. I use spikes (maggots) as bait. chum with crumpled up bread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, mikez2 said:

These are the people who give ice fishing a bad name. That and the drunks.

 

While slow days are obviously going to happen like in all fishing, a good day of ice fishing is about as exciting as it gets.

That's why we get so geeked out with anxiousness waiting for ice and so bummed when it thaws.

 

For me, even a slow day of ice fishing is at least as exciting as bait fishing from shore and way more exciting than trolling (which is something I just can't enjoy).

 

Generally speaking, people who go out with unsuccessful fishermen and people who go out under-dressed or in the wrong boots tend to have a negative view of ice fishing.

Those who get a taste of chasing flags or jigging on a hot school will be sold, especially if they stay warm enough.

I have found over the years though, it's a matter of taste and some people just aren't gonna like it.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 mins ago, slip n slide said:

I tried ice fishing a couple times.Now I know what it must be like to be in prison staring at the same spot for hours w/ nothing happening...

Ice fishing is a sport a find people either love or hate. Seems like there’s no in between. 
I feel the same way about hunting as you do ice fishing. Sit in a tree hopping and waiting  for a deer to walk by. Not my idea of a good time. And yes I realize this isn’t the only way to hunt. You can track etc etc etc.

Just like all ice fishermen don’t stand around and wait for a flag to go up. Myself personally i use a flasher to find schools of crappie and perch. I find them to be good eating. The flags are just a bonus. 
It all just comes down to personal preference. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ged said:

^^^ This. 
 

I met a friend in RI. I ask “did you pick this spot because of a weed edge, drop off or something other structure?”

 

My friend “no I just drill hole and put shiners in the holes”

 

Not my idea of a good time. 

That’s the old school style of ice fishing. The new method is too stay mobile and use electronics to find the fish, drop offs, etc. Similar to how you would fish in a boat. Keep moving until you find some life, unless your goal is too just eat and get drunk. My goal is to catch fish. 
Hopefully we get some ice in the east this year. Last year there was none. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I ice fish it’s definitely a ‘fishin mission’ and I work hard drilling holes, finding structure and hopefully fish.

When it looks like things aren’t going to pan out drunk is usually the instant backup plan.

 

There are places I fish where I’m serious about it and places I fish as an excuse to eat food and drink beers. Usually depends on the crew I’m with and the amount of action.

 

When I’m fishing alone it’s serious biz :naughty:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.